Moderator: Staff

Re: Big site announcement

Postby imamonstertruck » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:02 am

AG_Admin wrote:
JoeIsuzu wrote:
AG_Admin wrote:what is the concern?
-Philip

What Isuzu do you own?

I suspect that may summarize anyone's concern.

Jack

Hi Jack,
My primary focus is to handle the technical aspects of the site not manage the community. I work for the company that acquired the site, me personally not owning an Isuzoo should have little bearing on my ability to make sure you can post and participate. Unless there is an issue with your account or the site; or you have an idea to make the site better there should be little to no interaction between us. I would not worry much since Tad is still here and staying here. Same people you know and love that run the day to day here are still the same.
-Philip

Isuzoo or Isuzu?

TAD... Ive always trusted your judgment. May your shoulders rest easy my friend.

Cheers
-Ian
-91 Trooper, 3.4 V6, 5speed, 4.77 gears, 3:1 Revo T-Case Gears, HD tie rods, 3" body lift, 2" suspension lift, 1.5" diff drop, 33x10.5x15 BFG A/T,
Round Eye Swap (JDM marker lamps).

1989 Trooper RS http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=81642&p=722882#p722882

Previous Troopers and Build Thread->http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=63260

1988 ISUZU TROOPER WORKSHOP MANUAL

"There are only two days in the year that nothing can be done. One is called yesterday and the other is called tomorrow, so today is the right day to love, believe, do and mostly live."~ Dalai Lama

“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.”Dr.Suess

Aaronmcvay84 wrote:I think with isuzus there is a more mature crowd that realizes the value of their hard work. They keep things.
imamonstertruck
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 166 times

Sponsor

Postby JoeIsuzu » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:44 am

imamonstertruck wrote:
AG_Admin wrote:
JoeIsuzu wrote:
AG_Admin wrote:what is the concern?
-Philip

What Isuzu do you own?

I suspect that may summarize anyone's concern.

Jack

Hi Jack,
My primary focus is to handle the technical aspects of the site not manage the community. I work for the company that acquired the site, me personally not owning an Isuzoo should have little bearing on my ability to make sure you can post and participate. Unless there is an issue with your account or the site; or you have an idea to make the site better there should be little to no interaction between us. I would not worry much since Tad is still here and staying here. Same people you know and love that run the day to day here are still the same.
-Philip

Isuzoo or Isuzu?

TAD... Ive always trusted your judgment. May your shoulders rest easy my friend.

Cheers
-Ian

Yeah, I caught that, too. :lol: But he made it pretty clear that his role is to do the technical stuff, so I didn't comment. I echo your comment to Tad! :)

Jack
Original owner, 1983 Isuzu P'up LS Diesel. Engine overhauled by JLEMOND. Ready for new paint now!
1994 Isuzu Amigo 2wd
IsuzuPup.com
"There are no dumb questions"?! Maybe not...
but there are smart ways to ask. Old, but classic:
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
JoeIsuzu
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 78 times

Postby AG_Admin » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:10 am

A play on the site url is all. :)
-Philip
AG_Admin
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby superman27344 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:39 am

AG_Admin wrote:A play on the site url is all. :)
-Philip

See, he can even make a joke in spite some of yall surrounding him with torches and pitchforks, I like him already.

Lou

2000 Trooper aka "Brawn", 3.5 liter V6, 5spd
1989 Trooper aka "The Armadillo", 2.6 liter, 5spd SOLD

Carolina Isuzu Owners Facebook Group

Brawn Build Thread

The Armadillo Build Thread

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues."
-Abraham Lincoln

superman27344
Expedition Ready

Have thanks: 76 times

Postby mudoilngears » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:50 am

I have nothing against Phillip, or Auto Guide. However I will point out some things.

There's a big difference between a site being owned and managed by someone who is a direct member of the community, an enthusiast of the subject of the forum. And a site being owned and administrated by a corporation.

Tad I'm sure wasn't making any money off this, if anything, he probably was spending his own personal money and time maintaining the site. AutoGuide isn't going to do that. They aren't interested in our Isuzus, they just need a platform to generate revenue.

