Isuzu SUV Forum banner

2017 Spring Uwharrie Run April 27-30

29K views 177 replies 26 participants last post by  Hack 
#1 ·
The poll is closed and this year the Spring Uwharrie run will take place April 27-30.

In :D
Van: Site #30 April 26-30
Hack: Site #25 April 26-30
paulevans76: Site #19
Jerry Lemond: Site #32 April 26-30
reran: Site #28, April 26-30
MarcusInMD and sons: Site #34, April 26-30
superswire: Site #24, April 28-30
Shaggy: Site #38, April 27-29
Ditchdoc, JP, Daniel (Nick Maybe): Sites #10, 13, 26 & 50, April 27-30
btw1549 : Site #7, April 27-30
wmorrisiii: April 27-29
Ssiggy: Site Holiday Inn April 28-30

Out :(
Timberwolf
88toy4x4
JAXCO
egagnon086
Joe D
Squatch
TonkaToy & Smitty

Maybe :?
DRaider90
theXO
Phototrooper: April 29
phototrooper, mrdunge, and the DMD
Smiley (and it's a mighty big maybe)
lorenzo816 and his "How to Demo"

News, Information, and Updates:

Guide to Uwharrie National Forest:

Link to the Forest Service Guide to Uwharrie National Forest.

CAMPING:

Link to the Arrowhead campground website.

MAP AND DIRECTIONS:

Google Maps Directions to the Eldorado Outpost - Located just outside of the trails.

To get to the Arrowhead Campground from the Outpost, turn left out of the parking lot. Look for the sign for the horse camp and turn left on SR1154. Make a right at the "T" intersection onto SR544. Go past the horse camp to the stop sign at the next T intersection. You will see a sign saying Arrowhead Campground is to the left. Make the left onto the dirt road SR597. Make a right at the sign marking the turn to the camp ground on SR597B. The road is paved just before you pass a dump station. When you get into Arrowhead, keep your speed down and watch out for the speed bumps. The road will fork. You have to go to the right because the road becomes one way. The camp sites are well marked by numbers and with the last name of the person making the reservation.

Trail Map:

THINGS TO BRING:

You must have a trail pass. An annual pass is $30. A day pass is $5 per day. Trail passes can be purchased at the Outpost.

It often rains at least one day during the event. So rain gear and tarps are recommended. Fire wood is always appreciated.

It is a good idea to bring a tool kit and some trail spares, as I can tell you from experience that sh_t happens on the trails. We tend to help one another out so if everybody brings something, we usually have everything covered and there is an auto parts store in Troy.

FOOD AND SUPPLIES:

This tends to be a very informal event. People come and go as they please; some preferring to hang out at camp or go fishing instead of trail riding. With the Flintlock Range now open, some will also go shooting (passes are $3 per day and are available at the Outpost). So bring enough food and drink to last the entire event. Food, drink and ice are available at the Outpost or in Troy. The Outpost also has a good breakfast for around $5. Usually there is a group dinner on Friday. If the weather is bad on Sat, we sometimes go into town and have dinner at Zeno's.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER NOTICE:
As always, this will be a completely un-sponsored and unofficial event ... No clubs or organizations will be overseeing the activities. This is simply going to be a bunch of friends and online acquaintances getting together for a weekend of fun, good food, and lots of off-road amusement.

ALL attendees will be utterly and solely responsible for themselves and the guests within their individual group(s) (including all vehicles and equipment), and shall be expected to abide by the laws, rules, and policies set-down by our true hosts, the United States Forestry Service and the people of the great state of North Carolina.

See less See more
Reactions: Van
#102 ·
MarcusInMD said:
just want to be done for a while and enjoy this thing.
Amen. Just got the Amigo back from Joe. It is running great except that the steering wheel is upside down and we broke the clock assembly inside the wheel. Jerry is bringing the part to Uwharrie and I plan to fix it there. Hopefully, I can enjoy it for a while before the next issue.

#103 ·
Hack said:
MarcusInMD said:
just want to be done for a while and enjoy this thing.
Amen. Just got the Amigo back from Joe. It is running great except that the steering wheel is upside down and we broke the clock assembly inside the wheel. Jerry is bringing the part to Uwharrie and I plan to fix it there. Hopefully, I can enjoy it for a while before the next issue.
Are you sure the steering wheel is upside down? Maybe it's you who is upside down.

#104 ·
MarcusInMD said:
Are you sure the steering wheel is upside down? Maybe it's you who is upside down.
I don't drive a Heep!

#105 ·
Hack said:
MarcusInMD said:
I don't drive a Heep!
Indeed.

