Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Looking for a clean 1st gen 4x4 Amigo

14K views 95 replies 28 participants last post by  Fox 
#1 ·
I've been shopping CL for months, and can't seem to find a clean (no rust) and stock 4x4 1st gen Amigo XS.
I'm not saying that price isn't important to me, but I'm willing to pay for it, if it's what I'm looking for. Color and location are unimportant, as are the miles, just as long as it hasn't been a hunting rig, our used to jump stumps every weekend.
Does anyone have any leads on where I could find this unicorn?
Thanks
Shayne

#78 ·
More then happy to..Talk about weird coincidence's..I used to have a big Race Car shop in Roswell..been out of state for 5-6 years doing a Porsche gig..just recently came home...My daily driver Jeep XJ is at the point in it's "Build" that it gets No gas mileage, so I pulled out the Isuzu's to save money on fuel..LOL..I bet you have seen me driving them around 5-7 years ago..I've had the 92 for 10-11 years and the 90 for 15-20...I originally bought the 92 for parts.. for the 90, BUT..it was too clean and ran to good to chop up...so I just sat on both of them..I wanted the Hard Top (in 90 it wasn't an option) but I'll leave it on for you for a good sale..both have the nice aluminum wheels (in very good shape)..There is a worn spot on the driver seat bolster..and it needs a rear bumper..I was just hunting parts when I ran across your post..I literally just started on them 2 days ago..I'll get back with you with more details and pic's..

#79 ·
AmigoDude said:
More then happy to..Talk about weird coincidence's..I used to have a big Race Car shop in Roswell..been out of state for 5-6 years doing a Porsche gig..just recently came home...My daily driver Jeep XJ is at the point in it's "Build" that it gets No gas mileage, so I pulled out the Isuzu's to save money on fuel..LOL..I bet you have seen me driving them around 5-7 years ago..I've had the 92 for 10-11 years and the 90 for 15-20...I originally bought the 92 for parts.. for the 90, BUT..it was too clean and ran to good to chop up...so I just sat on both of them..I wanted the Hard Top (in 90 it wasn't an option) but I'll leave it on for you for a good sale..both have the nice aluminum wheels (in very good shape)..There is a worn spot on the driver seat bolster..and it needs a rear bumper..I was just hunting parts when I ran across your post..I literally just started on them 2 days ago..I'll get back with you with more details and pic's..
Quick question, does either one have a sunroof?

#80 ·
Yes they both do...they are the "XS"version..From what I understand (take this with a grain of salt)..when they first made these..Isuzu entered one in the Dakar rally with nothing but a change of shocks and a lot of lights...and it won it's class..so they immediately retrofitted a few to bring into the US market..my 90 is one of those..it is an XS that wasn't originally supposed to be sold here..That was made obvious by the "Rube Goldberg" exhaust it had... it came off the header downpipe, toward the back of the vehicle crossed under the driveshaft, went back to the front looped around and back toward the rear of the vehicle...here's where they mounted the "Cat"..then it crossed back under the driveshaft and exited the vehicle..about 13-14 feet of pipe!..It would barely breath until I removed all of that..It's gearing appears to be different also ..It's FAST...and "drifts" like an Audi Quattro..and has less pollution equipment on the engine..The throttle body is different also..makes for a fun ride over the "Tray" mountain range outside Helen..(I highly recommend the ride for ATL. folks..Great views..plenty of camping and lunch sites and loaded with mountain creeks..A long time ago I watched John Buffum (sp.)in one of the "World Cup" runs that was in Helen driving the Quattro side ways at 125 mph..what a day..The SCCA used to have a "Off Road" racing group (early 80's) I don't know if they still do or not..The RX2's and RX3's were really good for that..Ya'll come up and ride... lots of trails...

#83 ·
AmigoDude said:
Yes they both do...they are the "XS"version..From what I understand (take this with a grain of salt)..when they first made these..Isuzu entered one in the Dakar rally with nothing but a change of shocks and a lot of lights...and it won it's class..so they immediately retrofitted a few to bring into the US market..my 90 is one of those..it is an XS that wasn't originally supposed to be sold here..That was made obvious by the "Rube Goldberg" exhaust it had... it came off the header downpipe, toward the back of the vehicle crossed under the driveshaft, went back to the front looped around and back toward the rear of the vehicle...here's where they mounted the "Cat"..then it crossed back under the driveshaft and exited the vehicle..about 13-14 feet of pipe!..It would barely breath until I removed all of that..It's gearing appears to be different also ..It's FAST...and "drifts" like an Audi Quattro..and has less pollution equipment on the engine..The throttle body is different also..makes for a fun ride over the "Tray" mountain range outside Helen.....
Just curious how the throttle body was different?

#84 ·
AmigoDude said:
Hey there ..Roswell huh??...I haven't been on here for a longtime..I just got my 2 (TWO) 1st. Gen Amigo's out of 6 year storage..and am planning on cleaning them up and selling one of them..(Although for those prices I might be temped to sell both) I'm up near Helen Ga....I'll be honest, neither of them are in Tip Top Shape but..I think it may be what your looking for!!..One is Black 1990 (my keeper) and the other is what I call "Barbie Purple" 1992 with the beginning of clearcoat issues on hood and edges of roof. Both run great with good Diffs, Tran's, Transfer Cases,and Engines..I am not looking for those High Dollar prices either.. Both..Not Wrecked (minor age dings), Original Paint, are you interested??..I will likely have the one I want to sell ready in a month (I'm retired and slow but very good mechanic..old Road Atl. "Track Rat" :mrgreen: :mrgreen: b]

Any update on pics?

#85 ·
The 90 has a different ft. end shape and grill is different also. It does not have the rear seat safety belt bars..and other small conference's...as far as the pic's...I am just now going to get them today or tomorrow...as I said earlier, I will need to clean them up and plan on doing the common things you do when a vehicle has been in storage like these...I will post pig's as soon as they are ready..I promise :mrgreen:

#86 ·
AmigoDude said:
The 90 has a different ft. end shape and grill is different also. It does not have the rear seat safety belt bars..and other small conference's...as far as the pic's...I am just now going to get them today or tomorrow...as I said earlier, I will need to clean them up and plan on doing the common things you do when a vehicle has been in storage like these...I will post pig's as soon as they are ready..I promise :mrgreen:
Can't wait!

#96 ·
Side note... does anyone have any links to high end/ high priced amigos?

Some jackass kid wrecked into mine, and now insurance is trying to screw me. I have about 8k into my fully restored and built amigo. Everything from lockers, to turbo, new motor (Not rebuilt), paint, and wide track front end conversion.

They are trying to give me $800. I need to show them proof that 6k is not unreasonable. Thanks guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.