Hence my concern.
1998 Rodeo LS 4x4 4JB1-TC Diesel Swap, more mods to come!

SOLD- :( 1990 Isuzu Amigo 4X4 4ZE1 engine. Front Aussie Locker, HD Sway Away T-bars,Smittybilt XRC8 winch.
Build in progress...
mudoilngears
Expedition Ready

Have thanks: 65 times

Postby superman27344 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:59 am

mudoilngears wrote:I have nothing against Phillip, or Auto Guide. However I will point out some things.

There's a big difference between a site being owned and managed by someone who is a direct member of the community, an enthusiast of the subject of the forum. And a site being owned and administrated by a corporation.

Tad I'm sure wasn't making any money off this, if anything, he probably was spending his own personal money and time maintaining the site. AutoGuide isn't going to do that. They aren't interested in our Isuzus, they just need a platform to generate revenue.

Hence my concern.

I guess to me, the concern is silly at this point since its already done and probably can't be undone. Not trying to be a jerk to you for voicing your concern, but in the end, it was Tad's decision to make and he did what he felt was best for the forum. I am sure that he didn't enter into this lightly and probably weighed all the pros and cons of it all. I think we should all just trust that his decision to make this change will continue to keep the forum going for a long time. I understand that change is always a hard thing to accept, even when the change is relatively small in its impact on us.

Lou

2000 Trooper aka "Brawn", 3.5 liter V6, 5spd
1989 Trooper aka "The Armadillo", 2.6 liter, 5spd SOLD

Carolina Isuzu Owners Facebook Group

Brawn Build Thread

The Armadillo Build Thread

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues."
-Abraham Lincoln

superman27344
Expedition Ready

Have thanks: 76 times

Postby jwray76 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:01 pm

Thanks to everyone for the past and ongoing efforts on this page. Most important thing to me is that all of the valuable information contributed over the years remains easily accessible for years to come. In my personal opinion the message board atmosphere is changing rapidly over the last few years due to the "on demand" social media boards out there. I like many other folks have been active on various message boards over the last decade plus. Prior to that I guess it was the old yahoo sub groups. I had come accustomed to using message boards as a technical resource and like minded community hangout. It's the later part that I thing is quickly making a move over to Facebook message boards. I am personally guilty of spending more time on Facebook for the day to day group chatter and only coming to the message board for technical discussions.
jwray76
Loyal P'up

Have thanks: 5 times

Postby AG_Admin » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:29 pm

The owning part is a company. The operating part of the site is still split with us making sure the lights stay on and Tad plus the other team members keeping the spirit maintained. I am not interested in meddling with how you manage things here only interested in making sure you all talk still talk about your vehicles, post photos, buy/sell etc.
-Philip
AG_Admin
Drives on Pavement

Postby steve mortillaro » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:12 pm

*********As long as the site isn't so overly bombarded with adverts that it crashes due to long running scripts (happens on many other auto sites I frequent for my other vehicles- namely Toyota and Ford sites) I'll be okay with it.*************
1986 Trooper II- My old beater- gone, but missed
1990 Trooper v6- Best vehicle I ever owned
1987 Toyota 4x4 pickup- Farm truck
2000 Ford E-250 xl- work van
steve mortillaro
Drives in Mud

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby AG_Admin » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:04 am

You are encouraged to keep me on notice if you find any issues with how the site is performing.
-Philip
AG_Admin
Drives on Pavement

Postby jerm1383 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:26 pm

I"m sure the more Philip is around the forum, the chances are we can talk him into getting a Zoo of his own :D

I don't post a whole bunch, but I have searched and read just about every tech/how-to and member's build thread in this forum, and I am eternally grateful of all that this place has to offer. It is because of this group/forum, that I refuse to give up my truck. Tad, thank you for all that you have done. Hopefully I will be able to see you out on the trail, and not just on the forum.
Don't take life so seriously, it isn't permanent.
If all else fails, give it more gas. It may not solve the problem, but it will end the anticipation.
1997 Acura SLX - OME 929's, Pro-comp shocks, 33x12.5-15
jerm1383
Drives in Mud

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby SurferJoe » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:00 am

I'm watching too.

