Isuzu SUV Forum banner

95.5-00 Trooper Keyless Entry Programming

71K views 35 replies 27 participants last post by  MontereyRS 
#1 ·
This is from SB98-13-L004. I believe this applies to all 98-2001 Troopers and Rodeos. This is verbatim from the TSB:
INITIAL REMOTE PROGRAMMING
This procecdure erases all exsisting transmitters codes and programs only one remote to the system. To program additional remotes, see Adding Additional Remotes. Perform these steps as quickly as possible.
Step: Operation: Confirmation
1: Close all doors
2: Open the driver's door
3: Insert key in the ignition
4: Turn key to ACCESSORY then OFF 3-times, in one-second intervals
5: Close and open the driver's door 2-times, in one second intervals. door pin switch may be toggled instead.)
6: Turn the key to ACCESSORY then OFF 5-times, in one-second intervals.
7: Close, then open the driver's door. (Door pin switch may be toggled instead.)
8: Press the lock button of the remote being programmed.
9: Press the lock button of the remote. RESPONSE: The doors will lock and unlock 1-time.
ADDING ADDITIONAL REMOTES
This procecdure is perfromed after intial remote programming. Perfrom this procedure for each remote. Perfrom these steps as quickly as possible.
5: Close and open the driver's door 2-times, in one second intervals. (door pin switch may be toggled instead.)
6: Turn the key to ACCESSORY then OFF 3-times, in one-second intervals.
7: Close, then open the driver's door 1-time. (Door pin switch may be toggled instead.)
8: Press the lock button of the remote being programmed.
9: Press the lock button of the remote. RESPONSE: The doors will lock and unlock 1-time.
CHECKING NUMBER OF PROGRAMMED TRANSMITTERS
This procedure indentifies how many remotes are programmed to the security system. Perform these steps are quickly as possible.
5: Close and open the driver's door 2-times, in one second intervals. (Door pin switch may be toggled instead.)
6: Turn the key to ACCESSORY then OFF
7: Close andopen the driver's door. RESPONSE: The doors will lock and unlock 1-time for each remote programmed.
TURNING CHIRP CONFIRMATION ON/OFF
This procedure is for turning the Arm/Disarm confirmation chirp ON or OFF. All steps must be followed carfully. It may take several attempts to sucessfully perform this procedure. Perform these steps as quickly as possible.
3: Insert key in the driver's door lock.
4: Turn key to lock-center-unlock (Left-center-right) 3-times, in one-second intervals
5: Close and open the driver's door 2-times, in one second intervals. (Door pin switch may be toggled instead.)
6: Turn key to lock-center-unlock (Left-center-right) 3-times, in one-second intervals
7: Close and open the driver's door. RESPONSE: The doors will lock and unlock 1-time.

-----------

95.5-97 Troopers:
Note that the "box" referred to is usually located directly under the steering wheel/dash area. It is black, about 4x4 inches, and likely fastened under or near the steering column. Get your head down by the pedals and look up to see it.

-- START --

Assuming this is the original keyless system, there is a white label on the top of the box. The label is covering over the hole. (We usually access the box by removing the small cover in the left area of the lower dash panel and using a long screwdriver.)

Push around in the middle of the label and tear the paper thru the hole. Inside there is a square yellow button.

Key on, key off, push and hold the button until you hear two tones or the horn beeps.

Release the button and momentarily press the "lock" icon on the remote. You'll hear a confirming tone or beep.

Key on and off again. Try it to see if it works.

Keep in mind nothing will arm or lock if a key is in the ignition switch while you're testing.

See less See more
#2 ·
I GOT IT, I GOT IT, I GOT IT! Thanks so much fellas. With my 97 Rodeo I had to simply turn the key ON, press and hold the reset button on the unit until the alarm beeped twice. (the security light comes on steady then flashes twice) Make sure the driver's side door is closed (or toggle the light button) then press the remote lock button and that was it! The doors locked and unlocked with the new remote. I feel as if I accomplished a miracle. Now how do I program additional remotes?

#3 ·
ummm maybe i did somethig wrong but it just didnt work :? I followed the instruction that Tad gave us and I also look it up inthe shop manual CD (said exactly the same thing...) toward the end there was no response of lock and unlocking of door and the remote still stay un-program help? :oops:

#6 ·
I forgot to mention that I had to turn the key to "on" instead of accessory. However I aquired an additional remote and I can't get it to program. It has the same FCC number however it was used on a 1996 model, I wonder if the year has anything to with it? I have a 1997.

#12 ·
These directions worked on my Rodeo but not without some practice. The exact steps came boxed with the remote. My first 4 or 5 tries were too slow, I slept on it, and then the next day tried it faster...and by memory at that point after having gone through it so many times.

Don't open and close the door...just press the black toggle button until the dome light goes out. you can have one finger of your left hand on the toggle and your keys in the ignition with your right hand. While doing this procedure I couldn't help but imagine the engineers laughing as they created these steps.

The directions are a bit incorrect, it's not ACCESSORY to OFF, as there is no "OFF"...it actually reads "LOCK" on my truck.

Taylor

#14 ·
This worked on my '96 Trooper S

Remote p/n's 2-90101-711-0 & 2-90191-701-0
FCC ID:BAB237131-013
CANADA 2024 K1431

#19 ·
I hate the horn chirps as well. Can this be turned off? On another car you can hold the lock and alarm button for 5 seconds and it would toggle, can you do it on the Trooper somehow?

#20 ·
how do i program an aftermarket starter in my 94 troop? i bought it with the kit installed and the guy said it worked when i bought it but i cant get it to work (i changed the battery when i bought it). it says i have to turn off the factory anti-theft system? how do i go about that and would my 94 have the reset in the same place??

#21 ·
The 94 has a different system. It never had a remote. The factory system is pretty simple and is tied into the power door locks. Unlock it with the key and it turns off the alarm. You'll need the manual for the aftermarket system in order to program it.

-Tad

#23 ·
i just did mine the other day worked just fine it took me a couple of times to get it right but both my remotes work now.. thanks :)

#24 ·
Finally!!!! It only took like a hundred tries... the other link didn't seem to work... but there is a TYPO is you have to take it to ON... NOT ACC...

It took me a few tries once I figured that out...

The black box for the keyless entry on the 98 is against the engin wall just between the brake and the fuse box, but higher up... no green button that I saw... or pressed... just follow the directions, but to ON, and NOT acc...

And I did the hokey pokey... it was pretty ****in frustrating... but a lonely moment of glory... I basically had to memorize the motions, then find this post... Oh Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks and I hope this helps someone else... 8)

#25 ·
I just bought a 99 Trooper and replaced the batteries on the remote. If I press the lock button it chirps for about 5 seconds and does nothing. If I press the unlock button it does absolutely nothing but the panic button works. I tried what the first poster says and it wont work. On the ign. switch it has "lock, off, ACC, and ON" is there another step I am missing...please help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.