Isuzu SUV Forum banner

North GA MTN run 3-11 (Flatlands/ cooper creek area)

10K views 37 replies 9 participants last post by  TPR10inchIFS 
#1 ·
Hey everybody,

I'd like see if anyone is up for a small off-road expedition, details below. It's starting to get nice and warm and Beasley knob opens in April and Spring Uwharrie is just around the corner so I'd like to do a little shakedown run.

I would imagine we want to make the most of the day, so meeting in Dahlonega/Suches @ 9am or so. I'm in Athens and can meet in Pendergrass if anyone wants to ride along.

If you can't take your vehicle, but still want to go and just say so, one of us will likely have extra room. If you know anyone else that may want to go, they are more than welcome.

Let me know if you have any questions, or if you want to recommend a trail you know that's nearby to the Blairsville area.

There are several decent videos on youtube of Flatlands rd, its pretty technical/ off camber sections and has water crossings, in all these trails there is a possibly of trail damage if you goof up. But with enough people it should be a fun outing with decent spotters around.

Run down:
1. Meet near or Suches/Dahlonega (129 hwy)
2. Suches to Blairsville via Flatland road
3. Flatlands leads to Cooper creek WMA so there are a lot of roads there
4. ?? Charlies creek or Trey Mtn are both like 30 mins away from Blairsville.

See less See more
#3 ·
Count me in - should be a great time to test out some of the changes I've made recently.

Im thinking meet in Dahlonega (8AM?) , pretty easy for most everyone to find - I am not very familiar with roads/ trails in that area - and roll out from there as a group.

I have a mostly stock gen 1 trooper, 2" suspension lift, 31" tires, CB, and warn hubs. With any luck, I should have my winch bumper finished up and installed by then. If I, or anyone else gets stuck, should be able to recover with the winch.

#4 ·
I'm meeting some folks at my work in Pendergrass around 8, so likley 9 or so before we get to Dahlonega downtown or near 400.

#6 ·
Less than a week away. Firm up your schedules!!

#7 ·
#10 ·
Alright Folks, Let me know if you in, We need to nail down who we need to wait for.

Thanks
Eric

#11 ·
I'm in for sure. Where do you want to meet up in the Dalhonega area? Waffle House/ home depot area at the end of 400, or some place more on the north side of the city?

#12 ·
The home depot works, We should be up that way around 8:45-9.

#14 ·
Had a blast today, I'll post pics up monday

#15 ·
Eric, thanks for noticing my 4wheel drive wasn't working then temporarily fixing it. As I texted you, I'd go to war with yo anytime! You're a balls to the wall, get-er-done, soldier! Thanks Chris "Princes Slippers" LOL and every one else for a great day. Chris I'd go to war war with you anytime as well. We didn't want to get in the mud but the trail had different plans! Thanks everyone for helping me clear SEVERAL LIMBS THAT WERE IN THE WAY of my tall trooper

Attachments

#16 ·
Oh and here is a few pics of why I HATE/LOVE the mud! I'll load some vids when I can

Attachments

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
Epic picture post 1
All gassed and oiled up, Typical Zu meet up everyone topping off their oil before we hit the road.lol
IMG_20170311_095718.jpg

We then spent about 20-30 mins cutting/hacking through a downed tree to get through this big mud hole. I did some trailblazing through the woods to the otherside to help pull the debris away.
IMG_20170311_105256.jpg

John made up for all his "neediness" by coming prepared with Lunch. And a great lunch it was.
IMG_20170311_131513.jpg

We then made are way up Coopers gap to Canada Creek just to discover it had be grown up and abandoned, perhaps we can camp out here one weekend and clear the road, it makes for a great creek crossing. Despite the Creepy Murder towers you have to pass.
IMG_20170311_142900.jpg

We got to Flatlands road via Cavender gap and FS 637, it was badly rutted, so much that you risk flipping on your side or scrapping your roof. Oh and its steep as he** too, don't let these pics make it look easy. It was a thrill to get down without a scratch.
IMG_20170311_165444.jpg

Attachments

#19 · (Edited by Moderator)
Epic pic post 2
The only non-Zu in our group was this 86 Taco with a rear locker on 31s, He did great and Sam provided plenty of tools in his bed and his GPS gizmo was top notch.
IMG_20170311_172726.jpg

James lifting his tire, one of many occasions, while making it down the gulch.
IMG_20170311_173507.jpg

John's super tall Trooper made it especially difficult to stay upright without scrubbing the walls, he did a great job, This pic has no weird effects, I think john was going into a time warp or something.
IMG_20170311_174403.jpg

Chris made easy work of the bottom of flatlands, showing off all that leafy flex.
IMG_20170311_180043.jpg

We lined up on a clif side for this gratuitous poser shot, Don't hate...
IMG_20170311_184427.jpg

We will have to do this again when its not so Cold out. Maybe we can get acouple for guys from around the area. Thanks again to John, Chris, Jimmy, and James, you guys were great and we couldn't of made it through without everyone pitching in. I be in touch with another good out and maybe tacking Beasley Knob, Charlies creek, and Trey Mtn.

Attachments

#20 ·
Some of the really good pics (23x) from later in the days did not save properly on my phone for some reason - just got black/ blank files for most of the gulch run. ugh...
But here are the better ones that I do have.

Again, thanks to Eric for organizing this trip (and knowing EXACTLY where/ what to fix on Johns trooper to get the axle actuators to lock up) and special thanks to John for bringing food and gear to feed our little crew. It may be hard to tell from pics, but Sam's Toyota truck has a bobbed bed, and has been done right - looks good! And I love the wheel/ tire combo on James silver 1st gen Trooper.

Good trip with awesome people - hope to do another soon (with chain saws next time, though)

Attachments

#21 ·
more pics

That was a DEEP hole.

Attachments

#22 ·
more pics

Attachments

#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
trooper thumb.jpg

Ok guys I learned how to use iMovie on my Macbook and here is my first Youtube video. Thanks again to everyone for an awesome time. Hope you enjoy the vid.

Attachments

#24 ·
You definitely need a CV by next time John.

#26 ·
Just out of morbid curiosity, how much time did y'all spend cleaning your rigs after the trip? I spent 3 hours with my pressure washer and it's only 80% done. Mud just keeps running out of the frame rails and cross members and control arms, even after you think you have blasted it all out. Ugh, I hate mud.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.