Vermont Overland Trophy 1st gen Trooper

Use this forum to discuss Trail Rides, Wrench-A-Thons and other meetings

Moderator: Staff

Vermont Overland Trophy 1st gen Trooper

Postby imamonstertruck » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:52 am

Hey friends!!!... Many if you may not know but we have a member who goes by Drover. He has ran the Vermont Overland Trophy many times, typically in larger rigs and has taken home the trophy. Last year he had decided as a joke, to get a 1st gen trooper and run it this year. He has posted a few times here inquiring on various things but that is it. I have been lucky enough to have been in contact with him as he wanted the 4.77 gears from my previous RS part out. We have become buddies and he informed me last night that he would like for me to track through his instagram account and relay to you guys. He has 2 days left on the run so I will be popping in and out with updates.

Specs are: 4.77 gears, rear ARB locker, Indy 3:1 crawler gears, Aisin hubs, 255/85/16 treads, Big break upgrade, Indy torsion bars, OME rear springs, Pacer header, round eye conversion w/ JDM markers.

His adventure as follows...

This week I'm in the #vermontoverlandtrophy , it's a 5 day endurance #rally / #adventure competition. I've run it years past , but always with #landrovers and #landcuisers .

This was dinner last night. #fullblood #wagyu #ribeye. #vermontoverlandtrophy #vermont #vermontlife #farmer @royalton_farms

#basecamp for the night. #melville&moon #americancampchair #bestmadeco @bestmadeco #kanzkitchen #isuzu #trooper #overland #vermontoverlandtrophy @royalton_farms

We also enjoyed a little #domperignon with our #wagyu #ribeye . #overland #adventure #farmer #farmlife #cookoutside @royalton_farms #cheflife

This is one of the challenge sections of the day , you're scored on how you navigate the obstacles. #overland #vermont #vermontoverlandtrophy #vermontlife #farmer #isuzu #trooper #thelittleenginethatcould

Well.....here's my set up for the night, quick and easy. #butlerbag #cowboy #bedroll , #byerofmaine cot . Sleeping under the stars . #tentsareforwimps #overland #vermontoverlandtrophy #vermont #vermontlife #melvillandmoon

#wagyu #ribeye , #bestmadeco @bestmadeco #kanzkitchen @royalton_farms

@lucky8 , some of the competition in the event. #LandRover #vermontoverlandtrophy #vermontlife #adventure #4x4

Some more of the competition!! @ustacticalsupply , fully built #hummer . I think I'm out gunned here!! We'll see how we do. #vermontoverlandtrophy #vermontlife #vermont
Last edited by imamonstertruck on Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-91 Trooper, 3.4 V6, 5speed, 4.77 gears, 3:1 Revo T-Case Gears, HD tie rods, 3" body lift, 2" suspension lift, 1.5" diff drop, 33x10.5x15 BFG A/T,
Round Eye Swap (JDM marker lamps).

1989 Trooper RS http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=81642&p=722882#p722882

Previous Troopers and Build Thread->http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=63260

1988 ISUZU TROOPER WORKSHOP MANUAL

"There are only two days in the year that nothing can be done. One is called yesterday and the other is called tomorrow, so today is the right day to love, believe, do and mostly live."~ Dalai Lama

“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.”Dr.Suess

Aaronmcvay84 wrote:I think with isuzus there is a more mature crowd that realizes the value of their hard work. They keep things.

For this post the author imamonstertruck was thanked by:
Tad
imamonstertruck
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 165 times

Sponsor

Re: Vermont Overland Trophy

Postby imamonstertruck » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:00 pm

Then it was my turn!! And made it through. #isuzu #trooper #vermontoverlandtrophy #vermont #thelittleenginethatcould @royalton_farms @outdoorx4

Some more shots from today's challenges. #vermontoverlandtrophy #vermontlife #vermont #isuzu #trooper #adventure #overland #4x4 #farmer #yourfarmercandrive @royalton_farms @outdoorx4

A much needed pitstop , lunch @longtrailbrewery . #isuzu #trooper #vermontoverlandtrophy #vermont #vermontlife #farmer #adventure #overland @royalton_farms @outdoorx4

Lunch riverside @longtrailbrewery . #vermontoverlandtrophy #vermontlife #vermont #overland #adventure #4x4 @royalton_farms

My 4wd broke first thing this morning!! I've been driving all day in 2wd! Some strategy and some crazy driving got me through. I'm still in it!! Here I was driving the most difficult challenge of the day.

