Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Made some improvements to my 1995 Passport.

2K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  rbarrios 
#1 ·
I needed an SUV for use on my dads ranch house out in Mexico.
His place is up in the hills- 8 miles away from town.
Dirt and rocks.

My father in law had this 95 Passport. Plated in Mexico and California.
He used it to travel back and forth.
It recently had a tune up and passed California SMOG.
Also had a new trans put in.

So I bought it from him.

In July when I drove it- I noticed a few things.
Very bouncy ride. Shocks worn.
Missing H on grille.
Missing wheel caps.
Tweaked rear door and bumper.
Mud all over the sides.
Speedometer/odometer/trip meter not working.

So with 6 month time- I went on ebay and searched.

Bought
H logo,
used cluster
new old stock heavy duty front and rear schocks,
used OEM mud flaps
used wheel caps
used but repainted bumper brackets.
father in law- had a used rear door in the correct color
24 new wheel lug nuts with the proper washers for the caps (I had the post requesting info the proper lug nuts).

So I installed it all. I also changed out the shifter bulb- burned out, overhead lamp also burned out, and 1 bulb on the cluster was burned out.
The vehicle now rides much better.
Used to be- on a speed bump- the vehicle would bounce 3-4 times... now-- 1 bounce.

Unfortunately the H did not fit--- turns out there is an ISUZU grille on the honda.

on a rural road.

the ebay caps--- note the dirty side- and the cleaned shiny side on one cap

before caps

after caps.

old rear mud flaps (dont know if the old ones were OEM?)- compared with ebay find.

See less See more
#3 ·
note the marks on the old one-- hammered back to be sort of straight

I did not have jack stands to replace the rear shocks. I didnt want to get under the vehicle with only a jack----so I drove into town- to a small shop to replace the rears.
cost- $100 pesos... thats $5 USD!

The vehicle hosed down to get rid of all the dust.

Somewhere in its life- it was hit on that rear quarter. note the paint color change/the brackets/the tweaked rear door.

Rural area--- putting the vehicle to work.
so we need to take these tanks into town to refill.

the endcap for the passenger side rear bumper--- is on its way.. should be installed soon.....

#4 ·
Note to you , i have a 97 rodeo and my fuel filler nozzle rusted right off, when your under there looking up check the condition of it and if its possible power clean it and give it a coat of some sort of protector either a rockgaurd or paint ... save you some hassle in the future. looks good hey if you stil have that old bracket flopping around could you take a pic of it or draw it out with the dimensions as i want to start fabbing my own bumper. the brackets are always the trickiest part. Thank you

#6 ·
its not the door its the filler neck itself . thanks for the quick reply i guess ill have to go lay in the snow and drop the bumper so i can plan my build ... sigh its just soooooooo cold and snowy

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.