I'm also sorry if this is posted in the wrong place or is offensive.
Joe Vreeland - In The Bitterroot Valley, Montana
SurferJoe
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 28 times

Postby squatch » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:32 pm

Just saw this. :shock:

Actually I'm not surprised. Most of the forums I'm on are small ones like this. Most have gone a similar route as owners get overwhelmed or move on to different interests. I'm kinda surprised Tad has been able to hold out as long as he has. My feeling has been that this site has been a burden on him for a while.

My big concern is not advertising but rather site policing over the long haul. I've been on a couple of other forums AG has bought and it didn't take long for certain policies to take hold. One was No Politics. Tad has always been tolerant of such talk here and over the years the site has been very good at self policing such topics and though they can occasionally get heated they rarely boil over. Too many corporate sites have clamped down on subjects that are not Politically correct or that the Corps feel uncomfortable with. Time will tell how that pans out.

The whole Isuzu scene is changing as time moves on. People get old and tired of wrenching. Parts sources are drying up for our limited aftermarket and for replacement parts. A lot depends on what we continue to do with our hobby.

Tad good luck as you move on! :D :occasion5: Hopefully you will still make the occasional GW or URE trip no matter what you are driving!

Phil, Welcome to the Zu! Hopefully AG will be true to your word.
These links have write-ups and pics of most anything you ever will do on a 2.6 Isuzu. Engine, brakes, suspension, interior, you name it! Enjoy!
Original '88 Trooper frame off build.
viewtopic.php?t=12172
The continuing Trooper project.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=43909
My '88 Spacecab build. In progress.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=56442
squatch
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 328 times

Postby JoeIsuzu » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:33 pm

squatch wrote:My big concern is not advertising but rather site policing over the long haul.

Generally speaking, this falls under the "moderator" role, not the "admin" role. Sometimes the roles are combined or shared, but they're now divided here.

I agreed to host (and admin) a site for another special interest group, under the condition that I do not have ANY responsibilities as a moderator. The moderators essentially shape the direction of the site, not the admin.

Jack
Original owner, 1983 Isuzu P'up LS Diesel. Engine overhauled by JLEMOND. Ready for new paint now!
1994 Isuzu Amigo 2wd
IsuzuPup.com
"There are no dumb questions"?! Maybe not...
but there are smart ways to ask. Old, but classic:
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
JoeIsuzu
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 78 times

Postby Hack » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:02 pm

Tad, just wanted to say that you have done a great job for over a decade. Like many others, I am surprised that you lasted this long after the arrival for your children. Hopefully, you will have time to meet up with us on one of the runs to GWNF or Uwharrie.

Philip, welcome to the Planet. Please don't take some of the comments personally. This forum has been more than a source of info for many of us. It has been the way we stay in touch with our extended (Isuzu) family and a way for many of us to harmlessly blow off steam. So it is not surprising that many have expressed some concerns.
Mario

Daily Driver: 1995 Trooper Limited, Auto, 3.2L DOHC, Rear LSD, HD Torsion Bars, Moog Cc812s, Cooper Discoverer A/T3 245/70-16
Trail Truck: 2001 Amigo, Auto, 3.2L, Rear LSD, Front Aussie Locker, DOR Drop Dif, HD Torsion Bars, OME 912s, BFG M/T KA2 33x10.5R15
RIP: 1988 Troop 2.6L 5spd. Burnt valve(s). Damaged frame. Parted out. Sent to crusher.
RIP: 1998 4WD Rodeo, Auto, 3.2L -- Ruined by Daughter #1 with Russian assistance. Parted out. Sent to crusher.
RIP: 1989 Troop 2.6L 5spd --- Stripped of all good parts. Body and rotted frame sent to the crusher.
RIP: 1999 2WD Amigo, Auto, 3.2L -- Engine blown and body damaged by Daughter #2. Parted out. Sent to crusher.
Hack
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 130 times

Postby SurferJoe » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:43 pm

Here! Here! for Tad!