Having the steering wheel upside down would drive me nuts though. :(

#106 ·
Biggest issue is that I really can't see the gauges or idiot lights very well. But I drove 300 miles that way so I don't think the 400 miles to Uwharrie will be too tough.

#107 ·
At 12:00 at night, having an upside down steering wheel strikes me as pretty funny. Maybe a good idea though if you can't see the idiot lights. On any trip I'll see the check engine light a couple of times, been like that for years, and the truck runs like a top. I used to try and fix it. No more, the truck and I have come to an understanding that transcends annoying little electrical issues. An upside down steering wheel though would take care of any worries with seeing the check engine light. Great mod Mario!

I'm getting in Thursday leaving on Saturday. Mulling over what guns to bring now. Might bring a shotgun, anyone know of a place called the Fork, supposed to be close by with a sporting clay course and some other target setups. Last I checked Blaine was coming but no word from Mikey since he left for the state police academy. Pretty doubtful I think because when I drove by his house after I left work today his Trooper was still sitting under his shed... which is a pretty good indication the engine isnt back together and running yet.

I cant wait to get back down, and am looking forward to seeing everyone! I though about bringing some cheap bourbon, but of course there is no drinking allowed in Arrowhead.... :D

#108 ·
Wait a minute.
Who is shooting up there?
I have actually never shot in the outdoor range, flintock or whatever its called.
Bring targets? How's this work.
I wanna fire a few while we're there.
Hell yea.

#109 ·
The range info is in the 1st post. There is 25 yrd pistol range and a 100 yrd rifle range. The use fee is $3 per day or $30 for an annual pass. You can buy the passes at the Outpost.

The range is very nice with overhead cover, rifle racks and a range officer on duty. They have target stands for every lane. You either bring your own targets or buy some for a nominal fee.

You have to bring your own firearms as there are no rentals. You should also bring eye and hearing protection as well as ammo. The range sells disposable ear plugs and the Outpost sells some ammo, but I am not sure about the calibers.

#110 ·
Thanks Mario.
I never ever really think about going to shoot up there all the years I've been but I think I will this trip.
I have eye/ear protection and ammo. I'll get a few days paid up front and see ya out there with some targets.
Thx

#111 ·
Honestly, since the range reopened, I spend more time at the range than I do on the trails.

#113 ·
MarcusInMD said:
I need ammo for this trip. What to bring....
Please bring that gold cube... after watching a video of it, looks like that would be a good investment. I'll get the highbanker and hopefully we'll have a good clean out.

Jonathan, Wayne is bringing his yak also, so Saturday we can spend some time on the lake depending on the weather. For anyone else that wants to join us, they have rentals across from the Outpost.

Mike, have you figured out what we're having for group dinner? What do we need to bring. :?:

Camping... what a great life. :D

#115 ·
Well, I'm gonna have to call in this one. Been told I need to attend a wedding during the spring weekend. So maybe I'll get down in the fall again.

#118 ·
With 1 week to go til showtime forecast is looking to hold pretty well given the lead time. Looks like a great week weather wise!

#119 ·
#121 ·
Life happens but you are right, a couple of days are better then none. At least you are close and don't have a 400 mile drive each way.

#122 ·
Hack said:
Life happens but you are right, a couple of days are better then none. At least you are close and don't have a 400 mile drive each way.
Yes, truly a blessing!! I just did another overland trip in the Appalachians which was "only" 200 miles to/from my house, pretty much the last trip that's within that short of a distance, the rest will involve a trek like you (and others) have to endure to get to URE. Oh the pavement, make it stop!! :shock:

#123 ·
shaggydoink said:
I had to cut my stay a little short due to work, my new schedule gets me out there Thursday afternoon and heading toward home Saturday evening. A couple days is better than none! :D

Shaggy
Man I was bummed when I saw that you posted. I thought I wasn't going to be able to see the shaggy shack 2.0!!! Glad you are still going to be making it!!!! :D

#124 ·
Looks like I need to revise my forecast a bit.

Add about 5 to 8 degrees to the forecast. Looks like Mid to perhaps upper 80's are a real possibility. It's gonna be HOT!

The chances of preccip are diminishing as well.

#125 ·
Looks like rain this weekend, which will hopefully keep the dust down.

Also looks like shorts and t-shirts will be the garb for this trip.

#126 ·
Hack said:
Looks like rain this weekend, which will hopefully keep the dust down.

Also looks like shorts and t-shirts will be the garb for this trip.
Sure glad I have A/C in the camper. :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.