Isuzu SUV Forum banner

2002 rodeo wheel/tire change now poor mpg

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  fstr 
#1 ·
Hello. I'm going back to the experts on this one. I needed new tires. I was happy with the last set. They were 245/70R/16. I had two bent stock steel rims on the right side from froading. I couldn't find any at the dismantlers. I did find some identical sized aluminum rims however. I bought them figuring not as strong but got to get this done. When I went to get tires they were out of the original size but had 245/75R/16. I bought them. Same tire. Same rim size. Slightly larger diameter. 70 aspect ratio to 75. They don't rub. Cool. Except now I get 14-15 MPG instead of 17-18. I drive 25-30K miles a year. Unacceptable. What did I do wrong? I realize the Speedo is off by a couple miles but 3 MPG? Could it be the additional weight of the tire? Could the aluminum rims be heavier than the steel ones? I didn't weigh the rims before the tires were mounted but they were aluminum after all. Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
That does not make sense. You put tires on that are 1 inch larger diameter and your getting less gas mileage. Actually there should be a slight difference, but should be in the other direction.

#3 ·
Is your 02 a 4 cylinder? is it a 5 speed or auto? You shouldn't have that big an impact, and yes normally getting a larger tire will improve mileage at the expense of power.

I've had issues going with bigger tires that were 10-ply and felt like the truck lugged around and I had to change the way I drove it to keep my mileage. I was constantly giving more gas to get moving. So I was losing my mileage with stopping and starting. I ended up regearing and it solved my issue.

#5 ·
Make sure your wheel bearings are in good shape and brakes aren't dragging or something. You should be fine with your drivetrain as is, I only got in trouble with lack of power when I went bigger than 265/75r16s.

#6 ·
I'll repack the wheel bearings this weekend. I can weigh one of the new tire/wheel combinations versus the spare (which still has the stock rim & tire) when I have them off the truck. I went through the brakes a couple months back but I will check them. Thanks. I'll post back on Monday.

#7 ·
I have a '99 trooper that I put 10 ply tires on last summer. I have replaced the fuel filter, thermostat, throttle positioning sensor, O2 sensors and still am only getting 13 to 15 mpg. The tires are the only thing I can figure is dragging it down.
My other '99 trooper was getting 18 to 19 mpg before taking it off the road to have engine rebuilt.
Any thoughts?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.