No Left turn signal, but flashers work. **FIXED**

Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Isuzu

Moderator: Staff

No Left turn signal, but flashers work. **FIXED**

Postby firstamigo » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:54 pm

Hope someone might have an idea an where to start looking. The right turn signal works as do the 4 way flashers. When I try the left turn signal the relay clicks a lot faster, like a burnt out bulb, but neither the front or rear flash. My first thought was it was the trailer wiring they had hooked up causing the problem, but removing it didn't change anything.
Last edited by firstamigo on Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
93 Amigo XS 4x4
32x11.5x15 Pro Comps
3" body lift
1 1/2" suspension lift
2.6L (stock for now)

90 Trooper LS
2.8L/Auto
firstamigo
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 1 time

Sponsor

Re: No Left turn signal, but flashers work.

Postby shooter » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:23 pm

I would try another flasher. The guts of a flasher can short in such a manner whereas one side might function while the other side doesn't. Make sure you get the flasher specific to the turn signals, not the hazards. If none of the above, the turn signal switch could be defective or only those contacts for the one side need cleaning.
1989 Isuzu Trooper S/ 4WD / 2.6 Litre 4 Cyl 4ZE1 Converted to Weber 32/36 Carb / 5-speed Manual (MUA5) / Warn Premium Hubs / Fancy Radio / Deluxe Intermittent Combination Wiper Switch

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints

Some people are like Slinkies; they are not good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
shooter
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 150 times

Postby firstamigo » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:47 pm

OK, turn signals are working again. Turns out it was a contact in the turn switch. Here's a little howto on what I did.

Disconnect the battery cable to prevent any thing unexpected. Remove the center portion of the steering wheel. There is one screw located on the back side center spoke. Remove that screw and the cover lift off and you will see this. Remove the pigtail connector for the horn.

Next is to remove the steering wheel with a puller. Before you pull the steering wheel mark the center shaft and steering wheel with a dot of paint or nail polish so that you can put the steering wheel back on in the same location.

After the steering wheel is off the next step is to remove the plastic cover on the column. It is held in place with 5 screws. Note that the 3 front screw are different than the 2 back screws.

Bottom of plastic cover with back screw holes located at the top -

Front screws -

Back screws -

Now remove the 3 screws holding the switch to the column -

Lift the switch up off the column and turn it over you will see a red circuit board held on with 4 small screws. Remove the screws and carefully roll the circuit board over. There is a small spring that is not held in place when you remove the board and it would be easy to lose.

The spring -

Where the spring goes -

The lines point to the contacts that were the cause of my turn signals not working. I cleaned them off with a small piece of emery cloth and tested that they worked. The small copper piece works like a teeter-toter and you can move it from contact to the other with a finger and verify the signals are working.

After I reassembled the turn signal I tested it to make sure it still worked.

Reassemble in reverse order of course. Pretty easy now that I have had this one apart. It took about 45 minutes because I missed one of the bottom screws and couldn't get the plastic cover off. Now that I have done it once it should take around a 1/2 hr.

Sorry for some of the poor quality pictures, wife is out of town with the good camera.
93 Amigo XS 4x4
32x11.5x15 Pro Comps
3" body lift
1 1/2" suspension lift
2.6L (stock for now)

90 Trooper LS
2.8L/Auto

For this post the author firstamigo was thanked by:
mrduane
firstamigo
Zu Royalty

Re: No Left turn signal, but flashers work. **FIXED**

Postby shooter » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:03 pm

Good job and very nice write up. I remember when I changed my over to intermiitent, that tiny spring launched, never to be found. Luckily, I had the one the other one.
1989 Isuzu Trooper S/ 4WD / 2.6 Litre 4 Cyl 4ZE1 Converted to Weber 32/36 Carb / 5-speed Manual (MUA5) / Warn Premium Hubs / Fancy Radio / Deluxe Intermittent Combination Wiper Switch

