North GA MTN run 3-11 (Flatlands/ cooper creek area)

Use this forum to discuss Trail Rides, Wrench-A-Thons and other meetings

Moderator: Staff

Re: North GA MTN run 3-11 (Flatlands/ cooper creek area)

Postby Chris-6mgte » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:44 pm

Just out of morbid curiosity, how much time did y'all spend cleaning your rigs after the trip? I spent 3 hours with my pressure washer and it's only 80% done. Mud just keeps running out of the frame rails and cross members and control arms, even after you think you have blasted it all out. Ugh, I hate mud.
'88 Trooper 294k, (the Sandbox)
Jerry cam; fresh AMC head; custom fan shroud and electric fans; HD torsion bars and rear Add-a-Leaf; rebuilt entire front end joints/ bushings, links etc..;
Autometer gauges; custom winch bumper and roof rack. Uniden 520XL CB.
Chris-6mgte
Drives on Gravel

Have thanks: 1 time

Sponsor

Postby egagnon086 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:34 am

I spent about 20mins with a pressure washer then went through an auto wash, got the $10 special. Truck looks great. No mud in my frame as far as I can tell. Lots stuck in the wheel wells and bumpers before I pressure washed.
egagnon086
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 92 times

Postby TPR10inchIFS » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:37 am

Mine is still sitting on the curb at the house. I haven't had time yet. I usually spend about 30.00 and 6 hours! I'll chime in later and let y'all know.
DONE: 02 Isuzu Trooper Limited, 10" custom lift, 7"suspension, 3"body. Calmini torsion bars indexed, Rusty's coil overs with pucks, fitted Rancho 5000 shocks, widened/welded brackets for shocks, extended front sway bar links, Independent4x extended brake lines, Independent4x steering extension, Independent4x HD tie rods with custom spindle/hub assembly insert for full +- travel, custom shortened cv axles and custom welded front diff drop brackets for full +- travel, upper and lower ball joint shims/wedges with Independent4x ball joins swap spacers for full +- travel, extended body safety hooks, extended e-brake brackets, extended shift linkage, extended transfer case shifter, 1.5" front wheel spacers, rebuilt engine, rebuilt trans withe the "playing with fire" front PWM pump swap, 300-400rpm lower stall torque converter, external trans cooler, Super Winch manual locking hubs, ARB front bumper with angled end caps, driving light inserts, and mounted PIAAS, front/rear custom 3" bumper brackets, Surco roof rack on custom Bosch extruded aluminum sliding frame to cover or expose sunroof, custom fog light wiring harness to allow roof rack travel, front fogs, side "camping" fogs and rear reverse fogs on rack, cold air intake, thrush high flow muffler, rodeo head rests front and rear, oh *!$!@*! grab handles drivers side, custom sound with 6" speakers in rear and two 12" subs, six 17" Moto Metal wheels with BFG TA KO 315s (35") tires

TO DO: Warn Winch and reinforce bumper brackets, custom rear bumper, Ausie lockers, rear jump seat, rear oh *!$!@*! handles left and right. tint windows, 1/4" - 1/2" rear wheel spacers, upgrade brakes to dual pistons and slotted, custom rock sliders, all new poly bushings, convert all lights to led.

MIGHT DO: Snorkel, air shocks with onboard compressor, roof rack tent, dual alternators and battery, cb, front Reese hitch, winch Reese mount for using front or rear.
TPR10inchIFS
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 4 times

Postby ZuminaZX » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:49 pm

that trooper is crazy looking, how did you lift it that high without breaking pretty much everything?
2004 Rodeo 3.5 DI
ZuminaZX
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 22 times

Postby TPR10inchIFS » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:02 am

Well I've had about 16 troopers over the years and wheeled half of them. I've fabricated and tested many of the parts. Every time She's on a trail it's a test. When something gets bent it gets strengthened and the testing begins again. One of these days I will post the whole build and probably offer certain parts for sale. My brother and I are looking at shops for sale now. If we buy one we will throw up a website, so stay tuned! The hieght is the first chalange but you're right the leverage and strain it puts on parts is the second but the third challenge is squeezing as much travel out of her as possible! Many of the parts are listed in my obnoxious signature. But the short answer to your question is 3" body lift, 7.5" suspension custom axels that shorten and lengthen about 3/4 both directions allowing travel along with ball joint spacers and wedges precisely messured to allow full travel and all steering components addressed and strengthened allowing full travel.There's a part I'm keeping under wraps for now Ive been working on that is mounted and 60 percent functional. I've been testing it for the past 6 months but finally the most important thing is TAKE IT SLOW AND EASY ON THE TRAILS, CLIMB SLOW AND EASY AND LIMIT TIRE SLIP AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. Thanks for the compliment and question!
DONE: 02 Isuzu Trooper Limited, 10" custom lift, 7"suspension, 3"body. Calmini torsion bars indexed, Rusty's coil overs with pucks, fitted Rancho 5000 shocks, widened/welded brackets for shocks, extended front sway bar links, Independent4x extended brake lines, Independent4x steering extension, Independent4x HD tie rods with custom spindle/hub assembly insert for full +- travel, custom shortened cv axles and custom welded front diff drop brackets for full +- travel, upper and lower ball joint shims/wedges with Independent4x ball joins swap spacers for full +- travel, extended body safety hooks, extended e-brake brackets, extended shift linkage, extended transfer case shifter, 1.5" front wheel spacers, rebuilt engine, rebuilt trans withe the "playing with fire" front PWM pump swap, 300-400rpm lower stall torque converter, external trans cooler, Super Winch manual locking hubs, ARB front bumper with angled end caps, driving light inserts, and mounted PIAAS, front/rear custom 3" bumper brackets, Surco roof rack on custom Bosch extruded aluminum sliding frame to cover or expose sunroof, custom fog light wiring harness to allow roof rack travel, front fogs, side "camping" fogs and rear reverse fogs on rack, cold air intake, thrush high flow muffler, rodeo head rests front and rear, oh *!$!@*! grab handles drivers side, custom sound with 6" speakers in rear and two 12" subs, six 17" Moto Metal wheels with BFG TA KO 315s (35") tires

