Texas Isuzus

Use this forum to discuss Trail Rides, Wrench-A-Thons and other meetings

Moderator: Staff

Texas Isuzus

Postby Bizmarkie » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:30 pm

I want to get a Texas Isuzu meet-up organized. There are quite a few off-road parks here in the Central Texas area and would like to see if there is any interest on Texas Isuzu'rs getting together and having a meet-up somewhere.

Let me know what y'all think.
1988 Trooper- "Azul Tortuga" 4 door- Chevy Vortec 4.3L mated to MAU5 31x10.50x15. Conn-Ferr roof rack- Interior bedlined- LED Dash and interior lighting- Warn TJ Rock Crawler bumper and 12000# winch and much more... Click for build thread

March 2014 ROTM :CLICK ME

For this post the author Bizmarkie was thanked by:
Bucket65
Bizmarkie
Super Trooper

Have thanks: 34 times

Sponsor

Re: Texas Isuzus

Postby -88- » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:40 am

I'm down.....if i can get a zu ready......but that depends on time frame....others must chime in.
Ada-99 Trooper;3.5 TOD, Luxury, 2inch crank front,+2in calmini springs&spacers rear, 265/70/r17's (axioms)-Wife's whip
Tin Cup-90 Amigo; 2.6 4x4, 5spd, ala mexican special for the time being
Dr.Molly- 94 Amigo; 2.6 2wd, 5spd, 5% smaller goodyear wranglers on 15in snowflakes, predominantly stock, cruiser (& staying minimally modded)
José Rosé-92 Pu't Spacecab; 2.6 2wd, auto, future 16inch steelies, old skool street rubber,
Frank-95 Pu't Reg. Cab; 2.3 2wd, 5spd, T-bar crank and cheap shackle lift... Mild down a bit & sold, but still near & dear.
My garage- viewtopic.php?f=15&t=76464#p674958
-88-
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 103 times

Postby Bucket65 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:47 pm

Where would you suggest we meet up? What month? I've initiated one of these TX meets before and agree we should make it happen.
Bucket
'02 Trooper: OME 3in lift, 33x10.5x15 BFG AT KOs on black steels, ARB BullBar, Indy4X Tie Rods HD links and rear steel bumper, Calmini T-bars, FDM sliders, Aisin hubs.
Bucket65
Mi Amigo

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby Bizmarkie » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:48 pm

Sorry for my laxed post follow-up.

I am currently researching maybe a "soft-roading" 2 day trail run. No rocks, no major rock climbs, gorgeous scenery and Hill Country views.

But I'm up for anything. I'm not a hard core wheeler. I'm not gonna climb rock faces and the like.

Ideas? Anyone?
1988 Trooper- "Azul Tortuga" 4 door- Chevy Vortec 4.3L mated to MAU5 31x10.50x15. Conn-Ferr roof rack- Interior bedlined- LED Dash and interior lighting- Warn TJ Rock Crawler bumper and 12000# winch and much more... Click for build thread

Bizmarkie
Super Trooper

Postby -88- » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:48 pm

Idk much for 'light' wheeling, but I'm okay with that as it greatly reduces the pressure of needing a "built" truck....where's ur current research leading?
Ada-99 Trooper;3.5 TOD, Luxury, 2inch crank front,+2in calmini springs&spacers rear, 265/70/r17's (axioms)-Wife's whip
Dr.Molly- 94 Amigo; 2.6 2wd, 5spd, 5% smaller goodyear wranglers on 15in snowflakes, predominantly stock, cruiser (& staying minimally modded)
José Rosé-92 Pu't Spacecab; 2.6 2wd, auto, future 16inch steelies, old skool street rubber,
Frank-95 Pu't Reg. Cab; 2.3 2wd, 5spd, T-bar crank and cheap shackle lift... Mild down a bit & sold, but still near & dear.
-88-
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby Bizmarkie » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:37 am

Right now I am trying to get a solid feel for the route and have scouted the first leg albeit in pieces )did two of the roads on two occasions.
There is a water crossing that can get kind of difficult depending on rain and when I went it was rather easy due to no rain.

