99 Rodeo how to disable factory alarm

Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Isuzu

Moderator: Staff

Re: 99 Rodeo how to disable factory alarm

Postby MD2112 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:17 pm

I also would like to request a PM. My 99 Amigo's alarm honks about 50% of the time when I open the door with the key. My neighbors are starting to hate me & I've only had it for a few days. Thanks in advance!
'99 Amigo S, 150k, Red, 3.2 V6 2WD Auto
'89 Amigo XS, 196k, Red, 2.6 4X4 5-spd - Deceased
MD2112
Drives in Mud

Have thanks: 0 time

Sponsor

Postby jake1000 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:50 pm

I think I figured it out. Someone who mentioned the hood switch had it right.
I have a 98 Isuzu Rodeo and the factory alarm had been randomly been going off for no reason at
no particular time or event. So, at first I did it the lazy way and removed the horn fuse. I did this for years
because I thought there was no hope.

I finally decided to get an aftermarket alarm and have it installed by professionals. I told the guy that I wanted the factory alarm disconnected because it was messed up....he said ok. I got it installed, went home and put the horn fuse back. About two hours later the damn factory alarm went on for no reason again. I thought it was disconnected.
I took it back to the guy (these are well known pros). He said you cant disable some factory alarms becuase they are tied to the computer. He bypassed the hood switch somehow so the factory alarm would think the car was always open, hence it would never activate. Someone posted that this was how he fixed it. I dont know how.

After this, I decided to see my mechanic friend who has a program called ALLDATA that all the mechanics use and it contains all the stuff about cars and their factory recalls, problems etc.

Below is what was under a Technical service bulletin concerning the alarm:

________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Antitheft and Alarm Systems: All Technical Service Bulletins Antitheft - Alarm Sounds Intermit., Dome Lamp Flickers
SOURCE: Isuzu Service News
TITLE: Alarm Sounds Intermittently Or The Dome Light Flickers While Driving
APPLIES TO: 98-99 Rodeo/Amigo
SERVICE TIP:

Complaint:
Alarm sounds intermittently after sitting or the dome light flickers while driving when the dome lamp is in the door position.

Correction:
May be due to misadjusted hood switch or wrong / misadjusted door or tailgate switch.

1.If the dome light flickers while driving check the door and tailgate switches for full plunger depression when the door and tailgate are closed. Add a flat washer to shim out the switch slightly.

2.If alarm sounds by itself after sitting awhile then adjust the hood switches by adjusting the bracket.

Note: The anti-theft controller has not been found to cause the above conditions. The anti-theft controller should not be confused with the alarm and relay controller, which is embossed with 'Alarm ECU' and is located next to the anti-theft controller.

______________________________________________________________________________________

So you can either bypass the hood switch or adjust the bracket like the bulletin says. I dont know how to do either but I am sticking with the bypass way.
Maybe you can test the theory by tapping on the hood around the hoodswitches.....maybe, maybe not
Hope this helps someone. I dealt with it for years!

Jacob
jake1000
Drives on Pavement

PM please

Postby daddydg » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:41 pm

I, too would like a PM with the info no how to disable the alarm. Our 1998 Rodeo fatory alarm started going off last night and would not turn off when we turned the key.

Thanks.
daddydg
Drives on Pavement

Postby jagolas » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:19 pm

I also need a pm with how to disable the alarm.
I have unplugged the hood switch, the horn fuse and the anti-theft fuse.
The alarm still randomly goes off and even starts acting up while driving.
jagolas
Drives on Pavement

Postby mraley22 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:30 pm

can someone pm me as well i need to disable this too thank you
mraley22
Drives on Pavement

Postby sapdba » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:26 pm

If someone could PM me the information on how to disable the alarm, I would greatly appreciate it. I have a 1998 Rodeo and the alarm is causing problems. I have no need to keep it working at all.

Thanks in advance.
sapdba
Drives on Pavement

Postby hotrod1985 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:29 am

If i could also request a pm on how to disable the factory alarm it would be greatly appreciated.

I just picked up a 99 rodeo and much to my suprise it went off at 3am.

For now i have just disconnected the battery but i would like to fix this permanently.

Thanks in advance.
hotrod1985
Drives on Pavement

Postby flyinhawaiian968 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:59 pm

I'd also like that info if possible. I disconnected the alarm horn 2 years ago and disabled it with the wire in the driver's kick panel, but in the past couple of weeks I've been getting the flashing parking lights while driving! Not all the time, just once in a while it will do this, and the only way I know its happening is if I have the radio off and can hear the clicking of the relay!!! I find that if I open the driver's door and close it, the alarm resets itself, but sometimes it comes right back on!

Help! Its makin' me crazy!!!

Thanks folks!
flyinhawaiian968
Drives on Pavement

Postby DebiT » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:28 am

I would very much appreciate a PM on how to disable the alarm. It was going off at all hours, and finally my husband disabled the horn which helped. But that has been freaking me out safetywise, so tonight he hooked the horn back up. We found a loose back door switch, so maybe it won't happen again, but if it does, I want to be ready. Thanks so much!
DebiT
Drives on Pavement

Postby babble » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:01 pm

If there is anyone still around with this information I would like a PM on how to disable it as well. Purchased the Amigo a couple years ago and never had a key remote for it and didn't even realize it had an alarm unit until it started going off in the early mornings a couple months ago. Thanks.
babble
Drives on Pavement

Postby Frompkin » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:46 pm

99 Isuzu Rodeo LS V6 4wd

I'm hoping this thread is still active, I too need an easy fix to disable to factory alarm. In my car, it goes off unless you do the "unlock everything" from the drivers door - unlocking the other doors manually or using the key will not disable the alarm. Unlocking the rear glass will disable it as well.

I'm wondering if this is related to the fact I don't currently have a stereo.

In any case, if someone could PM me with the instructions I would be grateful!
Frompkin
Drives on Pavement

Postby star22jay » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:50 am

I do not agree with this PM business instead of posting it to the whole member/owner community. Instead of being able to look up what the solution is I have to wait around for the only person on the whole internet to PM me and let me know how to fix this nightmare! Please take your time while my alarm is going off at 2am or better yet its now 6am and I have to go to work but my car won't start because the alarm is still freaking out.
This should have been a recall, this is a complete nightmare and a total FAIL on the part of HONDA and ISUZU.

So I found the three culprits which can be manipulated to turn off the alarm. I wanted to share and discuss as I wait for one of the Almighty to PM me their potential solution.

1. There is a switch under the hood on the passenger's side. (switch #1)
2. This switch is also physically on the same metal plate with the alarm horn/siren.
3. The driver-side door switch (the one on between the door and the car, the switch that tells the car when the door is open, get it?) (switch #3)

I noticed that if the car door is open, then the alarm will not go off. In my case I was suggested to remove the fuse so that no interior lights turn on and then just leave the car door partially open (so it does not trigger the car door switch) and then the alarm will not go off in the middle of the night. OMG!!! Is this really a solution!?

So what I thought I would do was to disconnect the door switch (#3), to my surprise (i am not a car guy at all) when I disconnected the door switch the car thought the door was no always closed. Instead I need the car to think the door is always open. So this alone did not work. I also don't really want the car to think the door is always open because then I can NEVER use my interior lights properly.

I then started to tinker with the switch (#1) under the hood. To my surprise when the hood was open, the alarm would not go off (at least in my experience, who knows what it will do tomorrow). I figured I would just disconnect the switch (#1) under the hood and just leave it disconnected. When I disconnected the switch the system too thought that the hood was now closed thus the alarm would go off.

So here is where the idea comes in....

Option 1: What if I remove the switch from the matel braket and just hide the switch inside the engine compartment, this way the system thinks the hood is always open?
Option 2: Cross the writes from switch #3 together and then the system also thinks the hood is always open?

Questions:
1. Will this work?
2. Is having the car think the hood is open a problem? is there something else hidden which I do not know about?

Cheers gang
Mike

For this post the author star22jay was thanked by:
Frompkin
star22jay
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby star22jay » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:58 am

(I already got some great feed back about this post, thanks!)

recap:
1. There is a switch under the hood on the passenger's side. (switch #1)
2. This switch is also physically on the same metal plate with the alarm horn/siren.
3. The driver-side door switch (the one on between the door and the car, the switch that tells the car when the door is open, get it?) (switch #3)

update:
I was able to disconnect the hood sensor (switch #1) and once I had it disconnected I was able to remove it from the braket.
In my case the switch was still functioning and in good working order, this is important because if the switch is borken or malfunctioning then it might always think the hood is closed this is the same if you just disconnect the switch and in our case its bad.

Once I remove the sensor (switch #1) from the braket i reconnected it back up with the original wires/connection (whatever) and I taped it to the braket. WHY?
Well this is not the most elegant thing in the world but the sensor and the car now thinks the hood is always open.
This was the first time in 3 years I was able to close the door and not have the alarm go off in the middle of the night.
This is the fastest, cheapest solution I have found to deal with this issue. There is one assumption to all this and thats that all of your switches, hood, door, etc are working as they should.

If you need further assistance PM me. Today is Frida Feb 15th 2013 and to this day I have not found ONE single solution online for Honda or Isuzu on how to deal with this HORRIBLE issue.
If I feel like it I might post pictures later.

Cheers Mates
Mike
star22jay
Drives on Pavement

Postby star22jay » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:34 pm

Due to the positive feedback I have received I felt compelled to post pictures and a tad more instruction.

This might be over kill of pictures but this is in case someone finds the instructions and the thread goes dead.

There are Green arrows to show you what you are looking for.

