Isuzu SUV Forum banner

88 TROOPER WINDSHIELD WIPER SELF PARKING REPAIR

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  itsmehb 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I successfully rebuilt the windshield wiper motor in my '88 Trooper, but the self-parking never worked. Whenever I turned off the wipers, they would immediately stop and never return to the parking position. The manuals refer to a parking relay circuit, but I was never able to find it. Turns out the self park circuit board is a part of the combination control on the steering column. I removed the combo switch from the column. Then I removed the circuit board, cleaned and inspected it. The picture below shows the solder side of the board. There were 25 fractured solder joints. I resoldered ALL of the connections on the board, and reinstalled it. The wipers park perfectly now. Simple repair for a very frustrating problem. A heads up to members having the same difficulty.

- JAMES

wiper stop.png

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Really nice work, a lot of patience to remove switch from steering column and open up. Should help someone with same problem. How did you find the location of board?

#3 ·
Totten -

Thanks for the attaboy.

The high beam headlights on our Trooper quit working, and I was checking the circuit. I traced the problem to the dimmer switch on the steering column combination control. I was looking in the service manual to determine which wire on the combo switch plug went to the high beams, when I noticed one of the plug's wires was labeled "self parking." I traced that wire to a plug connected to the self park circuit board. Only two screws to remove it. Easy resolder fix.
BTW ... the headlight problem turned out to be another broken solder connection. I ended up resoldering everything in the switch. Fixed two problems for the price of one.
Hardest part of the whole job was getting the steering wheel off.

- JAMES

#4 ·
You hit yourself in the head pulling the wheel didn't you? Laughing, been there and done that. If you whack it with the heel of your hand and get it vibrating a little, it will come off in a more controlled fashion. Good information in your post, thanks for sharing it.

#5 ·
Thanks for the article. It will save someone in the future from a lot of trouble knowing someone before them has fixed a problem there having, and there fix may be the same.....Harry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.