I traveled via dirt road and fire breaks from Goldwaithe to Mason TX. It isn't any technical stuff for sure. It is a good 5 hours of driving and cool views. You cross a small suspension bridge that is very cool, one vehicle at a time, one of the oldest (oldest in Texas) still in operation. If we went on to Llano we could stay at a campground and then go to Stillwater Ranch 4x4 park if I can organize it around an open weekend. Or maybe if there is interest get it reserved for that day. It is guided trail park with good reviews from others who have run it. I haven't been there yet.

The first leg is pretty tame but would be a good primer for those who haven't offloaded their junk. I dig the overland stuff personally. The offroad park could then satisfy the harder core folks.

I am open for any type get together/run. But the interest thus far has been weak. Is it just that people dont read this sub forum?

Bizmarkie
Super Trooper

Postby superman27344 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:45 pm

I wish I lived close enough Allen, if for no other reason just to stop in and use your bathroom, lol.

Lou

2000 Trooper aka "Brawn", 3.5 liter V6, 5spd
1989 Trooper aka "The Armadillo", 2.6 liter, 5spd SELLING

Carolina Isuzu Owners Facebook Group

Brawn Build Thread

The Armadillo Build Thread

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues."
-Abraham Lincoln

superman27344
Trail Master

Have thanks: 71 times

Postby Bizmarkie » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:56 pm

Sorry dude. My bathrooms are off limits.
LOL

For this post the author Bizmarkie was thanked by:
superman27344
Bizmarkie
Super Trooper

Postby -88- » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:02 am

I have no clue why viewership/interest is so low....maybe we're the only REAL texans.....the others in tx locations are just visitors from Ok.....pussies :p

The regency bridge is an awesome piece of tx, those of you who haven't been.....come on chime in...if u like architecture, history, or scariness....it's worth the trip.....most the time peeing from the deck ur done b4 the splash at the bottom.

Another thought Llano isn't too far from marble falls 45 minutes to an hour....we could stay at ur campsite in Llano then get up find food, Llano/marble falls/you cook breakfast........& hit up hidden falls instead of stillwater.2 reasons for this thought; true over landing should include conquering some obstacles (not searching them out), but we're a little limited due to all the private land.....that means you've got to atleast do some level 1-3 trails at a park & i think HF offers more of these 'softer trails' then still water....maybe....Haven't got to check out still water in person yet either....but reason 2 more importantly Stillwater's Forte is hunting, so if there is a 'season' especially deer i don't think anyone gets to 4x4. Or in the least HF is also open for 4x4 so we won't have to plan around park access....oh possible 3rd reason increased interest, after i went to HF i had 1-3 pm's from ppl interested about going the next time

also I'm not sure of a place to camp actually in llano....I'm taking your word on that, if not and we close out in Hidden falls we could stay in one of the parks between llano and marble falls....i can't think of any between llano & mason....

but black Rock state park, and inks lake state park are both off of 29(well black Rock is a few miles off).....71 might be a more direct shot to marblefalls tho...if we stay the night in black Rock, or llano area, we drive across Buchanan lake dam(on29) in the morning, another quaint piece of tx largest multiarch dam....but i haven't seen it so idk how stellar that is....longhorn caverns state park is also kind of on the way off 29, but it's further off of 29 & if we stay there or inks it maybe dark (ish) when we cross the dam....

Colorado bend state park could also be made to be otw, but is much further out of the way....

as far as which & where I'm open to whatever/best bang for the buck...I'm not picky just throwing out options. Maybe we can piece something together just nice enough/right sized to make this an annual event....Once we get some more details sorted out & if it's cool with you...to ppossibly increase participation on the actual run I can put the idea in front of some non-zu-guys.....they're more about just 4x4 so I doubt it'll intrigue them.....just another thougt, I'm full of them....

here's the rough drafts i got so far.

2day itinerary
meet up Saturday morning 9 - 10 am
meet greet bs check out rigs use your bathroom (I'ma pee on ur tire for being all greedy with the ones at home)
Run along on your overland section
stop along the way for a cold lunch, depending on the timing of your route regency bridge?
continue on to camping location (to be determined)
Shouldn't be too late a night, & a fairly easy day so set up camp (whatever that maybe) & good to great dinner

Sunday
u make breakfast
we head to a park (to be determined)
wheel an play till 4-5 (or to whenever ppl have to leave due to distance traveled)
farewells & etc...

