Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Big site announcement

253K views 74 replies 31 participants last post by  Badmalky 
#1 ·
Good morning everyone,

Since I created the Planetisuzoo web forum in 2003 the community here has grown and matured. With it I have managed to keep up with demand, as well as make some improvements along the way. While I have enjoyed making the site available to you all and enjoying the company of the members around here, I have decided to transition the ownership and maintenance to someone else. I intend to stick around and participate (hopefully more with the extra time I'll have available), and the rest of the moderation team will still be around as well. You can pretty much expect things to be business as usual around here.

When I decided to explore options for lightening my load on the back-end side I was looking for options that would perhaps allow for better support from someone who does this every day. I ended up reaching out to AutoGuide.com, a company with many automotive enthusiast websites under their management. While I would have liked to discuss the transition process with you all publicly, that was not an option due to the terms of the transfer.

The website has already transitioned to AutoGuide.com's servers, and soon you'll see a new member or two on the mod team from AutoGuide.com. You can reach out to any of them with questions or concerns, or any of the existing moderators.

As I have mentioned numerous times before, I can't thank you all enough. It really is the easy-going members here who make the community what it is. Because of the AutoGuide.com method of maintaining the uniqueness of the sites that they control, I have little worry that Planetisuzoo will continue to be as wonderful as it is now, and for the foreseeable future.

As always, if you have any questions, please ask.

-Tad

See less See more
#27 ·
imamonstertruck said:
AG_Admin said:
JoeIsuzu said:
AG_Admin said:
what is the concern?
-Philip
What Isuzu do you own?

I suspect that may summarize anyone's concern.

Jack
Hi Jack,
My primary focus is to handle the technical aspects of the site not manage the community. I work for the company that acquired the site, me personally not owning an Isuzoo should have little bearing on my ability to make sure you can post and participate. Unless there is an issue with your account or the site; or you have an idea to make the site better there should be little to no interaction between us. I would not worry much since Tad is still here and staying here. Same people you know and love that run the day to day here are still the same.
-Philip
Isuzoo or Isuzu?

TAD... Ive always trusted your judgment. May your shoulders rest easy my friend.

Cheers
-Ian
Yeah, I caught that, too. :lol: But he made it pretty clear that his role is to do the technical stuff, so I didn't comment. I echo your comment to Tad! :)

Jack

#30 ·
I have nothing against Phillip, or Auto Guide. However I will point out some things.

There's a big difference between a site being owned and managed by someone who is a direct member of the community, an enthusiast of the subject of the forum. And a site being owned and administrated by a corporation.

Tad I'm sure wasn't making any money off this, if anything, he probably was spending his own personal money and time maintaining the site. AutoGuide isn't going to do that. They aren't interested in our Isuzus, they just need a platform to generate revenue.

Hence my concern.

#31 ·
mudoilngears said:
I have nothing against Phillip, or Auto Guide. However I will point out some things.

There's a big difference between a site being owned and managed by someone who is a direct member of the community, an enthusiast of the subject of the forum. And a site being owned and administrated by a corporation.

Tad I'm sure wasn't making any money off this, if anything, he probably was spending his own personal money and time maintaining the site. AutoGuide isn't going to do that. They aren't interested in our Isuzus, they just need a platform to generate revenue.

Hence my concern.
I guess to me, the concern is silly at this point since its already done and probably can't be undone. Not trying to be a jerk to you for voicing your concern, but in the end, it was Tad's decision to make and he did what he felt was best for the forum. I am sure that he didn't enter into this lightly and probably weighed all the pros and cons of it all. I think we should all just trust that his decision to make this change will continue to keep the forum going for a long time. I understand that change is always a hard thing to accept, even when the change is relatively small in its impact on us.

#32 ·
Thanks to everyone for the past and ongoing efforts on this page. Most important thing to me is that all of the valuable information contributed over the years remains easily accessible for years to come. In my personal opinion the message board atmosphere is changing rapidly over the last few years due to the "on demand" social media boards out there. I like many other folks have been active on various message boards over the last decade plus. Prior to that I guess it was the old yahoo sub groups. I had come accustomed to using message boards as a technical resource and like minded community hangout. It's the later part that I thing is quickly making a move over to Facebook message boards. I am personally guilty of spending more time on Facebook for the day to day group chatter and only coming to the message board for technical discussions.

