Isuzu SUV Forum banner

John's Auto to Manual MUA5 Transmission Swap

2M views 135 replies 51 participants last post by  breyettebraden 
#1 ·
It's done and it's awesome! Pictures too come soon :D

#102 ·
#104 ·
How did you guys seal up the bellhousing on the manual Trans? To keep all the mud and debris away from the clutch.

#105 ·
Dirtbikeguy2009 said:
How did you guys seal up the bellhousing on the manual Trans? To keep all the mud and debris away from the clutch.
Ummmmmm.....woops. :D

I imagine you could use the same stuff that you use to seal up the diff plate. But to me honest there is so much force on the clutch it would take a lot of mud.

#106 ·
hello buddy, how are you?????? I texted U before regarding by 02 isuzu rodeo that I made stick shift 5 speed. I have some problems, some codes p1860, p0753, that I did some research and it is suppost to be some errors with the torque converter (I MADE IT STICK SHIFT) IS THERE A WAY TO TRICK THE ECU???? PLZ HELP ........ THANK U

#107 ·
Hello did U get a MANUAL ECU?????? Im working on my isuzu 02 3.2L I put a 5 speed manual transmission ( it had an automatic transmission that was not working), my check engine light is on, I have problems with the torque converter which my TRUCK DOES NOT HAVE IT ANY MORE, WHAT SHOULD I DO? DO I NEED A MANUAL ECU TO FIX MY PROBLEM OR IS THERE A WAY TO TRICK THE AUTOMATIC ECU?????? HELP PLEASE........

#108 ·
did U swap the ECU?? I have a problem with my truck, I made it stick shift (02 isuzu rodeo 3.2L 4 doors 6 cylinders, manufactured in jan 02) My check engine light is on. I live in New Jersey and the truck DO NOT PASS INSPECTION HERE, the codes the I get are P0758, P1860,0753, I did my research and IT IS THE TORQUE CONVERTER WHICH I DON'T HAVE ANY MORE. DO I HAVE TO GET A MANUAL PCM OR IS THERE ANY TRICKS TO FOOL THE PCM???????? HELP PLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

#111 ·
I have A 99 amigo and a 92 second trooper with a 5 speed. Can i use the transmission from the trooper?

#112 ·
FYI - I am realizing more and more that the AR5 is a great transmission but it's known for synchros getting eaten up in the roadsters. (probably from a crapload more shifting than the trucks) not to mention the short throw and faster shifts doesn't help.

It's a strong unit though.. Many putting down 400+ HP at the wheels on the sky/solstice seem to be reasonably happy with them aside from the synchros making it "shift like a truck" as they say lol

#113 ·
what is the AR5 found in?

#115 ·
so the i better check on the 1992 trooper I'm getting and see what has as far as a 5 speed. Mau5 or Ar5...an codes to look for?

#120 ·
would this be the same as if doing it on a 94' trooper using parts from a 95' im not to sure how much different amigos are other than overall length
94' is my good one (auto) and tranny is not good 95" is a parts truck (manual) engine and tranny no good
I have a rebuilt mua5 as a spare and its ready to go

#121 ·
OK-- curiosity--

I have an 88 Trooper and a 98 Trooper... both LWB...

The 88 is a 2.6l manual, the 98 is a 3.5l auto...

Can I swap the manual into the 98 and the auto into the 88? Or would I be better off sourcing the parts all separate?

I don't plan on keeping the 88 much longer, but want it to be a driver when I sell it.

#122 ·
Hatfield said:
RamAirZ said:
It's the same AR5 as in the Solstice and Colorado etc with minor differences. They used the 4l30e in your trooper too, so I don't think the being paired with the modified 12bolt and possible v8 is a good argument lol. The AR5 imo is a smoother, quieter transmission, that would be my guess for its use.
I know, and from what I've read most like them and they hold up to LS swaps. Just curious to your reasoning behind the MUA5 being stronger.
RamAirZ said:
Forgot to mention that the MUA5 has an integral tcase where the AR5 has a removable one, so it could have been to help with production since the auto tcase could be used for either transmission unlike before with the MUA5, and by full manual I mean the Tcase on the 95-earlier ones don't have a shift motor or anything like the later ones. You could use the 95-earlier auto case behind your AR5 to make it full manual. The AR5 will hold up to a stock LS swap on street tires, sticky tires and a good clutch and they won't. I'm just basing this on what I've seen between the failures on both. Mind you most of my AR5 opinions come from the LS swap stuff, but I've seen the MUA5 behind some turbocharged Isuzu's before making tons of power as well. I think that's what the turbocharged truck over in Australia is running and it's making a ton of power on a 6VD1. It's probably 6 in one half-dozen in the other
The 'box' that holds the gears is AISIN on the AR5 and is what numerous makers use.
GM but most importantly Toyota uses them too. The only major difference is the bellhousing pattern to the engine, the input shaft length and splines and obviously the tail shaft plate (for tcase)
The R150 and R151 are the same boxes as the AR5 just slightly different gear ratios and some of the early 150's had poopy brass synchros that were redesigned later on and you can change them out.
I also hear that the R154 is a cousin or is the same just doesn't have the 4wd output plate on the back and you would have to mod the tailplate if you wanted to use it.
I agree the Mua5 is strong and if your 4l30 is going to the grave, you can source a 5speed fairly cheap but I wouldn't say it is any better than the Ar5.
Probably close in terms of strength because they are both "Japanese" and built tough.
Mua5 and Ar5 - and even the 4l30 - They both use the same gear sets for transfer cases, one is internal (mua5) and the other is removable

just adding the 3 cents here.
BTW Good Job John.

#123 ·
Hi, can I swap my automatic trans to a manual trans. I'm buying another 88 trooper monday hoping to swap the trans and extra parts. Both are the same year and 4x4, I have a trooper LS and the one in purchasing is a trooper two with automating locking hubs. Not sure if I should sway my manual locking hubs out.

#124 ·
Hi Guys great write up! I just recently got done rebuilding the whole front clip on on the 2001 TROOPER I bought that was smashed up by a previous owner, I have a 2000 donor truck with a blown motor. And the rebuild came out really clean.

My 2001 is a 5 speed conversion with an AR5 trans and removable transfer case. It is not hooked up to the 4x4 switch on the dash and the vacuum solenoid/actuator on the front axle also does not engage. I wanted to know if there was a way I could rig a switch up to the transfer case shift motor to use my 4x4.

Any help would be great. This truck has great gear ratios and plenty of torque with the 3.5.

Aloha from Hawaii
Blake

#125 ·
Ryan Bechtold said:
Hi, can I swap my automatic trans to a manual trans. I'm buying another 88 trooper monday hoping to swap the trans and extra parts. Both are the same year and 4x4, I have a trooper LS and the one in purchasing is a trooper two with automating locking hubs. Not sure if I should sway my manual locking hubs out.
Take careful measurements. With an 88, you most likely have the 2.6 and an Aisin automatic (a fairly good automatic tranny). With the later 2.8s, there is a different frame between the autos and manuals. If you have a complete donor, the swap will be much easier. Dennis

#126 ·
So im thinking of doing a mua5 swap on my 01 rodeo sport 4x4

I'm wondering if there is an additional ground clearance gain with the mua5 ?

I see early in this thread the guy reused the original auto cross member flipped around but it sounds like he had to add a spacer to sit level and make the bolts fit. Would the mua5 cross member sit a bit higher ? Does the mua5 itself sit higher ?

Last time I was out where I shouldn't have been I found my t-case was the biggest clearance issue..thankfully it has a skid plate. Hoping the mua5 sits higher in the frame instead of below it ...