2000 Rodeo rear wiper gets stuck*SOLVED*with pictures

Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Isuzu

Moderator: Staff

2000 Rodeo rear wiper gets stuck*SOLVED*with pictures

Postby junkyardherbie » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:51 pm

I'm wondering if anyone has had a problem with the rear wiper getting stuck between where the rear glass and the gate meet on the second gen Rodeo. The wiper itself functions fine, just gets stuck in that gap after it"s turned off and wont work again until you manually pull it out. I worked for a Ford dealership for years and the fix was always to replace the wiper arm on their vehicle lines, bending or tweeking it never, ever worked but somehow replacement always did. I am thinking of securing a length of small diameter hose in the gap to keep it from dropping in but figured I'd check here first to see if anyone has had this problem and come up with a better solution?
Last edited by junkyardherbie on Wed May 03, 2017 1:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
junkyardherbie
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 2 times

Sponsor

Re: 2000 Rodeo rear wiper gets stuck

Postby junkyardherbie » Wed May 03, 2017 1:26 pm

I solved the rear wiper issue so I figured I'd post the repair I came up with in case anyone else runs in to the same problem...

I started with a length of washer hose measuring just a little over 1/4" OD-
thumbnail_WP_20170430_14_46_48_Pro.jpg

Cut a length of the hose approx. the same length as the rear wiper scuff pad on the tailgate, then cut a straight piece from a wire coat hanger the same length as the hose. I put a very small piece of heat shrink tubing on each end of the wire for a nice snug fit and to keep the hose ends from curling-
thumbnail_WP_20170430_15_07_16_Pro.jpg

Wire inserted into the hose, nice and straight-
thumbnail_WP_20170430_15_13_44_Pro.jpg

You can see where I'm going with this...
thumbnail_WP_20170430_15_14_13_Pro.jpg

I ran a nice even bead of clear silicone along the outside edge of the back glass weatherstrip with the glass open, closed the glass then put the hose in place. This is important to note because you don't want the hose to end up in the weatherstrip channel, it has to be out even with the back glass-
thumbnail_WP_20170430_15_22_53_Pro.jpg

MORE BELOW ---->>>
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
junkyardherbie
Drives on Pavement

Re: 2000 Rodeo rear wiper gets stuck

Postby junkyardherbie » Wed May 03, 2017 1:28 pm

Closer up to show placement. A little blue tape until the silicone dries-
thumbnail_WP_20170430_15_23_01_Pro.jpg

Installed a new wiper blade also. After the silicone cured 24 hours I peeled the tape off and the rear wiper works perfectly, no way for it to get stuck again, and these were things I already had on hand. The nice thing is that the hose blends right in and you cant even tell it's there, it doesn't interfere with the back glass closure either-
thumbnail_WP_20170430_15_31_55_Pro.jpg

Hope this helps somebody out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
junkyardherbie
Drives on Pavement

Return to Audio & Electronics