Moab Zu Zoo 2017

Use this forum to discuss Trail Rides, Wrench-A-Thons and other meetings

Moderator: Staff

Re: Moab Zu Zoo 2017

Postby Christine » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:42 am

Slight change in plans, we are now meeting on 5/10 in Montrose for the Rimrocker trail to Moab if any wants to join us.
Christine
Drives on Dirt

Have thanks: 3 times

Sponsor

Postby BigSwede » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:38 pm

Got reservations at the lovely Apache, except for Friday night the 19th which was full up. Probably will be a cancellation we can take.

My buddy Joe is coming again. Christine, we will run Rimrocker Saturday-Sunday, the 10th just doesn't work for us.

Now I just gotta figure out how to use a GPS app... :drunken:
95 Trooper LS - 4" lift, 35" tires, 5.38 gears, ARB lockers
Indy4x Revolution 3.07:1 low range gears, Indy4x HD tie rods, homemade sway bar disconnects, Calmini HD sway bars, Darlington diff drop, OME 929 coil springs + 1" poly spacers and 1" body lift, Indy4x HD torsion bars, Indy4x HD rear axle links, Indy4x Kevlar brake lines, ARB bullbar, custom rear bumper with swing-out dual jerry can carrier, rock sliders, Sears Platinum Group 31 battery, ARB mini-compressor, Indy4x kevlar air lines, Warn M8000 winch, Blue Sea 6006 winch cutoff switch, Yaesu FT-1900R 2-meter ham radio, Larsen MHW-150C 1/2 wave antenna, Cobra 18WXST CB radio, Firestik II CB antenna, IPF driving lights, generic fog lights, two (2) Blue Sea auxiliary fuse panels, sleeping platform, and outofrshell Dave's custom 1" shifter extension. (I actually typed this list as a joke but people seem to like it.)
BigSwede
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 252 times

Postby BigSwede » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:23 am

If anybody has a skid plate for a MUA5 transfer case in a 2nd gen Trooper, and can bring it to Moab, I would be most appreciative :-)
Indy4x Revolution 3.07:1 low range gears, Indy4x HD tie rods, homemade sway bar disconnects, Calmini HD sway bars, Darlington diff drop, OME 929 coil springs + 1" poly spacers and 1" body lift, Indy4x HD torsion bars, Indy4x HD rear axle links, Indy4x Kevlar brake lines, ARB bullbar, custom rear bumper with swing-out dual jerry can carrier, rock sliders, Sears Platinum Group 31 battery, ARB mini-compressor, Indy4x kevlar air lines, Warn M8000 winch, Blue Sea 6006 winch cutoff switch, Yaesu FT-1900R 2-meter ham radio, Larsen MHW-150C 1/2 wave antenna, Cobra 18WXST CB radio, Firestik II CB antenna, IPF driving lights, generic fog lights, two (2) Blue Sea auxiliary fuse panels, sleeping platform, and outofrshell Dave's custom 1" shifter extension. (I actually typed this list as a joke but people seem to like it.)
BigSwede
I am the Stig

Postby ZuminaZX » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:12 am

I'll be at Moab valley RV. May 17-20. After that I'm going to loop down to lake powell before bringing the rodeo back home to its hangar.
Last edited by ZuminaZX on Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2004 Rodeo 3.5 DI
ZuminaZX
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 22 times

Postby Christine » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:02 am

BigSwede wrote:If anybody has a skid plate for a MUA5 transfer case in a 2nd gen Trooper, and can bring it to Moab, I would be most appreciative :-)

I have no clue how to get that skid plate but know a guy that might be able to make one for you.
Christine
Drives on Dirt

Postby Christine » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:12 pm

I was looking at trails in Moab that do not allow ATVs and I see there is a trail in Arches that looks interesting and wondered if any one has done the Cache Valley trail.
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=420
Christine
Drives on Dirt

Postby outofrshell » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:58 am

Steve there are 2- 2nd Gen Troopers both white in Moab going out south I talked to a neighbor of the owner and was told that the people are actually pretty nice just a little different. Might be able to pickup a skid plate off one of them Trooper. Steve I would like to visit about ham radios. can I call you in the evening sometime? BTW I will look in the AM the Rodeo I'm parting out may some thing
Christine been meaning to call; you but no cell service under my Trooper where I have been living since Jan. GOD I LOVE THIS THING. May have a handle on it if something else does not fall apart. Dave
1989 Trooper 2.8/ 3.2 built V6, 5speed
Revolution gears
ARB Rear locker
ARB Front locker
SWAY-AWAY HD TORSION BARS
Self made Longer shackles
1998 Trooper front disc brakes and front seats
Self made HD Tie rods
Self made bumpers and grill guard w/ KC & Hella lights
Self made sliders
Waren VRS 8000 winch set up to use at either end of Trooper
Custom made cargo box w/ full length roll out drawers
31 X 10.50 X 15 Cooper STT Pro on Cragar black steel wheels
outofrshell
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 43 times

Postby Christine » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:28 am

Dave, I am glad you are getting the Trooper all fixed up and ready to go, I am looking forward to Rimrocker, as you can see I am already looking at trails to do when we get to Moab. I am getting winch on my VX and we both got antennas for the CBs so we will have better range this trip. Just give me a call when you have time.
Christine
Drives on Dirt

Postby ZuminaZX » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:59 pm

Christine wrote:I was looking at trails in Moab that do not allow ATVs and I see there is a trail in Arches that looks interesting and wondered if any one has done the Cache Valley trail.

