Isuzu SUV Forum banner

2001 Rodeo 20mph max

10K views 42 replies 10 participants last post by  Buster28 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. I have a 2001 Isuzu Rodeo 3.2L V6. Recently I experienced power problems. One morning as I drove to work, It felt like my transmission was slipping as I pulled off and on my first right turn. The engine just revved for a second but it went away quickly. Then about two weeks later as I was leaving work it did the same thing. But as I was driving about 40mph my Rodeo just slowed down gradually and I could only get a max of 20mph. Anything after the speedometer hits 20mph, the engine just revs. There is no check engine light, no reduced power light, no check transmission light, and no warning lights at all. I can shift with no hesitation (P,R,D etc.) but can't get over 20mph. Good fuel pressure. New spark plugs. No vacuum leaks. Does it sound like the transmission oil is too low or something worse? I am stuck. Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm new, so don't be too harsh on me. I've heard great things about this site. So I am hoping you all can help. Thanks in advance for any help.

#27 ·
The resistance of the speed sensor is typical for that type of device. Further, if the PCM did not receive a correct signal from the speed sensor DTC P0722 should be set along with the CEL being illuminated. Additionally, the speed sensor is not involved in selecting Winter Mode which is not working as expected.

Since the wiring from the PCM to the solenoids is OK and the solenoids are new, it is possible the PCM is defective. To see if the PCM is properly controlling the shift solenoids you could hook up a Red and a Green 12 Vdc LED in parallel with each solenoid. When the PCM energizes the solenoid the LED will also illuminate. If you use Red for shift A and Green for shift B you can tell what the PCM is commanding. The alternative is too obtain a scan tool that can monitor the shift solenoids.

#29 ·
You can get the LED's at Amazon. The LED has a positive and negative lead. The positive of each LED is connected to E-22 Pin 43. The Green negative to E-21 Pin 5 (Shift A) and the Red negative to E-22 Pin 31 (Shift B). Basically, your substituting a LED in place of the ohm meter. Ideally you would want to splice wires to the vehicle harness wires and run them to the LED's located where you can see them.

The PCM energizes the solenoid by grounding the control which is why the positives are connected to E-22 Pin 43 which is +12 Vdc supply.

RED
http://www.amazon.com/Qty-Lights--wired ... led+lights

Green
http://www.amazon.com/Lights-wired-volt ... 160%2C160_

#31 ·
Same exact problem here to. What did uou do to gix it ?
Mine 2002 rodeo 3.2 4x4
I replaced. Solenoid A ..Solenoid B ...Control Solenoid. ..filter..gasket.....mode select swith .....mine will mot go forward with winter mode on....winter mode light works...power mode drives but same as if in drive position. ..I get only about 20 mph no shifting still. No trans light. No reduded power light.

#32 ·
hey rideforlifevegas I talk to buster he is a really good help and looks like is the transmission not electric like we was thinking he say is probably one of the couch to be exact is maybe the second cluch and the reason for that at least on my case was cause I have to drive it with very low ATF on it! if you can work on transmission there is an other conversation he got about this and he share a video where they show how to do it you self. am not that good about that so I will take it to a shop and I will post what happens when I get it back good look!

#34 ·
I've got the same problem. I've been slowly working on my 2000 Rodeo for a few months. The CEL has been on with numerous codes including EGR, O2 sensor and shift solenoid. After removing and cleaning the EGR, MAF and throttle body I took the truck for a drive and as it shifted 3-4 it fell out of gear and would not accelerate beyond 20 mph. I've since dropped the transmission pan, pulled the valve body and removed the A and B solenoids. Both register appropriate ohms (~20 when cold), but when I applied a current to each from my battery the B solenoid would close but the A solenoid would not. I'm hopeful (not too much) that a new A solenoid will resolve the issue - but am prepared for defeat.

#35 ·
charlesdarwin said:
I've got the same problem. I've been slowly working on my 2000 Rodeo for a few months. The CEL has been on with numerous codes including EGR, O2 sensor and shift solenoid. After removing and cleaning the EGR, MAF and throttle body I took the truck for a drive and as it shifted 3-4 it fell out of gear and would not accelerate beyond 20 mph. I've since dropped the transmission pan, pulled the valve body and removed the A and B solenoids. Both register appropriate ohms (~20 when cold), but when I applied a current to each from my battery the B solenoid would close but the A solenoid would not. I'm hopeful (not too much) that a new A solenoid will resolve the issue - but am prepared for defeat.
Hows your trans fluid? smell burnt? Mine was diagnosed by a shop, they said its shot... hard to find a low mile used trans, rebuilt ones are expensive, so looks like Im stuck rebuilding it myself :/

#36 ·
I'm probably there with you, but don't have the skills to rebuild myself. I inherited this Rodeo from my dad about 3 years ago - it was his hunting truck, so likely didn't have the best service for the 6 or so years he had it. I changed the oil and had a head gasket replaced, but not much beyond that before the CEL came on last summer. In October the transmission slipped out of gear and would not engage at all. That's when I decided to drain the fluid. It was burnt, for sure, and the filter was filthy. I replaced the filter and fluid - and double checked levels. This worked. The transmission seemed fine until two weekends ago when it dropped out of gear and would not go above 20mph. I drained again - the ATF was full of sludge, not a good sign, I know. I should be thankful for the additonal 3.5 months that I got out of it.

The solenoid is my last shot - probably futile, but worth a shot.

#42 · (Edited)
Hello, was anyone able to figure out shifting problem ? My 2001 rodeo recently did the same. No check engine light, doesn’t go past 20mph and revs after. When put into Winter drive/ power drive car doesn’t move as if it were in neutral.. i did notice a leak above small transmission pan. Any help is greatly appreciated! Also can a bad spark plug cause this issue ?

Attachments

#43 ·
Best case, the transmission is low on ATF due to the leak and will work OK if you fill to the correct level. Worst case the transmission clutches are burned up because the transmission is low on ATF.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.