3 day itinerary
same as above, but Saturday becomes friday. Sunday becomes Saturday, but a full day of park runs

saturday night camp somewhere again...idk how much overnight costs at HF or stillwater, so idk about staying in the park(s)...

Sunday either another half day of wheeling kinda mandates staying the night in the offroad park we choose
or u piece together another section of over landing to take us back to the vicinity of golthwaite or somewhere else?
Or something else entirely on sunday?
-88-
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby -88- » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:04 am

Oh and one other thing, where the heck are you loacated.....ur talking stuff that ain't too dang far from me...
-88-
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby Bizmarkie » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:10 am

-88- wrote:Oh and one other thing, where the heck are you loacated.....ur talking stuff that ain't too dang far from me...

I live on Lake Buchanan, the one formed by Buchanan Dam.
HWY 29 crosses Inks lake just under the Dam. You can see the dam from the highway. Its a nice look. I have never been up to the dam on the outlet side but have taken the boat as close as the buoys on the water side.

I have been out in this part of Texas for 7 or so years and have yet to see any local 4x4 group other than rag tag teenagers. Austin has alot of exclusive Jeep clubs and the like.

Bizmarkie
Super Trooper

Postby Bucket65 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:47 am

May I suggest DFW TX 4WD MEGA RUN each March at Barnwell Mountain OHV park? This would be an excellent event for a bunch of Texas Isuzus to group up an represent the ZuZu brand. It an awesome event and camping is very nice. It seems difficult to lead a group of Zu's for an event and I'm just suggesting a time...
Bucket
'02 Trooper: OME 3in lift, 33x10.5x15 BFG AT KOs on black steels, ARB BullBar, Indy4X Tie Rods HD links and rear steel bumper, Calmini T-bars, FDM sliders, Aisin hubs.
Bucket65
Mi Amigo

Postby -88- » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:47 am

Not sure i follow you on "lead a group" or you mean set up/arrange a group meet? In tx that I can concur with, our numbers arn't the biggest....and the size of tx we all end up being vastly spread out. That doesn't mean we can't try tho, and I'm totally down with rocking barnwell too. It's on my list of want to...& I've heard tons of good things about the place....March is a good ways off tho, and i wouldn't mind 2-3...atleast 2 annual planetisuzoo tx meets. Especially when the 2 runs proposed right now are like apples to potatoes. :D

Well SOB biz....pretty much everything I suggested is your backyard, I can't imagine them being that appealing to ya I'ma need some more thoughts.....

As for groups/clubs there's waaaay more out there then you think, but yours and mine rurality greatly keeps us out of the loop. So we have a much smaller sample then what's out there, then pull the rag tag kids, h jeep only groups out there's even less. And personaly I'm not too interested in an open to all, but still predominant jeep club either....Jeepers just don't understand it from our minority pov in the offroad community.....

I've been prospecting a group for a little less then a yr & i think they're the ones for me. Most of'em are into explorers so they get a little more what it's like not to have that certain component just sitting on a store shelf waiting for you to buy it. It's still a small group, but as such close & cozy group. Their msg boards a little slow, but they seem to average 4-5 local runs a yr. Base membership is free, & like i said i think I'ma go full paid member. Check ' Em out if ya want demon4x4.com if not I'll probably be relaying their events/runs here anyways....they don't care what ya wheel, & seem more then open to furthering membership....
-88-
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby Bizmarkie » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:53 am

Actually Im interested in any of it. I haven't been to any 4x4 parks in the area. I have driven a couple hundred miles of dirt roads and the like around central Texas and San Antonio.

I went to the demon site and will do some more snooping.