Made basecamp/checkpoint, decided to drive back to the farm and see what the problem is. Blew the left side CV joint, good thing I have spares !!! Should have this fixed and back in the competition within the hour. #isuzu #trooper #vermontoverlandtrophy

All fixed and back in the race! Turns out I had more than just a blown CV. Also a broken motor mount , sidewall cut in my driver left tire and a hole in the radiator. But the farm mechanic got me up and goin and back in the game. Thanks Bernie !! #vermontoverlandtrophy

My friend rob from jersey, who participates in the VOT every year. #jeep #vermontoverlandtrophy #vermont #overland #adventure @royalton_farms

Like I said, I will mirror his updates here. Pretty cool! :D

cheers
-Ian :blackeye:
-91 Trooper, 3.4 V6, 5speed, 4.77 gears, 3:1 Revo T-Case Gears, HD tie rods, 3" body lift, 2" suspension lift, 1.5" diff drop, 33x10.5x15 BFG A/T,

1989 Trooper RS http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=81642&p=722882#p722882

Previous Troopers and Build Thread->http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=63260

"There are only two days in the year that nothing can be done. One is called yesterday and the other is called tomorrow, so today is the right day to love, believe, do and mostly live."~ Dalai Lama

“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.”Dr.Suess

Aaronmcvay84 wrote:I think with isuzus there is a more mature crowd that realizes the value of their hard work. They keep things.
imamonstertruck
I am the Stig

Postby superman27344 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:08 pm

Wow, this looks like it will be an interesting thread for sure.

Lou

2000 Trooper aka "Brawn", 3.5 liter V6, 5spd
1989 Trooper aka "The Armadillo", 2.6 liter, 5spd SOLD

Carolina Isuzu Owners Facebook Group

Brawn Build Thread

The Armadillo Build Thread

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues."
-Abraham Lincoln

superman27344
Trail Master

Have thanks: 75 times

Postby paulevans76 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:56 pm

This is really cool. Following.
91 SAS Trooper - Neverending tinkering
Semi-hopped-up 3.4 + MUA5 + 3.07:1 low
Waggy D44 Front - 5.38's + RCV's + OX
Rodeo D44 Rear - 5.38's + Detroit
35" General Grabber X3's on Interco Birddogs
paulevans76
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 86 times

Postby poprivetj1 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:15 pm

RIGHT ON!
Way cool!
FAA licensed A&P mechanic wrenching on Helicopters for over 25 years.
1986 C223 Turbo Diesel Trooper
1989 Isuzu truck with 4FB1 diesel Conversion
1985 Mercedes 300D
poprivetj1
Drives on Dirt

Have thanks: 5 times

Postby imamonstertruck » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:05 pm

#mainelineoverland , having some difficulty. #jeep #overland #vermontoverlandtrophy #adventure #vermont #vermontlife

File format: mp4

Some video from the trail today , #vermontoverlandtrophy #vermont #overland #isuzu #trooper #vermontlife #adventure @royalton_farms @outdoorx4

More to come....

cheers

imamonstertruck
I am the Stig

Re: Vermont Overland Trophy 1st gen Trooper

Postby shaggydoink » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:40 pm

Crazy cool truck, great driver, amazing looking meals... SUB-SCRIBED!! :thumbup:

Jonathan
1990 Trooper S - 2.6L, 5-speed (my truck)
1991 Trooper S - 2.8L V6, 4-speed auto (maintained for littleredtrooper)
Ride hard, tread lightly.
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 384 times

Postby Cronk » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:55 pm

Very nice! Way to represent!
Cronk
Subscriber

Have thanks: 89 times

Postby imamonstertruck » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:51 pm

Last challenge of the day, a 200 ft mud trench. #vermontoverlandtrophy #vermontlife #vermont #isuzu #trooper #adventure #overland @royalton_farms

