4x4 stuck along with other dash lights

Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Isuzu

Moderator: Staff

4x4 stuck along with other dash lights

Postby Carl747 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:38 pm

On Saturday(4 days ago) I took my Trooper through large puddles on Monday(1 day ago) I ran one quick errand and I did not notice any dash lights(apart from ABS which has been on for 6 years). However today I made a quick trip to the shops and on the way back I noticed that the 'Battery'(the battery is less than 6 months old) and 'Brakes' check engine lights were on along with the 4x4 engaged light. However, I know that I had not engaged my 4x4 in about a month. I took it to a spot where my rear tires were on a loose dirt surface a the front tires were on asphalt, I hammered the gas and instead of my back tires spinning as they normally would the Trooper lurched forward confirming that the front tires were engaged even though the '4WD' button was in the disengaged position.

I am assuming that the water probably caused a problem in the electrical system that is causing this to happen. Is there any way to confirm my suspicions, if so how?
If there are any quick fixes please let me know the solution.
Last edited by Carl747 on Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
98 Trooper S. 230k miles, Dark Blue.
User avatar
Carl747
Drives on Gravel
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:44 pm
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Has thanked: 4 times
Have thanks: 2 times

Sponsor
 

Re: 4x4 stuck along with other dash lights

Postby Buster28 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:45 am

If the Brake Warning lamp and the Battery Icon lamp and the 4WD engaged lamp all are illuminated at the same time it is an indication that the Alternator is not working correctly.

In addition to their normal function, the Brake Warning lamp and 4WD engaged lamp are connected to terminal L of the Alternator (Voltage Regulator) through isolation diodes. Therefore, if the Alternator quits working the voltage on terminal L drops to less than 12 Vdc causing the Brake Warning lamp and the 4WD engaged lamp to illuminate in addition to The Battery Icon lamp which is actually the charge warning indicator lamp.

Bottom line is the water caused your Alternator to short out.
click on image to expand.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
02 Rodeo Sport 4X4 3.2L V6
01 Rodeo Sport 4X4 3.2L V6
User avatar
Buster28
4L30E Guru
 
Posts: 7543
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:28 pm
Location: RI
Has thanked: 6 times
Have thanks: 874 times

Re: 4x4 stuck along with other dash lights

Postby Carl747 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:25 am

Ok, thanks a lot. Would the best solution be to replace the alternator, of is this fixable with relatively low skill?
98 Trooper S. 230k miles, Dark Blue.
User avatar
Carl747
Drives on Gravel
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:44 pm
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Has thanked: 4 times
Have thanks: 2 times

Re: 4x4 stuck along with other dash lights

Postby Carl747 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:18 pm

Well nevermind the lights went away after 1 min of driving this morning, it's back in 2WD (I checked (: ). Is there still anything I need to worry about, like getting the alternator checked?
98 Trooper S. 230k miles, Dark Blue.
User avatar
Carl747
Drives on Gravel
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:44 pm
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Has thanked: 4 times
Have thanks: 2 times

Re: 4x4 stuck along with other dash lights

Postby Buster28 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:56 pm

Carl747 wrote:Well nevermind the lights went away after 1 min of driving this morning, it's back in 2WD (I checked (: ). Is there still anything I need to worry about, like getting the alternator checked?

The only thing that can be checked without tearing it apart is that it is working and you already know that it is.
02 Rodeo Sport 4X4 3.2L V6
01 Rodeo Sport 4X4 3.2L V6
User avatar
Buster28
4L30E Guru
 
Posts: 7543
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:28 pm
Location: RI
Has thanked: 6 times
Have thanks: 874 times

Re: 4x4 stuck along with other dash lights

Postby zuoverlander » Fri May 12, 2017 11:34 am

Hey Carl, I noticed you said your ABS light has been on for 6 yrs. The same light on My '02 trooper started coming on sporatically about 2 months ago, and then stayed on 2 weeks later. Have you done any research on this? I tried to get it checked this week and the mechanic shop said their diagnostic equipment could not retrieve the code.
zuoverlander
Drives on Pavement
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:05 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 0 time