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints

Some people are like Slinkies; they are not good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
shooter
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 150 times

Postby firstamigo » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:40 pm

Thanks Shooter, the job turned out a lot easier than I expected. I've torn quite a few old GM and Fords apart and always hated it, especially ones with the tilt column. Real PIA.
93 Amigo XS 4x4
32x11.5x15 Pro Comps
3" body lift
1 1/2" suspension lift
2.6L (stock for now)

90 Trooper LS
2.8L/Auto
firstamigo
Zu Royalty

Postby twilson » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:26 pm

nice write up
-Tyler
02 Trooper Debagged, 5 Speed ,170k, New Engine/Clutch, Pressure Plate,
Throw Out Berring @ 77k & again at 147k - Rebuilt trans around 90k - LS wheels, Running Boards, CB Radio
MagnaFlow Catback Exaust, Piaa H3 Hid Fog lights, 20% Front 5% Rear Tint, Black Gloss Painted LS Wheels, Glow Shift Volt Meter Pillar Gauge, Tinted Tail Lights, Alpine / Kenwood / Pioneer / Full Sound System, 1 12'' Kenwood sub, RAM Grille Guard , New Shocks / Tires
PICTURES
MY RIDE
twilson
Trail Master

Have thanks: 9 times

Postby Selahdoor » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:34 pm

Good job !

Extra points for the good write up, and for not just throwing new parts at it.
-Jeff
1988 Trooper LS. 4ZE1. mua5.

How can I help you or make you laugh today?
Selahdoor
Forum Admin

Have thanks: 165 times

Postby captkai » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:08 am

Thanks everyone. I found that my hazard light switch is the problem with my turn signals. But by fiddling with the hazard switch I can get the turn signals to work. Someday I'll take the steering wheel off and fix three hazard switch!
1990 Extended Cab Isuzu Pickup, 2.6 L 4ZE1; 5 speed 4WD
1994 Isuzu Trooper 3.2 L SOHC automatic
captkai
Drives on Gravel

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby QuantumRift » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:45 pm

The contacts in my hazard switch are problematic. When I engage the hazards sometimes all 4 flash, sometimes only the right two. I work the switch back and forth a few times and they work for a while. If I need it, I just engage the left turn signal and with the goofy hazard switch, all 4 flash. But I too need to dismantle and clean the hazard switch. :cry:
"If Opportunity knocks and he's not at home, Opportunity waits."
"Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't do that thing."

1990 Isuzu LS SpaceCab 4x4 (Japanese-built, September 1989)
224,000 miles.
K&N Air Filter
2.6 L 4ZE1 engine, 5-spd manual
Monroe Sensa-track Load Adjusting Shocks (rear)
Monroe OE Spectrum Shocks (front)
MagnaFlow Muffler & Cat Converter
Akebono ProACT Ultra-Premium Ceramic Brake Pads (front)
Wagner Thermoquiet Ceramic Brake Pads (rear)
Owned since 15 miles. Bought new Honolulu, HI in Oct '89.
Original sticker price: $15,000.
QuantumRift
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 99 times

Postby bobbyhung1 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:57 pm

Thanks for the write up. My front passenger signal hasn't worked in a while until I read this. Took all of 1 hour to fix it, thanks to your information.
Nice work, I appreciate it.
bobbyhung1
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby captkai » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:51 am

I finally took my steering wheel off and took apart the switch. I sprayed electrical cleaner on the dirty contacts and managed to get it back together. Almost lost the ball bering that is part of the hazard switch, and the plastic post that pushes the turn signal switch but.....If you are having issues with the turn/hazard lights look into cleaning up those contacts.
captkai
Drives on Gravel

Postby jakthoreau » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:11 pm

great write up. can you do this without a steering wheel remover? I know it's a long shot
jakthoreau
Drives on Pavement

Postby captkai » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:38 am

From what I recall, the steering wheel has to be removed to get the top half of the trim around the steering wheel off. Once that piece is off that switch is easy to get at and remove. Removing the steering wheel isn't as scary as it might seem; I remember I was "scared"; but it sure was nice to have it fixed! Do pay attention to the switch disassembly though, small parts!
captkai
Drives on Gravel

Postby Jay » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:06 pm

Excellent write up. Pictures and everything!
Jay

firstamigo wrote:OK, turn signals are working again. Turns out it was a contact in the turn switch. Here's a little howto on what I did.

Disconnect the battery cable to prevent any thing unexpected. Remove the center portion of the steering wheel. There is one screw located on the back side center spoke. Remove that screw and the cover lift off and you will see this. Remove the pigtail connector for the horn.

Next is to remove the steering wheel with a puller. Before you pull the steering wheel mark the center shaft and steering wheel with a dot of paint or nail polish so that you can put the steering wheel back on in the same location.

After the steering wheel is off the next step is to remove the plastic cover on the column. It is held in place with 5 screws. Note that the 3 front screw are different than the 2 back screws.

Bottom of plastic cover with back screw holes located at the top -

Front screws -

Back screws -

Now remove the 3 screws holding the switch to the column -

Lift the switch up off the column and turn it over you will see a red circuit board held on with 4 small screws. Remove the screws and carefully roll the circuit board over. There is a small spring that is not held in place when you remove the board and it would be easy to lose.

The spring -

Where the spring goes -

The lines point to the contacts that were the cause of my turn signals not working. I cleaned them off with a small piece of emery cloth and tested that they worked. The small copper piece works like a teeter-toter and you can move it from contact to the other with a finger and verify the signals are working.

After I reassembled the turn signal I tested it to make sure it still worked.

Reassemble in reverse order of course. Pretty easy now that I have had this one apart. It took about 45 minutes because I missed one of the bottom screws and couldn't get the plastic cover off. Now that I have done it once it should take around a 1/2 hr.

Sorry for some of the poor quality pictures, wife is out of town with the good camera.
1989 RS White, 2.6 4ZE1, 5 speed, AMC head, auto trans radiator.
My RS: http://tinyurl.com/3e5w5b8
Jay
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 15 times

Postby TacoSupremez » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:56 pm

jakthoreau wrote:great write up. can you do this without a steering wheel remover? I know it's a long shot

I suppose you could, but they can be had for cheap.
1996 Trooper SE / Fully Loaded
TacoSupremez
Drives on Dirt

Have thanks: 3 times

Postby tirpakma » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:38 pm

Hey gang

Had identical symptoms with a 1992 isuzu pickup (factory no power steering); the left turn signal went out recently A handy friend helped clean the switch contacts following these instructions (note that along with the springs there are are tiny ball bearings to watch out for) - thanks for the detailed steps. However he also found that the turn signal has two sets of contacts / two circuit boards where the contacts needed to be cleaned. We needed to clean the contacts on both circuit boards to get the left turn signal to finally work again. Unfortunately I didn't get a photo of the second set / board, but it seemed to be on the back side of the white box? Just a heads-up and potentially useful to clean the contacts on both circuit boards regardless o hopefully avoid having to disassemble the steering wheel again down the line.
tirpakma
Drives on Pavement

Postby RWH » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:18 am

I know this post is more than 5 years old, but this have helped fix my turn signal problem. Thank you "firstamigo"
92 LS Trooper, 3,2DOCH, no mods, yet...

"Be so good they can't ignore you"...
RWH
Drives on Pavement

Postby Truehilbilly » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:52 am

My problem is slightly different. Left side turn signals and 4 way flashers all work fine. But right side i hear the flasher tick but nothing outside or on the dash. This is a 1990 amigo. 2.6 4x4 and im dying to get my baby back on the road. Any help is greatly appreciated
Truehilbilly
Drives on Pavement

Return to Audio & Electronics