4 days in , 214 miles traveled through back roads and trails , laid the truck on its side twice, broken motor mounts , broken CV and she's still in the game. I'm exhausted, 1 day left, it all comes down to tomorrow . #vermontoverlandtrophy #vermontlife #vermont

Some shots of the other competitors today. #jeep #Cherokee on 35's . #vermontoverlandtrophy #overland #vermont #adventure #4x4

Another competitor today. #LandRover #discovery , sadly he wasn't able to even get into the pit, he got stuck at the entrance #adventure #vermontoverlandtrophy #vermont #overland

More coming... stay tuned...

cheers

itsmehb
imamonstertruck
I am the Stig

Postby itsmehb » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:24 am

Wow, I can't believe that jeep didn't just get stuck or roll over. The angle looks that extreme. Thanks for covering this for all to see.
1990 Amigo, 2.3 5 speed (sold)
1991 Pick up (long gone)
2000 Amigo, 2.2 5 speed(sold)
1985 Trooper 1.9 4 speed (sent back to KS)
1989 Trooper RS 2.6 5 spd. Red

We get too soon old and too late smart!
itsmehb
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 200 times

Postby imamonstertruck » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:34 am

Last day of the competition and Lil'man decided to join me. He'll be all set in his #recaro car seat! It's funny, at 1yr old , I asked him if he wanted to drive with daddy today, and he walked straight to the closet and picked out his #lightingmcqueen shirt from the movie cars!! So today I have a copilot !! #vermontoverlandtrophy #vermontoverland #vermont #overland

cheers

amon
imamonstertruck
I am the Stig

Postby imamonstertruck » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:37 pm

Just to give everyone an idea of what I'm up against , mostly #jeeps with 6-8" of lift and 37"-40" tires . The little #Isuzu is still in it , with less than a couple of hours to the finish line , I'm sure we'll make it!! The worst is behind us. #trooper #vermontoverlandtrophy #vermontoverland #overland #adventure #4x4

Some of the competition today , fully built #jeep with 8" of lift and 40" tires #vermontoverlandtrophy #vermontoverland #overland #adventure #4x4 #vermont

Another #jeep from today. 8" of lift dynatrax axels 40" tires #vermontoverlandtrophy #vermontoverland #overland #adventure #4x4 #adventure #overland

Last challenge trail of the day, once we make it through this we're home free! #Isuzu #trooper #vermontoverlandtrophy #vermontoverland #overland #adventure #vermont #vermontlife

cheers

imamonstertruck
I am the Stig

Postby imamonstertruck » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:08 pm

Now the #hummer is makin his attempt . These guys are the real deal, their resume reads as follows , 98' #cameltrophy Tierra del Fuego (yeah , you read that right) , 99-2001 #rainforestchallenge , #croatiatrophy , and the #outbackchallenge . These guys were mic'd up with headsets for communication between driver and spotter. #vermontoverlandtrophy #vermontoverland #overland #adventure #4x4

The Lil'man has a look of concern in his eyes after seeing the other teams navigate the final challenge. Hope he can spot me through #vermontoverlandtrophy #vermontoverland #overland #adventure #4x4 @royalton_farms #Isuzu #trooper

And......we made it!! We crossed the finish line! 5 days , 300miles of difficult terrain, 2 broken motor mounts, broken CV , hole in the radiator, and a punctured tire. We hung in there with all the big dogs, and made a pretty good showing. #vermontoverlandtrophy #vermontoverland #overland #adventure #4x4 #Isuzu #trooper

Hopefully Drew will chime in and tell us some stories :D

cheers

imamonstertruck
I am the Stig

Postby GoodyMOBB » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:37 pm

I love this thread.
GoodyMOBB
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 68 times

Postby Cronk » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:30 pm

Love it!
Cronk
Subscriber

Have thanks: 89 times

Postby Van » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:49 pm

Looks like a lot of fun... anyone got 5 days and want to be a co-driver/spotter next year? 8)

Wonder if they have any of these events closer to home. :?
Van
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 87 times

Postby SAS » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:26 am

Great story and pictures/updates; thanks for posting this!

I've been aware of the Vermont Trophy (and Nevada Trophy) for some years...thought it was/is a great idea.