Re: 4x4 stuck along with other dash lights

Postby Carl747 » Fri May 12, 2017 12:39 pm

My father did some research when it initially occurred. What he found is that is that it would have to take it to an Isuzu dealership and have them order a new system, which was not worth it at that point. It would have cost too much and taken too long. Within the last year I have had several mechanics and auto zone shops read the code and there has never been anything about abs show up there. So I guess that the light is more of a 'replace me now light' and not a 'find out what part is wrong with the abs system and fix it light'. My abs system still works most of the time. I just have to be really cautious when breaking hard, as that is the only time I have ever had any problems with it. It has only had problems twice, both where under really hard braking and the front wheels completely locked up and where sliding for about 4 seconds. Both times it was on completely dry and there was no loose material on the road.
98 Trooper S. 230k miles, Dark Blue.
User avatar
Carl747
Drives on Gravel
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:44 pm
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Has thanked: 4 times
Have thanks: 2 times

Re: 4x4 stuck along with other dash lights

Postby Buster28 » Fri May 12, 2017 12:49 pm

Carl747 wrote:My father did some research when it initially occurred. What he found is that is that it would have to take it to an Isuzu dealership and have them order a new system, which was not worth it at that point. It would have cost too much and taken too long. Within the last year I have had several mechanics and auto zone shops read the code and there has never been anything about abs show up there. So I guess that the light is more of a 'replace me now light' and not a 'find out what part is wrong with the abs system and fix it light'. My abs system still works most of the time. I just have to be really cautious when breaking hard, as that is the only time I have ever had any problems with it. It has only had problems twice, both where under really hard braking and the front wheels completely locked up and where sliding for about 4 seconds. Both times it was on completely dry and there was no loose material on the road.

If the ABS Warning Lamp is illuminated the ABS is inoperative.
The only scan tool I am aware of that can read Trooper ABS failure codes is a big buck GM Tech II.
It is possible to read out the stored failure codes using the built in flash code method. The only thing required is a paper clip.
02 Rodeo Sport 4X4 3.2L V6
01 Rodeo Sport 4X4 3.2L V6
User avatar
Buster28
4L30E Guru
 
Posts: 7543
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:28 pm
Location: RI
Has thanked: 6 times
Have thanks: 874 times

Re: 4x4 stuck along with other dash lights

Postby Carl747 » Fri May 12, 2017 12:58 pm

When braking at low speed I can feel the abs system kicking in, or at least trying to. I have slammed on my brakes on loose surfaces at speed and had very little sliding. It is evident that it does work, even if it is not supposed to.
98 Trooper S. 230k miles, Dark Blue.
User avatar
Carl747
Drives on Gravel
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:44 pm
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Has thanked: 4 times
Have thanks: 2 times

Re: 4x4 stuck along with other dash lights

Postby zuoverlander » Fri May 12, 2017 1:46 pm

Ok. The mechanic that tried to retrieve the codes may have encountered that. maybe the system needs to be replaced. No sure of the cost, but don't want to pay a fortune either. I talked to guys at work and one guy had a light come on, on a different make of vehicle and it was that a wire broke going to a tire sensor. maybe an inspection is in order. I could try retrieveing codes a Buster suggested but wher would I locate the list of code definitions?
zuoverlander
Drives on Pavement
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:05 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 0 time

Re: 4x4 stuck along with other dash lights

Postby Buster28 » Fri May 12, 2017 3:53 pm

zuoverlander wrote:Ok. The mechanic that tried to retrieve the codes may have encountered that. maybe the system needs to be replaced. No sure of the cost, but don't want to pay a fortune either. I talked to guys at work and one guy had a light come on, on a different make of vehicle and it was that a wire broke going to a tire sensor. maybe an inspection is in order. I could try retrieveing codes a Buster suggested but wher would I locate the list of code definitions?


Check out this thread : viewtopic.php?f=4&t=61260
02 Rodeo Sport 4X4 3.2L V6
01 Rodeo Sport 4X4 3.2L V6
User avatar
Buster28
4L30E Guru
 
Posts: 7543
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:28 pm
Location: RI
Has thanked: 6 times
Have thanks: 874 times

Re: 4x4 stuck along with other dash lights

Postby zuoverlander » Sat May 13, 2017 9:24 am

Thanks for the info Buster. I think looking for a replacement EHCU from a salvage yard may be my first attempt at repair. I am much less qualified than you guys and very new to Isuzu vehicles. I love my Trooper and with 121,000 miles, it's a little creme puff!! I'll try to get a pic on here some time soon. If I can't locate a module soon, I may deactivate the existing one just to at least clear the light while I search for it. Again, thanks for the help.
zuoverlander
Drives on Pavement
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:05 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 0 time


Return to Audio & Electronics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest