Isuzu SUV Forum banner

GWNF in January 20-22

12K views 56 replies 8 participants last post by  Hack 
#1 ·
Anyone interested in some winter camping? It has been a long time since I have been up to GWNF. Not sure if I will be roughing it in the tent, or wimping out and dragging the camper up there. :lol:

Let me know if you are interested, and we can nail down a weekend.

#2 ·
:shock: OMG!! The last GWNF didn't turn you off?

I am game, BUT I'll probably still be without the Amigo (which is still sitting in Joe's trailer with a blown rake) and will probably just have the Trooper. So no deep snow. :lol:

I have my timeshare at Massenutten booked for Jan 8-15. The plan was to do a little skiing. If you plan the run during that period, I'll stop by and wheel but camp out in the nice warm CONDO. If you plan on the weekend of Jan 6-8 and the weather is nice, I'd throw the tent cot in the back of the Trooper and camp out with you guys before heading to the condo. Any other Jan weekend i'd take the popup to Hone Quarry.

#4 ·
Dec is out for me. I'll be in the Keys the first 2 weeks, then I have to watch my grandpuppy.

#6 ·
SAS said:
Oh, the memories of winter camping in GWNF!
And winter "wheeling"!

#7 ·
Tracy,

A lot of good memories with the kids up there. Kylie loved our adventures up there. She is excited about going again soon. With her moving in with us this summer, I am looking forward to it also. A lot of changes taking place.

Mario,

We had a blast on that last trip. Great friends, and great stories to share. If we put this together don't forget about the "Drunken Donuts". :lol:

As for the date, I am flexible. Whatever works for the group I will try to make work for me. The only weekend that is out for me is the last weekend of the month. That is my birthday weekend, and the family has plans for me apparently.

I will reach out to Smitty, Mike Fogg (Hummer boy traded in his H3 for a Mercedes Sedan) and Bobby to see if they want to ride with me. If they come, I will probably bring the camper. If not, then I will rough it.

So who's in, and when?

Reactions: SAS
#8 ·
From the sounds of it Jan 6th-8th or 20th-22nd are good weekends to shoot for. I'm game for either. I have put in a request for "time off" with the boss. Will have to wait and see what she says... :lol:

#9 ·
TonkaToy said:
From the sounds of it Jan 6th-8th or 20th-22nd are good weekends to shoot for.
Both of those weekends work for me, but I prefer the 20th-22nd.

#10 ·
So then unless I hear an objection, January 20-22 will be on my calendar. I have spoken to Smitty about this and he is in. Then again, there never was any doubt about that. :lol:

#11 ·
#13 ·
Mario, I will need recon from you the week prior to verify what the roads are like going up there to camp. The new camper is a little bigger than the old one. While I had no problem dragging the pop up through 6" of snow. Something tells me that the new one will be a handful if the roads are snow covered. :lol:

If the roads look bad, I will have to rough it... Not sure how that will affect turnout with my crew. :lol: I am drawing up plans for a "Foamie" camper inspired by the trailer Wayne built. I have a few ideas, just trying to see how I can implement them. Was considering back-halfing a 1st gen I found with a wrecked front end and making a two person Teardrop camper of sorts out of that but it got sold before I could grab it. It would have been heavy also compared to the foamie. Either way, none of these ideas would be ready in time for this trip. Will most likely tent camp or sleep in the Expedition if the roads look sketchy.

#14 ·
TonkaToy said:
Mario, I will need recon from you the week prior to verify what the roads are like going up there to camp. The new camper is a little bigger than the old one. While I had no problem dragging the pop up through 6" of snow. Something tells me that the new one will be a handful if the roads are snow covered. :lol:
Now that is funny. I posted the same thing in your camper thread.

It will be no problem doing the recon as I will be in the area the entire week before the trip. I'll just make a slight detour on the way to one of the wineries.

By the way, please bring the green cot that I lent Smitty.

#15 ·
You guys have room for another? If greenie is back together I might be able to do this trip.

