90 Trooper-White Charging Cable between BAT & ALTERNATOR

Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Isuzu

Moderator: Staff

90 Trooper-White Charging Cable between BAT & ALTERNATOR

Postby troopdiver » Mon May 08, 2017 5:09 pm

1990 Isuzu Trooper LS 2.8L V6

"hello"

Can anyone verify if the thick (#8 or #10) white cable connected between the battery and the back of the alternator is the charging cable?

Also, being that this cable disappears into the tightly wound harness (so I don't have to rip it open, ha!),
does this cable connect to or energize any other circuit between the alternator and battery?

The existing cable is seriously corroded and oxidized on the battery side and I am thinking about running a new dedicated cable in between the alternator and battery.

NOTE: There appears to be a couple of black quick disconnects in between the battery and alternator.

Please advise, thanks!
Last edited by troopdiver on Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
troopdiver
Drives on Dirt

Have thanks: 2 times

Sponsor

Re: 90 trooper-White Charging Cable between BAT & ALTERNATOR

Postby Ed Mc. » Mon May 08, 2017 6:07 pm

Here's a starter circuit diagram for the V6, it also shows the alternator connections. You'll note that the main wire coming off the alternator connects downstream of the fusible link "A", such that there's overcurrent protection.

If you should run a wire from the alt directly to the battery, be sure you use a fused wire (or fuse) of sufficient rating (at least the same value as the fusible link).

HTH.........ed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'90 3.4 Troop LS;
'89 Troop RS (Exhaust Valve Challenged), now gone to a Good Home!
Yes, I am a Trooper-Holic!!!
Keep On Troopin' !
Ed Mc.
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 211 times

Postby troopdiver » Tue May 09, 2017 6:23 pm

Ed, thanks for all of the info and help.
I thought there might be something unknown, buried inside of the harness somewhere.
After a thorough cleaning/brushing with white vinegar and inspection, the existing cable did not appear so corroded and destroyed.
I brushed the copper to a clean shine, trimmed the end of the copper cable to fit a new eyelet connector, soldered the wire into the end of the new eyelet connector, heat shrinked all of the exposed areas and reconnected it to the battery terminal.
Thanks for all of your help. The diagram is very appreciated. The correct diagrams can sometimes hard to find amongst the plethora of information out on the web. I will keep the electrical diagram for future use.
Your help is always appreciated because of the condition I found this Trooper in. It needs a lot of work! $$$ ha!
troopdiver
Drives on Dirt

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby Ed Mc. » Tue May 09, 2017 10:47 pm

Glad you were able to get 'er going without a lot of surgery. Sometimes just a cleanup/dressup and minor wire repairs are all that's needed. Soldering the electrical connection is good practice and maked for a low-resistance, long-lasting joint.

Needing work is just part of the fun, just think how you'll enjoy your Trooper when she's all done. And it beats making car payments!!! :twisted:

Cheers...........ed
'90 3.4 Troop LS;
'89 Troop RS (Exhaust Valve Challenged), now gone to a Good Home!
Yes, I am a Trooper-Holic!!!
Keep On Troopin' !
Ed Mc.
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 211 times

Postby batvette » Sun May 28, 2017 1:55 pm

When I put a high output alternator in my (early 95 v6) Rodeo I bypassed that white wire with its output and went straight to the battery with 4 gauge. (Since I have a second battery now it goes to a solonoid on the fender)
While a fuse or fusible link is always a good idea its also often not used in such cases when the wire run is so short if the potential for additional resistance is significant. I think 18" max from the battery was the rule when I was doing cat audio competitions, anything longer needs a fuse.
Low voltage DC is kind of funny about resistance in a circuit with high current, I remember once thinking I could just solder splice a new section onto the wire to my Corvettes starter when the battery end got corroded due to a split battery case. The additional ~1ohm resistance was enough to make the starter unable to crank.
1995 Passport V-6 2wd 5spd.
Solar powered ventilation & sound system w/custom kickpods and 15's:
http://s353.beta.photobucket.com/user/batvette/library/passportstereo

For this post the author batvette was thanked by:
troopdiver
batvette
Trail Master

Have thanks: 17 times

Return to Audio & Electronics