There are no such events in the mid-Atlantic, that I'm aware of. Some of us in the Capital Land Cruiser Club (Maryland, DC, Virginia) toyed with the idea of hosting a 'trophy' style event years ago (our idea was to start small, do it by invitation to four or five local 4x4 clubs--e.g., ask each club to sponsor one or two two-vehicle teams), but it never materialized.

Van, looking for a co-driver or spotter for 2016? I know a young man who'd volunteer for that. :mrgreen:
Trooper & Land Cruiser Enthusiast
trailsoffroad.com
SAS
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 25 times

Postby shaggydoink » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:52 am

Thanks for posting this up Ian, and congrats for making it through Drew! :thumbup:

Jonathan
1990 Trooper S - 2.6L, 5-speed (my truck)
1991 Trooper S - 2.8L V6, 4-speed auto (maintained for littleredtrooper)
Ride hard, tread lightly.
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 384 times

Postby poprivetj1 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:04 am

Way to go Drew! Doing the same same course that some of those $80,000+ rigs in a $2000 1st gen Troope! I don't like this...
I LOVE IT! Really cool!
FAA licensed A&P mechanic wrenching on Helicopters for over 25 years.
1986 C223 Turbo Diesel Trooper
1989 Isuzu truck with 4FB1 diesel Conversion
1985 Mercedes 300D
poprivetj1
Drives on Dirt

Have thanks: 5 times

Postby slainer » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:41 pm

Wow that looks hardcore and things tend to look easier in pictures than real life.
slainer
Trail Master

Have thanks: 27 times

Postby Drover » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:22 pm

Hey! It's Drew here! Finally got some sleep and rested up , and I thought I'd pop in.

Firstly I would like to say thank you to Ian for putting up this thread (I can't post pics here, and I'm too old to figure it out!)
And also thank the guys who have helped me along my Isuzu path. They are the following - bizmarkie (allen) , Ian I'm a monster truck, and joe darlington.

I usually run really well built land rovers and landcruisers , and I had no knowledge what so ever when it came to Isuzu (I do now ;-) ). Firstly I would like to say that the guys here on planet are truly some of the most helpful and most solid guys I've ever come across, I'm really taken a back by the close knit comradery you all exhibit. Hands down the most sincere helpful group of guys I've come across. I'm known on some of the other forums , but when I came here no one knew me, they still don't, but I was treated like I've been apart of this group forever. So again thanks guys and thank you for all the kind words in the thread.

I wanted to share this with you guys becuase since I've had this Isuzu , I've noticed .......we get no love!! All my other wheeling buddies snickered when they saw me with the trooper, and to be honest , Ian's statement earlier was accurate. I did this as a joke , to enter VOT with a trooper because the previous years were too easy for me with my other trucks.

But you know what?? Over the past year I've absolutely have fallen in love with the trooper (sincerely) , and I sold my other vehicles becuase I thought they were too pretentious.

Now a year has past since I bought the truck and the time and money put into it, now I had something to prove! I gonna run the f*ckin thing and shove it up everyone's *ss

The whole reason I came up with this idea was , VOT in years past was a bunch of middle aged guys with more money than driving prowess , and the field was less than concerning. And it was easy to run. The first year there was 50 trucks entered and only 12 teams even crossed the finish line!! (I was one of them) ;-)

So I go into this year thinking it's gonna be the same as years past. F*ck me was I wrong!! This years competitors were insane , there was actually the 98' camel trophy , Tierra del Fuego , team Canary Islands there!! Seriously!!??
And the rest of the field was guys with 6"-10" of lift on 35"-40" tires!!
The first night I pull into basecamp I was like......seriously!!?? WTF !! I'm gonna look like an *sshole

My intentions on runnin the Isuzu was as follows , just finish and winch through the difficult sections and don't wreck the truck ( we all know how hard it is to get part/body panels for em)
For those of you who didn't see the truck before, it's immaculate, an par with isuzugeeks , it's cherry (or I should say, it was)

So the competition starts and the first day in , I see three different teams ahead of me ,all runnin 35's or better get stuck and have to winch. And I look at the obstacle knowing I can get through. One thing that didn't change this year was, even though you can afford a big truck, it doesn't mean you know how to drive!! And so that's where my original plan went out the window. I said f*ck it, I'll just fix the truck after the event. So at that point my whole mentality change. These guys were gonna have to give the troop some respect.