#33 ·
The owning part is a company. The operating part of the site is still split with us making sure the lights stay on and Tad plus the other team members keeping the spirit maintained. I am not interested in meddling with how you manage things here only interested in making sure you all talk still talk about your vehicles, post photos, buy/sell etc.
-Philip

#34 ·
*********As long as the site isn't so overly bombarded with adverts that it crashes due to long running scripts (happens on many other auto sites I frequent for my other vehicles- namely Toyota and Ford sites) I'll be okay with it.*************

#36 ·
I"m sure the more Philip is around the forum, the chances are we can talk him into getting a Zoo of his own :D

I don't post a whole bunch, but I have searched and read just about every tech/how-to and member's build thread in this forum, and I am eternally grateful of all that this place has to offer. It is because of this group/forum, that I refuse to give up my truck. Tad, thank you for all that you have done. Hopefully I will be able to see you out on the trail, and not just on the forum.

#38 ·
Just saw this. :shock:

Actually I'm not surprised. Most of the forums I'm on are small ones like this. Most have gone a similar route as owners get overwhelmed or move on to different interests. I'm kinda surprised Tad has been able to hold out as long as he has. My feeling has been that this site has been a burden on him for a while.

My big concern is not advertising but rather site policing over the long haul. I've been on a couple of other forums AG has bought and it didn't take long for certain policies to take hold. One was No Politics. Tad has always been tolerant of such talk here and over the years the site has been very good at self policing such topics and though they can occasionally get heated they rarely boil over. Too many corporate sites have clamped down on subjects that are not Politically correct or that the Corps feel uncomfortable with. Time will tell how that pans out.

The whole Isuzu scene is changing as time moves on. People get old and tired of wrenching. Parts sources are drying up for our limited aftermarket and for replacement parts. A lot depends on what we continue to do with our hobby.

Tad good luck as you move on! :D :eek:ccasion5: Hopefully you will still make the occasional GW or URE trip no matter what you are driving!

Phil, Welcome to the Zu! Hopefully AG will be true to your word.

#39 ·
squatch said:
My big concern is not advertising but rather site policing over the long haul.
Generally speaking, this falls under the "moderator" role, not the "admin" role. Sometimes the roles are combined or shared, but they're now divided here.

I agreed to host (and admin) a site for another special interest group, under the condition that I do not have ANY responsibilities as a moderator. The moderators essentially shape the direction of the site, not the admin.

Jack

#40 ·
Tad, just wanted to say that you have done a great job for over a decade. Like many others, I am surprised that you lasted this long after the arrival for your children. Hopefully, you will have time to meet up with us on one of the runs to GWNF or Uwharrie.

Philip, welcome to the Planet. Please don't take some of the comments personally. This forum has been more than a source of info for many of us. It has been the way we stay in touch with our extended (Isuzu) family and a way for many of us to harmlessly blow off steam. So it is not surprising that many have expressed some concerns.

#41 ·
Here! Here! for Tad!

Thanks Tad for all you've done for the forum and all the people who inhabit it's honeycomb of people who pop in - some like myself - who take longish leaves of absence.

There have been some antagonists but mostly some really nice people who want to truly help everyone else. It's been a good site in all the time I've seen or read even the dismissive ones taken into consideration too.

You even let me literally write short books here when I felt especially verbose. Thanks for that too.

It's all been very good. Thank-you for quietly watching and nudging when the wheels were starting to lose a lug nut or two.

#42 ·
Just wanted to add thanks to Tad for all he has done and cheers to the new admin. Please try to keep the forum as it has been. I must admit, the other similar forums I visit in regard to my other vehicles are not nearly as well put together as this one. And, if I may say so- the posters here seem to be of a higher caliber- more intelligent, knowledgeable, affable, and above all *helpful*. Seems much more like a family here.