1. Picture of the front of the engine so you know were to find the under the hood sensor/switch (switch #1) http://imgur.com/gjw2BRm

2. Closer look of the front of the car so you know what you are looking for. By the way this is the picture of mine after I already re positioned it so yours will look different, yours will be sticking upward. http://imgur.com/gjw2BRm

3. This is the closeup of the sensor/switch.
A. The blue arrow shows the clip you need to press to disconnect the wires from the switch, do NOT pull on the wire, press the white-clip and gently pull on the white connection to disconnect it from the black switch. If you pull on the wires and BREAK this part the system will think the hood is always closed, this defeats the purpose of our entire setup.
B. The green arrows show the clips you will need to press to remove the switch from the bracket. Disconect the white wire connection from the black switch first. http://imgur.com/P8a00Y1

4 closer look at the white clip http://imgur.com/pyeg75O

5. Just in case you want to see how the bracket is mounted http://imgur.com/zCuMEi1

If you are reading this and wondering why we did not just cut the wire and cross/short the two wires instead of going through this nonsense its because I personally decided not to damage the system, just incase at some point I sell the car and someone actually knows what they are down wants to fix the system. Also if you cut the wire and cross them its going to be a lot harder to reverse the outcome in case you need to.
star22jay
Drives on Pavement

Postby red93 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:07 pm

Can some one PM me wiyh the info. My 98 will not start because of the security system disabling the starter
red93
Drives on Pavement

Postby TrooperRD » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:39 am

Is this PM still available?? I am having issues on my 94 Trooper, thanks!
TrooperRD
Drives on Pavement

Postby WannaB1 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:47 pm

so is hood switch or "secret PM" best solution to this alarm?

THanks
WannaB1
Drives on Pavement

Postby acrodeo » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:27 pm

I would like to have the wiring diagram and PM solution to disable the factory alarm for an 1998 Isuzu Rodeo
Thank You in advance.
acrodeo
Drives on Pavement

Postby Frompkin » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:48 pm

Bad news, it appears that anyone who had the information is no longer making it available.
Frompkin
Drives on Pavement

Postby Dae » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:49 pm

Well the gist of the whole PM thing is because of how easy it is to disable.

But I notice these vehicles are old and having electrical alarm gremlins is bound to pop up. And cause more issues for people that actually need help.
...And most of this stuff can be found online anyway if you do a bit of reading around.

All I will say is remove the alarm electrical connector from the module... ground the fuel pump relay wire on that electrical connector = no more alarm.

Do so at your own risk!!
"My Isuzu has crossed the Pacific Ocean!... twice!!"

2001 Isuzu Rodeo LS :: 3.2L V6 Auto 4L30E >> clicky for pics <<
Kenwood KDC-X493 deck and speakers all around :: 10" Infinity sub, ported 300 watts RMS bridged
OME 913's :: Monroe Sensatracs + 2" Lift :: Firestone Destination All-Terrain LT245/75R16 + 1" extra
Indy4x brake lines :: Poly swaybar bushings :: Flowmaster 50 Series SUV :: Detroit Truetrac helical LSD

For this post the author Dae was thanked by:
Frompkin
Dae
Donor

Have thanks: 27 times

Postby Biblethumpncop » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:51 pm

My 95 Trooper's alarm is being a punk. I removed the switch from the bracket, but kept it plugged in. I'll report back on if it worked.
Biblethumpncop
Drives on Dirt

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby Biblethumpncop » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:19 pm

Biblethumpncop wrote:My 95 Trooper's alarm is being a punk. I removed the switch from the bracket, but kept it plugged in. I'll report back on if it worked.

Nope! Now what? I'll try grounding the switch since it was removed from the bracket. I'll report back...
Biblethumpncop
Drives on Dirt

Postby Biblethumpncop » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:57 am

Biblethumpncop wrote:
Biblethumpncop wrote:My 95 Trooper's alarm is being a punk. I removed the switch from the bracket, but kept it plugged in. I'll report back on if it worked.

Nope! Now what? I'll try grounding the switch since it was removed from the bracket. I'll report back...

I tried to ground the switch and the old thing broke! Argggggg!!!!!

So, I wired in a toggle switch and tucked in away near the bracket. The alarm doesn't go off now. I can't use my remote to lock the doors, but the electric lock button on the door works. The remote does unlock the door though. Fine by me!
Biblethumpncop
Drives on Dirt

Postby ceharris01 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:09 am

Could someone please PM me the solution to disable the alarm? My alarm continues to go off randomly early in the morning. Thank you very much in advance!
ceharris01
Drives on Pavement

Postby LabsTrooper » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:01 pm

Hello

Could someone pm me the alarm disable steps.

Woke up this morning to a 99trooper that won't start. It has a aftermarket alarm. I tried all the switches all around but nothing worked. Please help.

Thanks
LabsTrooper
Drives on Pavement

PreviousNext

Return to Audio & Electronics