TO DO: Warn Winch and reinforce bumper brackets, custom rear bumper, Ausie lockers, rear jump seat, rear oh *!$!@*! handles left and right. tint windows, 1/4" - 1/2" rear wheel spacers, upgrade brakes to dual pistons and slotted, custom rock sliders, all new poly bushings, convert all lights to led.

MIGHT DO: Snorkel, air shocks with onboard compressor, roof rack tent, dual alternators and battery, cb, front Reese hitch, winch Reese mount for using front or rear.
TPR10inchIFS
Drives on Pavement

Postby TPR10inchIFS » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:07 am

egagnon086 wrote:You definitely need a CV by next time John.

I hear ya Eric. I'll start looking for a CB now......you did mean CB right

TPR10inchIFS
Drives on Pavement

Postby egagnon086 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:16 am

Yeah, CB. I need to work on my CVS, I got torn boots on my driver side.
egagnon086
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 92 times

Postby reran » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:05 am

Looks like y'all had a blast! Wish I coulda made it. I would love to explore more of the N Ga mountains. If y'all do it again, keep us posted. Thanks for the pics and vids!
"As slowly as possible, as fast as necessary."

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

89 Trooper, 2.6L Turbo, AW 30-80LE
90 Spacecab LS 4wd, 2.6, 5spd
94 Trooper SE, 3.2 DOHC
Image Image
reran
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 24 times

Postby Lifelikeworm » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:51 am

Chris-6mgte wrote:Just out of morbid curiosity, how much time did y'all spend cleaning your rigs after the trip? I spent 3 hours with my pressure washer and it's only 80% done. Mud just keeps running out of the frame rails and cross members and control arms, even after you think you have blasted it all out. Ugh, I hate mud.

It took about an hour to get the outside body clean. I still have to remove the carpet from the passengers area to get the mud out. I haven't even touched the under carriage or the engine compartment. that will be a day's work easy.
Lifelikeworm
Drives in Mud

Have thanks: 3 times

Postby ZuminaZX » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:15 pm

TPR10inchIFS wrote:Well I've had about 16 troopers over the years and wheeled half of them. I've fabricated and tested many of the parts. Every time She's on a trail it's a test. When something gets bent it gets strengthened and the testing begins again. One of these days I will post the whole build and probably offer certain parts for sale. My brother and I are looking at shops for sale now. If we buy one we will throw up a website, so stay tuned! The hieght is the first chalange but you're right the leverage and strain it puts on parts is the second but the third challenge is squeezing as much travel out of her as possible! Many of the parts are listed in my obnoxious signature. But the short answer to your question is 3" body lift, 7.5" suspension custom axels that shorten and lengthen about 3/4 both directions allowing travel along with ball joint spacers and wedges precisely messured to allow full travel and all steering components addressed and strengthened allowing full travel.There's a part I'm keeping under wraps for now Ive been working on that is mounted and 60 percent functional. I've been testing it for the past 6 months but finally the most important thing is TAKE IT SLOW AND EASY ON THE TRAILS, CLIMB SLOW AND EASY AND LIMIT TIRE SLIP AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. Thanks for the compliment and question!

So it has 7.5" of lift plus an additional 4.5" or so of down travel and 4.5" of up travel?? Meaning at full-droop your front tire is 11.5-12" lower than that of a stock trooper?
2004 Rodeo 3.5 DI
ZuminaZX
Zu Royalty

Postby TPR10inchIFS » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:42 pm

No that's 10.5 from bump stop to bump stop ( shaved bump stops and altered upper control arm) measuring from center of tire/wheel. 10.5 is the full travel. It rides at about 7.5 of upward travel allowing 3" downward. The lift is also 10.5" coincidently!

TPR10inchIFS
Drives on Pavement

Postby ZuminaZX » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:28 am

TPR10inchIFS wrote:No that's 10.5 from bump stop to bump stop ( shaved bump stops and altered upper control arm) measuring from center of tire/wheel. 10.5 is the full travel. It rides at about 7.5 of upward travel allowing 3" downward. The lift is also 10.5" coincidently!

Ah, that's cool. I have CV shaft/cup clearance issues at about the same time the balljoints max out. I had my limiting straps set just before this point and had to cut the OEM steel droop stop.
2004 Rodeo 3.5 DI
ZuminaZX
Zu Royalty

Postby TPR10inchIFS » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:38 am

I had to cut, grind, weld and grind a new boot lip/seat add a section to the axel shaft and respline.....if you shorten the cup and machine a new angle and clip grove it won't be limited at that angle. I may offer these axels for sale one day if anyone wants to squeeze as much lift and travel out of their rigs as possible but man it's a lot of work and you also have to address ball joint angles and tie rod angles

TPR10inchIFS
Drives on Pavement

Previous

Return to General Events & Gatherings