This week she lost a tail pipe and I broke the muffler trying to replace the tailpipe. Still have not rebuilt the SC nor have I fixed the coolant leak.

#16 ·
There is always room.

#18 ·
It is $5 a night for a camp site. No cost if you are tent camping and stay at someone else's site. No passes for the trails. I ran the trails with a stock 2nd gen Rodeo with 29" street tires. I will be taking my Trooper and Mike his Expedition.

We will be staying at Hone Quarry. Primitive camping with just a table and fire ring. There is a vault toilet.

#19 ·
Hack said:
It is $5 a night for a camp site. No cost if you are tent camping and stay at someone else's site. No passes for the trails. I ran the trails with a stock 2nd gen Rodeo with 29" street tires. I will be taking my Trooper and Mike his Expedition.

We will be staying at Hone Quarry. Primitive camping with just a table and fire ring. There is a vault toilet.
Did you see that there are a few trail closures and open fires are not permitted (not sure if you are staying at a location that would allow a fire). If I come, we have a propane fire ring that works very well for light and heat but it eats up propane.

#20 ·
The ban does not affect Hone Quarry. The prohibition covers "Building, maintaining or using a fire outside of developed recreation sites, such as campgrounds and day use areas."

The closed trails are at Mt Pleasant which is far to the South and East from where we will be.

#21 ·
I've marked the dates. We'll see what mother nature brings us between now and then.

I'll probably be in the Toyota with camper. So no heavy wheeling for me if there is snow. These winter trips are more about telling lies around the fire anyway! :D

Marcus, a lot of KY, WV, TN, NC, VA are under a burn ban right now. We were in KY last week and one of my old haunts was burning in the mountains. Forest fire. I now have one of those silly gas fires as well.

#23 ·
squatch said:
I've marked the dates. We'll see what mother nature brings us between now and then.

I'll probably be in the Toyota with camper. So no heavy wheeling for me if there is snow. These winter trips are more about telling lies around the fire anyway! :D

Marcus, a lot of KY, WV, TN, NC, VA are under a burn ban right now. We were in KY last week and one of my old haunts was burning in the mountains. Forest fire. I now have one of those silly gas fires as well.
Yeah I see lots of TN near Gatlinburg is charred. :( Wanted to visit there in the next year or two.

#24 ·
MarcusInMD said:
Yeah I see lots of TN near Gatlinburg is charred. :( Wanted to visit there in the next year or two.
It'll be back open tomorrow. Don't NOT come in a year or two just because of this. They will be back to full strength by the time you plan to come. I will probably make a day trip before the holidays just to look around and will post a report. We typically make a Feb/March overnight trip up there.

#25 ·
I agree. By June, there will fresh green growth all over. It is amazing how fast burned areas green up again. If there ever was a "good time" for this kind of thing to happen, this is it. The burned material will have time to breakdown over winter and be great fertilizer for the spring growth. We are planning a trip to Pigeon Forge next year also.

#26 ·
Less than a month away, and I think I have snapped.

IF :roll: I can get the Trooper together, and it passes inspection, I am going to bring it for it's first outing. I am most likely biting off more than I should, and this could end badly, but that is my goal. This also will mean that I will have to rough it and do some cold weather camping. Really not sure about that part, but first I have to get the rear brakes finished (parking brake cables are seized and one caliper seems shot) and it should pass inspection. It seems to hold all its fluids other than the leaking caliper, and it is running well, now that I have run a few tanks of fuel through it. I have all the parts to finish it, and hope to knock it out Monday.

I also got a new stereo for it for Christmas, so I won't have to listen to the sound of wind for the 3 hr drive up there. I might even try to talk Smitty into driving the Heep up since I will be in the Trooper. He might be able to keep up! :lol: Come to think of it, we both will have the same size engine, and will both be on stock tires. I could be a good comparison, if his will stay running right (intermittent miss). This is a last minute change, so I am going to have to scramble to reorganize, but all will hinge on the Trooper this coming week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.