Bizmarkie
Super Trooper

Postby -88- » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:21 am

I meant camping in the parks around lake buchanan....i figure those ARE your backyard and as such less appealing to you as they lack any sort of exoticness.....err go i was looking to see what opportunities lay the other way. I thought along the San saba river there was an offroad/camp friendly area....not coming up with it....still twiddling thumbs...

i forgot tho with demon your pretty close to alot of members. Our chef is in marblefalls, aswell as another guy I believe....then a decent few in San-austin-tonio. The guy with the pinz is in salado...then there's 3 counting me up here...our founder is in Houston with a few other members. Mature group, youngest member i would guess is early 20s....
-88-
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby Bizmarkie » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:51 pm

As far as camping, I am game for anything, anywhere. Aint much of a get together if it ends up being just you and I. LOL

I registered for the demon site. Waiting on a email to sign in.

Bizmarkie
Super Trooper

Postby shaggydoink » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:47 am

Ugh, I'm with Lou... I wish I wasn't 1,400 miles away, I'd join y'all on this mini adventure in a heartbeat. Best of luck with your planning!

Shaggy
1990 Trooper S - 2.6L, 5-speed (my truck)
1991 Trooper S - 2.8L V6, 4-speed auto (maintained for littleredtrooper)
Ride hard, tread lightly.
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 377 times

Postby Centex Trooper » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:51 pm

Allen, we talked about this over the weekend. Let's get some renewed spark from a few others and make it happen!
Oh, went on Greenhorn after you left. Glad I had some steel guarding the underside. Had a few good hard knocks! Had to place a few rocks to clear one step-up in the creek...
Had a blast hanging and rollin with ya this weekend!
95 Trooper S. Still in the works, but she's come a long way!
Centex Trooper
Drives on Dirt

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Bizmarkie » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:22 am

I got a couple routes plotted and tentative timeline of the drive. It isnt finished but it is close. I also thought about just a driving trip with stops in a few ghost towns here in the Central Texas area. I'd need to map the locations to do it off pavement, or if we can drum up interest, just hit a few for the heck of it if I cant piece together a off road route.

Lou and Shaggy, its only time and money. Come on down!

Bizmarkie
Super Trooper

Postby Centex Trooper » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:14 pm

You know I'm down, Allen! Let's get this rolling. Let me know if I can help plan in any way!
95 Trooper S. Still in the works, but she's come a long way!
Centex Trooper
Drives on Dirt

Postby AquaToy » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:09 am

Hey guys....new to overlanding, but not to camping or off roading.....I'm in.....just let me know how I can help. I live in New Braunfels but hell....I can drive the trooper anywhere, right? LoL.

Jay-Are
AquaToy
Drives on Pavement

Postby Bucket65 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:39 am

DFWTX4WD event 1st week of March called Megarun. "Run what ya brung" is the motto... Trails at Barnwell Mountain BMRA for stock to extreme. Great camping, great raffle, and great event. Google their club and hope to see some ZU's there this year...
Bucket
Bucket65
Mi Amigo

Postby archmckinnon » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:18 am

Let's get this Party started!!!!

Let's plan a meet!!

Arch
Arch McKinnon

Somewhere West of North.

Song singer, Story teller, Slayer of Dragon's, killer of Time, Enemy of any Man who has a good Lookin Woman, Outdoorsman, and I like Chilli.

1989 Isuzu Trooper LS- Original Owner

1989 Isuzu Trooper RS- former Proud Owner- sold to a Great Home!

Voted October 2015 Ride of the Month
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=61211

We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time. T. S. Eliot
archmckinnon
Trail Master

Have thanks: 24 times

Postby Happster » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:46 pm

Hey there, new member in Austin, if you plan out a date I'd love to take the Storm Trooper on the dirt for the first time. Give me a date and location and I can plan from there. I am free just about every fri-sun. Any Austin locals, let me know if you'd like to meet up for food sometime!
Happster
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby 93stormtrooper » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:13 pm

OK!! I am out in Houston and would love a Texas meet up! I just recently (within a month) bought my first isuzu and I have been dying to get it out in some mud/sticks/whatever! So if I have to drive to the hillcountry/central tejas then so be it!!
1993 Trooper, 3.2 SOHC, 5 speed, auto hubs

Luck can change. Skills will last a lifetime if you dont get lazy.
93stormtrooper
Drives on Gravel

Have thanks: 1 time

Next

Return to General Events & Gatherings