Thanks Tad for all you've done for the forum and all the people who inhabit it's honeycomb of people who pop in - some like myself - who take longish leaves of absence.

There have been some antagonists but mostly some really nice people who want to truly help everyone else. It's been a good site in all the time I've seen or read even the dismissive ones taken into consideration too.

You even let me literally write short books here when I felt especially verbose. Thanks for that too.

It's all been very good. Thank-you for quietly watching and nudging when the wheels were starting to lose a lug nut or two.
Joe Vreeland - In The Bitterroot Valley, Montana
SurferJoe
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 28 times

Postby steve mortillaro » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:27 am

Just wanted to add thanks to Tad for all he has done and cheers to the new admin. Please try to keep the forum as it has been. I must admit, the other similar forums I visit in regard to my other vehicles are not nearly as well put together as this one. And, if I may say so- the posters here seem to be of a higher caliber- more intelligent, knowledgeable, affable, and above all *helpful*. Seems much more like a family here.
1986 Trooper II- My old beater- gone, but missed
1990 Trooper v6- Best vehicle I ever owned
1987 Toyota 4x4 pickup- Farm truck
2000 Ford E-250 xl- work van
steve mortillaro
Drives in Mud

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby AG_Admin » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:20 pm

jerm1383 wrote:I"m sure the more Philip is around the forum, the chances are we can talk him into getting a Zoo of his own :D

I don't post a whole bunch, but I have searched and read just about every tech/how-to and member's build thread in this forum, and I am eternally grateful of all that this place has to offer. It is because of this group/forum, that I refuse to give up my truck. Tad, thank you for all that you have done. Hopefully I will be able to see you out on the trail, and not just on the forum.

After I pay off a wedding and move out of my tiny apartment with no good parking the wife and I will be in the market for a new vehicle.
-Philip
AG_Admin
Drives on Pavement

Postby AG_Admin » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:24 pm

squatch wrote:Just saw this. :shock:
Actually I'm not surprised. Most of the forums I'm on are small ones like this. Most have gone a similar route as owners get overwhelmed or move on to different interests. I'm kinda surprised Tad has been able to hold out as long as he has. My feeling has been that this site has been a burden on him for a while.
My big concern is not advertising but rather site policing over the long haul. I've been on a couple of other forums AG has bought and it didn't take long for certain policies to take hold. One was No Politics. Tad has always been tolerant of such talk here and over the years the site has been very good at self policing such topics and though they can occasionally get heated they rarely boil over. Too many corporate sites have clamped down on subjects that are not Politically correct or that the Corps feel uncomfortable with. Time will tell how that pans out.
The whole Isuzu scene is changing as time moves on. People get old and tired of wrenching. Parts sources are drying up for our limited aftermarket and for replacement parts. A lot depends on what we continue to do with our hobby.
Tad good luck as you move on! :D :occasion5: Hopefully you will still make the occasional GW or URE trip no matter what you are driving!
Phil, Welcome to the Zu! Hopefully AG will be true to your word.

Tad's rules will stay the site rules. You can discuss politics all you like. On the rare occasion I have seen no political discussions enforced on a site it was due to existing moderators that no longer wanted to pick a side or spend all the time they have on the site policing the off topic. I love reading political discussions and on sites the company I work for does not own from time to time I partake in the debate. This is a largely self policed community and I trust that all healthy debates can and will continue here.
-Philip
AG_Admin
Drives on Pavement

Postby AG_Admin » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:25 pm

JoeIsuzu wrote:
squatch wrote:My big concern is not advertising but rather site policing over the long haul.

Generally speaking, this falls under the "moderator" role, not the "admin" role. Sometimes the roles are combined or shared, but they're now divided here.
I agreed to host (and admin) a site for another special interest group, under the condition that I do not have ANY responsibilities as a moderator. The moderators essentially shape the direction of the site, not the admin.
Jack

And Hats Off to all the very hard working mods on the team.
-Philip
AG_Admin
Drives on Pavement

Postby PhilD » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:44 pm

Thanks for all you've done, Tad! This site saved me countless hours of work on countless occasions. There'd probably be far fewer Isuzus on the road, if it weren't for planetisuzoo.com. Wish you the best!
PhilD
Drives in Mud

Postby archmckinnon » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:13 pm

Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future. -John F. Kennedy

Arch
Arch McKinnon

Somewhere West of North.