What you lack in traction and clearance can sometimes be made up with a lot of skinny pedal!!! So off the races we were.
The first 3 days were long and grueling, this is more than a "wheeling" event , it's about endurance and efficiency of camp.
I made it through the first three days without any damaged. And as the event went on , the harder it got. But......as the course went on, the closer we got to my side of the state, where I knew I had a full garage and mechanics to get me back in the game. So I pushed it so hard on the 3 day I broke the front driver CV , and the 3.1 Indy crawler gears were too much for the stock mounts , I snapped em right off. I continued the rest of the day in 2wd becuase you have to make it back to the designated checkpoint or you're DQ'd . So I make it back and at this point I'm only 1/2 hr from my garage . Make checkpoint and shoot over to my garaged. Weld the mounts solid and change the CV and I'm back in it. First run the next day, I break the weld on the motor mount!! Wtf!! But the trail was 10 min from my garage because of the direction we left that morning. Shoot straight over the the garage and we chained the damn thing down. I go back and no one even knew I was gone , lol

So now we've got 2 more challenges left and I'm feeling pretty cocky cause at this point I don't have any body damage and Ive driven every challenge except for 1 that I had to winch through. That's where it all went wrong for the old girl.
I ended up putting her on her side not once but twice. I caved in the front passenger side fender , dented the rear qtr and snapped off the passenger mirror. To be honest , I thought I was gonna get out of the truck and it was gonna be annihilated. But surprisingly she doesn't look too bad , I'm just wicked anal about the aesthetics of my vehicles. My trail rigs don't look like your typical trail rigs , they're also my daily drivers.

So , on the last day as you guys can see from the pics , I thought I'd add another level of kiss my a*ss to the rest of the "big boys" with their headsets and radio coms with designated spotters. I shot home and picked up my 1yr old and strapped in his recaro car seat and he ran the final challenge with me and we were the second guys to cross the finish line.

All in all, it was the best time I've ever had at VOT. I definitely brought a knife to a gun fight , but guess what........I made it through. And you know what??
At the end of the day , no one was talking about "hey those camel trophy guys, or the jeep guys" , you know what all the banter and discussion was??!!
Can you believe that F*UCKIN ISUZU!!!!!!!

So in parting I would like to say, we did it , there are a whole group of high level competitors on the east coast who will NEVER under estimate a little ol' Isuzu again.

I'm happy to answer any questions or inquiries about the event. Anyone want to run next year? I would be happy to guide you along , I run every year. But next year won't be with an Isuzu............I'm thinking the Isuzu wasn't embarrassing enough for the rest of them, I think I'll show up with a Baja Bug! Lol

Oh wait!! Does anyone have a right fender and a rear view mirror??!! Hahahaha

Drover was thanked by:
Cronkimamonstertrucklorenzo816
Drover
Drives on Gravel

Have thanks: 3 times

Postby Drover » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:47 pm

Hey! Ya think this qualifies me for "truck or the month" ???
Drover
Drives on Gravel

Have thanks: 3 times

Postby slainer » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:39 pm

Drover wrote:Hey! Ya think this qualifies me for "truck or the month" ???

I'm thinking adventure of the month.
slainer
Trail Master

Have thanks: 27 times

Postby Van » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:57 pm

SAS wrote:Van, looking for a co-driver or spotter for 2016? I know a young man who'd volunteer for that. :mrgreen:

Since I'm an old fart compared to you, are you volunteering. :thefinger: :lol: :lol:

Drew, very well done. :cheers: :cheers:

I've got a (getting to be) beat up pickup with a little sumtin sumtin underneath that I would love to try on that trail. Got any more info on the course? Is it the same trail every year? Any vids?
Van
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 87 times

Postby msik » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:39 am

Awsome! I'm new to Isuzu, just bought our first 1st Gen Trooper. Thanks for sharring your kick *ss story. Very cool to see what these Troopers are capable of.
90 Trooper 2.6 4x4
06 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 4x4
msik
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Next

Return to General Events & Gatherings