I've been on this trail, it can be in rough shape in late spring though.
2004 Rodeo 3.5 DI
ZuminaZX
Zu Royalty

Postby BigSwede » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:29 pm

Christine wrote:
BigSwede wrote:If anybody has a skid plate for a MUA5 transfer case in a 2nd gen Trooper, and can bring it to Moab, I would be most appreciative :-)

I have no clue how to get that skid plate but know a guy that might be able to make one for you.

Nah, a factory one is fine, I don't hit 'em very often...unless he works REAL cheap.
BigSwede
I am the Stig

Postby BigSwede » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:32 pm

outofrshell wrote:Steve there are 2- 2nd Gen Troopers both white in Moab going out south I talked to a neighbor of the owner and was told that the people are actually pretty nice just a little different. Might be able to pickup a skid plate off one of them Trooper. Steve I would like to visit about ham radios. can I call you in the evening sometime? BTW I will look in the AM the Rodeo I'm parting out may some thing

Sure, give me a call. Tuesday night I have a class until 8 or so, but otherwise feel free.
BigSwede
I am the Stig

Postby BigSwede » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:54 pm

Christine wrote:I was looking at trails in Moab that do not allow ATVs and I see there is a trail in Arches that looks interesting and wondered if any one has done the Cache Valley trail.

I haven't been on that one.

There is a fun trail in the NW part of Arches https://www.nps.gov/arch/planyourvisit/maps.htm
You can go in Willow Springs Road, then head north on the trail (map says go north to south, but we had no trouble going south to north), goes by Eye of the Whale Arch, then at the north end you can go to Tower Arch, which is pretty cool.
BigSwede
I am the Stig

Postby Christine » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:39 pm

BigSwede wrote:There is a fun trail in the NW part of Arches https://www.nps.gov/arch/planyourvisit/maps.htm
You can go in Willow Springs Road, then head north on the trail (map says go north to south, but we had no trouble going south to north), goes by Eye of the Whale Arch, then at the north end you can go to Tower Arch, which is pretty cool.

That looks cool too, I think we could make a fun day of wheeling in Arches
Christine
Drives on Dirt

Postby SAS » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:21 am

BigSwede wrote: goes by Eye of the Whale Arch, then at the north end you can go to Tower Arch, which is pretty cool.

I've not done Cache Valley either; apparently nor has the Utah trailsoffroad crew, yet.

But BigSwede is right about Eye of Whale and Tower Arch; did both earlier this month! Short videos posted in the "Moab Pre-Run" thread.

We approached it from the north, after running Klondike Bluffs and a portion of Baby Steps as a route to Salt Valley where we entered Tower Arch just north of the fence/cattle guard for Arches NP. Klondike was a great trail (it has dinosaur footprints!), but Baby Steps was a little rough on the stock Trooper (made it with a few drags on the undercarriage).
Trooper & Land Cruiser Enthusiast
trailsoffroad.com
SAS
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 25 times

Postby BigSwede » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:26 pm

For anyone interested, here is a great guide to BLM campgrounds in the Moab area.

http://discovermoab.com/campgrounds_blm.htm
BigSwede
I am the Stig

Postby ZuminaZX » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:11 pm

BigSwede wrote:For anyone interested, here is a great guide to BLM campgrounds in the Moab area.

http://discovermoab.com/campgrounds_blm.htm

I swear these sites are always full April-October
2004 Rodeo 3.5 DI
ZuminaZX
Zu Royalty

Postby BigSwede » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:33 pm

Yeah Moab is getting more crowded every year. In fact that website notes:

Please note that BLM campgrounds are filling earlier each day this season:

Goose Island and Grandstaff fill around 8 am.
Anything within 10 miles of Moab has been filling by noon or earlier, including Ken's Lake.
Upper Colorado River and 313 campsites have been filling between noon and 3pm (earlier on weekends and event days).
The Ledges are typically filling by late afternoon.
Visitors should have back-up plans if arriving after noon. Consider making a reservation at a private campground for your first night and searching for a camp site the following morning if you are willing to drive around. If you will be arriving late afternoon or evening and planning to stay in or near Moab, reservations at private campgrounds are recommended.
BigSwede
I am the Stig

Postby ZuminaZX » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:09 pm

BigSwede wrote:Yeah Moab is getting more crowded every year. In fact that website notes:

Please note that BLM campgrounds are filling earlier each day this season:

Goose Island and Grandstaff fill around 8 am.
Anything within 10 miles of Moab has been filling by noon or earlier, including Ken's Lake.
Upper Colorado River and 313 campsites have been filling between noon and 3pm (earlier on weekends and event days).
The Ledges are typically filling by late afternoon.
Visitors should have back-up plans if arriving after noon. Consider making a reservation at a private campground for your first night and searching for a camp site the following morning if you are willing to drive around. If you will be arriving late afternoon or evening and planning to stay in or near Moab, reservations at private campgrounds are recommended.