Song singer, Story teller, Slayer of Dragon's, killer of Time, Enemy of any Man who has a good Lookin Woman, Outdoorsman, and I like Chilli.

1989 Isuzu Trooper LS- Original Owner

1989 Isuzu Trooper RS- former Proud Owner- sold to a Great Home!

Voted October 2015 Ride of the Month
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=61211

We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time. T. S. Eliot
archmckinnon
Trail Master

Have thanks: 25 times

Postby Amaroq206 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:56 pm

Cool, but if this all falls through or anything, I would not mind taking over. I may not be the most mechanically competent or add much to the forum, but I am a web administrator (and that does include a good amount of experience with phpbb, as in, daily..)
1990 Trooper 2.8l V6 -- work in progress.
Amaroq206
Loyal P'up

Postby Cronk » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:03 am

Wow, I just saw this.

As long as this site's character remains the same, I'm fine with it. Welcome to the madness!
Cronk
Subscriber

Have thanks: 91 times

Postby Smiley » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:46 pm

Hello All -- and greetings from your long-lost, seemingly interminably absentee Forum Admin/Mod -- it's your old buddy, Smiley, finally back from the e-grave!

I am (obviously!) just now reading of this news (since, for quite some time, I've been unable to login to the site, due to assorted virus & hardware issues)...

(1) Congratulations, Tad, on your newfound spare time *(a commodity that I am quite certain was both needed and welcomed!)
(2) Being away for as long as I was, in returning, I see absolutely no noticeable differences in the site -- it's business as usual, as far as I can tell.
(3) Hello, Phillip! Looks like the ship is sailing-along and maintaining a good tack. Cheers to the (mostly) unseen man behind the curtain!
*(and when the time comes for that New Car Purchase, for heaven's sake, go buy a NEW CAR -- only when the time comes for that 'I want some-kind-of-a used, utilitarian/weekend get-away SUV' sort of purchase: *then* we'll try to steer you toward the Kool-Ade!) 8) :lol:
(4) Now that I am back from the Bermuda Triangle, I hope be participating again (perhaps not quite as much as in years past), and lending a hand now-and-then.

Cheers!
Smiley
^(...that loquacious/chatterbox 'E-ZooZoo guy') ;)

**(and would ya just look how much shorter my posts are, now that I've been marooned out in social media land for so long!) :P :lol:
"I don't know what you're painting that drive shaft for... It's not like anyone's ever gonna see it" ~ Joe Berry (BigPoppa) circa 2004
"Needs more Cow Bell!" :lol:

~ 1999 Isuzu VehiCROSS..... "The VX" ~ 912s | Indy4x HD Tie Rods [>SOLD<]
~ 1998 Acura SLX................ 'The Chariot of the Goddess' ~ bone stock
~ 1998 Isuzu Amigo S......... "Bruiser" ~ MUA5 | 3"+ 3" | 912s | Nitrochargers | 33x12.50s | Lockright [>SOLD<]
~ 1998 Isuzu Rodeo S......... "Old #6" ~ 912s | Bilstein 5100s (f) / Nitrochargers (r) | 32x11.50s | 3.07s | very nicely ARB'd, Indy4x'd, and DOR'd [>SOLD<]
~ 1997 Isuzu Rodeo S......... "THUD" ~ MUA5 | 3"+ 3" | 3.07s | OME HD Leaf Springs | MWM Rock Bars | Yellow 1-pc. Drive Shaft [> SOLD <]
~ 1995 Isuzu Trooper S....... "Heart of Gold" ~ MUA5 | 912s + 1" Spacer | 3.07s | 5.38s | 35x12.50s | ARB Bumper | Snorkel | Infinite Improbability Drive

ALL OF THEM for less than the cost of one brand new SUV.............................. PRICELESS!
Smiley
Forum Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Audio & Electronics