#43 ·
jerm1383 said:
I"m sure the more Philip is around the forum, the chances are we can talk him into getting a Zoo of his own :D

I don't post a whole bunch, but I have searched and read just about every tech/how-to and member's build thread in this forum, and I am eternally grateful of all that this place has to offer. It is because of this group/forum, that I refuse to give up my truck. Tad, thank you for all that you have done. Hopefully I will be able to see you out on the trail, and not just on the forum.
After I pay off a wedding and move out of my tiny apartment with no good parking the wife and I will be in the market for a new vehicle.
-Philip

#44 ·
squatch said:
Just saw this. :shock:
Actually I'm not surprised. Most of the forums I'm on are small ones like this. Most have gone a similar route as owners get overwhelmed or move on to different interests. I'm kinda surprised Tad has been able to hold out as long as he has. My feeling has been that this site has been a burden on him for a while.
My big concern is not advertising but rather site policing over the long haul. I've been on a couple of other forums AG has bought and it didn't take long for certain policies to take hold. One was No Politics. Tad has always been tolerant of such talk here and over the years the site has been very good at self policing such topics and though they can occasionally get heated they rarely boil over. Too many corporate sites have clamped down on subjects that are not Politically correct or that the Corps feel uncomfortable with. Time will tell how that pans out.
The whole Isuzu scene is changing as time moves on. People get old and tired of wrenching. Parts sources are drying up for our limited aftermarket and for replacement parts. A lot depends on what we continue to do with our hobby.
Tad good luck as you move on! :D :eek:ccasion5: Hopefully you will still make the occasional GW or URE trip no matter what you are driving!
Phil, Welcome to the Zu! Hopefully AG will be true to your word.
Tad's rules will stay the site rules. You can discuss politics all you like. On the rare occasion I have seen no political discussions enforced on a site it was due to existing moderators that no longer wanted to pick a side or spend all the time they have on the site policing the off topic. I love reading political discussions and on sites the company I work for does not own from time to time I partake in the debate. This is a largely self policed community and I trust that all healthy debates can and will continue here.
-Philip

#45 ·
JoeIsuzu said:
squatch said:
My big concern is not advertising but rather site policing over the long haul.
Generally speaking, this falls under the "moderator" role, not the "admin" role. Sometimes the roles are combined or shared, but they're now divided here.
I agreed to host (and admin) a site for another special interest group, under the condition that I do not have ANY responsibilities as a moderator. The moderators essentially shape the direction of the site, not the admin.
Jack
And Hats Off to all the very hard working mods on the team.
-Philip

#47 ·
Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future. -John F. Kennedy

Arch

#48 ·
Cool, but if this all falls through or anything, I would not mind taking over. I may not be the most mechanically competent or add much to the forum, but I am a web administrator (and that does include a good amount of experience with phpbb, as in, daily..)

#50 ·
Hello All -- and greetings from your long-lost, seemingly interminably absentee Forum Admin/Mod -- it's your old buddy, Smiley, finally back from the e-grave!

I am (obviously!) just now reading of this news (since, for quite some time, I've been unable to login to the site, due to assorted virus & hardware issues)...

(1) Congratulations, Tad, on your newfound spare time *(a commodity that I am quite certain was both needed and welcomed!)
(2) Being away for as long as I was, in returning, I see absolutely no noticeable differences in the site -- it's business as usual, as far as I can tell.
(3) Hello, Phillip! Looks like the ship is sailing-along and maintaining a good tack. Cheers to the (mostly) unseen man behind the curtain!
*(and when the time comes for that New Car Purchase, for heaven's sake, go buy a NEW CAR -- only when the time comes for that 'I want some-kind-of-a used, utilitarian/weekend get-away SUV' sort of purchase: *then* we'll try to steer you toward the Kool-Ade!) 8) :lol:
(4) Now that I am back from the Bermuda Triangle, I hope be participating again (perhaps not quite as much as in years past), and lending a hand now-and-then.

Cheers!
Smiley
^(...that loquacious/chatterbox 'E-ZooZoo guy') ;)

**(and would ya just look how much shorter my posts are, now that I've been marooned out in social media land for so long!) :p :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.