engine bay ground wire upgrades

Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Isuzu

Moderator: Staff

engine bay ground wire upgrades

Postby mdc0135 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:02 am

hi, i seen a few videos on You tube people have upgraded /added larger wire .. for example use 4 gauge wire positve from alt to battery, then larger wire grounds from engine block to chassus and battery to chassis. has anyone done this type of upgrade to thier isuzu ..i thought it be kinda interesting. but not sure if it waste of time or not
mdc0135
Drives on Gravel

Have thanks: 4 times

Sponsor

Re: engine bay ground wire upgrades

Postby mmceorange » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:49 pm

For the older vehicles, upgrading grounding certainly cannot hurt. You certainly don't need 4ga wire for ground though.. I used 12ga equivalent braided straps on my 2006 mazda.. providing a direct ground to the throttle body, both cylinder heads, and a couple other electronic components. Where the older isuzus are not really computer oriented, it may not make much difference except for things like temp and oil sensors and such, but as I said.. it cannot hurt, especially if there is lots of corrosion. I know (from experience) with newer, computer-centric vehicles like my mazda, poor grounds can cause all kinds of weird issues.
mmceorange
Drives on Gravel

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby mdc0135 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:58 pm

oh ok i got ya, i never thought of using the braided straps, those are available in different lengths and with the terminals on and ready to go
mdc0135
Drives on Gravel

Have thanks: 4 times

Postby batvette » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:02 pm

If you got a big stereo yes yes yes.
If not prolly doesnt matter much checking integrity of the OEM is plenty.
I put in an a/d/s p840 years ago and did 1/0 battery to frame, 4 gauge x2 block to body, and a body to frame back by the amp.
Since then I put in a second battery, upgraded to 90a alternator, 2 tvs, about a half dozen fans and blowers, a freezer a microwave a 1000 watt inverter various lights etc. Added a few more grounds here and there.
1995 Passport V-6 2wd 5spd.
Solar powered ventilation & sound system w/custom kickpods and 15's:
http://s353.beta.photobucket.com/user/batvette/library/passportstereo
batvette
Trail Master

Have thanks: 15 times

Postby JMEngland88 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:08 pm

Definitely not a waste of time, and yes, wire gauge does matter. If you want an easy calculation, just take how many amps your alternator is capable of producing and then go from there. Make sure you overkill it a little bit to account for an underrated alternator and long term cable deterioration. For electrical components to work (in this example the alternator and battery) they must have both a proper positive and ground. If you have 2 gauge power wires, but a tiny little 14g ground from the battery to chassis, you have limited the current for the entire system down to that 14g wire. I personally used 2g when I did mine, because the price difference was pretty nil. I paid slightly more for the wire, but the connectors were cheaper for some reason so I came out about the same. I have a upgraded alternator and wanted to make sure my electrical system was really able to use it for the benefit of my sound system and one day a winch and on board compressor. Just search amazon for welding cable, crimp on terminal lugs, and a hammer crimper. For less than 100 bucks you should be able to get everything you need plus more. Definitely go with the welding cable though, it's all oxygen free copper. A lot of the battery cables on the market nowadays geared towards car audio are copper clad aluminum and will go to crap in moist environments in a jiffy. What your looking to upgrade is your alternator pos to battery pos, chassis to battery neg, and engine block to chassis. In doing these three you give your alternator free flow in both positive and negative, as well as everything else attached to the battery or chassis. Make sure that positive cable is crimped tight, insulated, and bolted down correctly, a loose wire can lead to a vehicle fire if it pops lose from one end, fyi.

For this post the author JMEngland88 was thanked by:
Lorenzo99
JMEngland88
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 3 times

Postby batvette » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:56 pm

You can also solder those terminals on, its ridiculously easy and all you need is solder and some kind of torch. After crimping put the cable in some kind of holder like a vise, oriented vertically with the terminal end up. Apply heat to the whole barrel end of the terminal for about 30 seconds (depends on size) and when its good and hot start feeding solder into the barrel where the wir goes in. The solder will mostly travel to where you apply heat. Don't move or touch it till it cools which you can speed by pouring a little water on it or squeezing a soaking wet rag around it. It will never come loose and solder prevents dissimilar metal corrosion.
1995 Passport V-6 2wd 5spd.
Solar powered ventilation & sound system w/custom kickpods and 15's:
http://s353.beta.photobucket.com/user/batvette/library/passportstereo
batvette
Trail Master

Have thanks: 15 times

Postby QuantumRift » Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:35 am

Braided straps work great. If you have a CD or amateur radio installed, it's also good to ground the hood to the engine block as well. Eliminates a possible source of noise.

mdc0135 wrote:hi, i seen a few videos on You tube people have upgraded /added larger wire .. for example use 4 gauge wire positve from alt to battery, then larger wire grounds from engine block to chassus and battery to chassis. has anyone done this type of upgrade to thier isuzu ..i thought it be kinda interesting. but not sure if it waste of time or not
"If Opportunity knocks and he's not at home, Opportunity waits."
"Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't do that thing."

1990 Isuzu LS SpaceCab 4x4 (Japanese-built, September 1989)
224,000 miles.
K&N Air Filter
2.6 L 4ZE1 engine, 5-spd manual
Monroe Sensa-track Load Adjusting Shocks (rear)
Monroe OE Spectrum Shocks (front)
MagnaFlow Muffler & Cat Converter
Akebono ProACT Ultra-Premium Ceramic Brake Pads (front)
Wagner Thermoquiet Ceramic Brake Pads (rear)
Owned since 15 miles. Bought new Honolulu, HI in Oct '89.
Original sticker price: $15,000.
QuantumRift
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 99 times

Return to Audio & Electronics