Indeed, it's turning into a madhouse actually. A friend of mine now rents jet skis for use on the Colorado! The town is a rollercoaster and half a dozen Starbucks away from full assimilation.
2004 Rodeo 3.5 DI
ZuminaZX
Zu Royalty

Postby 96TrooperSE » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:58 pm

Well I've been wanting to go to Moab for over 10 years and I think this might be THE year. Any recommendations on campgrounds? I was looking at ACT, Moab Valley, Archview and a couple others. Might do one of those small cabins or just a tent sight if those are booked.
2000 Trooper Limited: Was 2wd, auto, gas. Now 4wd, 5 speed, diesel.

2001 Trooper S: Castrated and sold.

1996 Trooper SE: Former beaten and battered trail cruiser. Gone but not forgotten
96TrooperSE
Mud King

Have thanks: 17 times

Postby BigSwede » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:38 am

Archview is a decent campground except for 2 major things. It is up on the plateau and horribly exposed to the wind, and it is near the highway so you hear the trucks all night. Most of the campgrounds have this issue to some degree as there is only one way through town and it is a trucking route, but most campgrounds are closer to town so the trucks aren't going as fast.

I believe Dave Threkeld is staying at Slickrock, which is a decent place although sometimes the cottonwoods are dropping fuzz everywhere.

I would also consider Canyonlands, a little more expensive as it is in the heart of town, walking distance to stuff. They have some nice wooded tent sites off to the side, have to drive through Pack Creek to get to them.

I don't have experience with the others you mentioned.

If you don't need plumbing the BLM campgrounds are an option http://discovermoab.com/campgrounds_blm.htm
BigSwede
I am the Stig

Postby ZuminaZX » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:39 pm

I always stay at Moab Valley. It's almost impossible to get a cabin April-September unless you book 6-8 months in advance. The tent sites are nice but be prepared to be packed in tightly, it works best if you're staying with a group or at least one other neighbor your know. The central location is nice and the bathroom/pools are very nice. This year I considered a VRBO property however my eyes watered at the $1500-2500 all-in price for a 2-3 bedroom condo.
2004 Rodeo 3.5 DI
ZuminaZX
Zu Royalty

Postby 96TrooperSE » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:43 pm

Thanks for the recommendations. I wasn't sure if I'd get the Trooper up and going so I held off on booking till today. I'll be camping at Moab valley Tuesday thru Thursday night. They were booked up Friday night so I might try to snag a blm site or see if an opening pops up.

1996 Trooper SE: Former beaten and battered trail cruiser. Gone but not forgotten
96TrooperSE
Mud King

Postby outofrshell » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:11 pm

It is always dicey booking late but I got a tent site at Canyon Lands for the whole week and it was one of the more desirable ones back across the creek. So I am not homeless any more. Will meet Christine & Kevin in Montrose Co. on the 10th and be in Moab the 13th. Before all that though I will meet another friend in Rock Springs, Wy. on the 6th and we will check out Irish Canyon south of RS into Colorado. Will be there 2 days before I head south for Montrose. God (Isuzu Gods) willing and the creek don't rise I"ll see you all in Moab. Dave
1989 Trooper 2.8/ 3.2 built V6, 5speed
Revolution gears
ARB Rear locker
ARB Front locker
SWAY-AWAY HD TORSION BARS
Self made Longer shackles
1998 Trooper front disc brakes and front seats
Self made HD Tie rods
Self made bumpers and grill guard w/ KC & Hella lights
Self made sliders
Waren VRS 8000 winch set up to use at either end of Trooper
Custom made cargo box w/ full length roll out drawers
31 X 10.50 X 15 Cooper STT Pro on Cragar black steel wheels
outofrshell
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 43 times

Postby BigSwede » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:08 am

96TrooperSE wrote:Well I've been wanting to go to Moab for over 10 years and I think this might be the year.

So when are you heading out? I am leaving MN on the 11th,
BigSwede
I am the Stig

Postby 96TrooperSE » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:05 am

BigSwede wrote:
96TrooperSE wrote:Well I've been wanting to go to Moab for over 10 years and I think this might be the year.

So when are you heading out? I am leaving MN on the 11th,

I probably won't leave until saturday the 13th or sunday the 14th. Do you usually make it there in 2 solid days of driving coming from MN?

96TrooperSE
Mud King

PreviousNext

Return to General Events & Gatherings