GM 4 note horns- no more meep meep 95 trooper

Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Isuzu

Moderator: Staff

GM 4 note horns- no more meep meep 95 trooper

Postby Ricky » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:49 pm

After dealing with the weak factory horns in traffic I decided it was time for a change. While at the local pick a part this weekend I pulled a set of 4 note horns from a 1977 Cadillac Deville. However these can be found on Buick, Olds, and Pontiacs up until the mid eighties. This mod is very easy to accomplish for those of you who want to do the same. On my 95 all I did was remove the grill, and bolted up the horns using the factory wiring. The two factory horns are located on the passenger side. One is right behind the grill, and the other is behind the pass side headlight. The one behind the headlight is easily accessed by laying on the ground and looking up. The cadillac horns came with brackets which bolt together in 2 pairs. The pic of the horns on my workbench is how they came off of the Caddy. I kept 2 of the horns mounted together just like when I pulled them off, and just bolted them down behind the pass side headlight. Using the same hole and bolt the Isuzu horn used. Now to mount the remaining 2 horns. I seperated them, and flattened bends out of the brackets. This allowed me to mount one of them in the same spot behind the grill the isuzu horn used to live. I then mounted the other using one of the bolt which holds the metal trim piece that is below the headlight. Here are a few pics of the install, and a youtube clip of that sweet caddy sound. https://youtu.be/bNogdrgjNYo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ricky
Drives in Mud

Have thanks: 4 times

Sponsor

Re: GM 4 note horns- no more meep meep 95 trooper

Postby RickP » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:17 pm

I've installed the 4 note horns on a couple other vehicles in the past and have a set to install on my Trooper, but haven't got around to it. They almost make you want to drive a Cadillac.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3e5BCE9zFI
RickP
Mud King

Have thanks: 42 times

Postby Ricky » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:47 pm

Years ago I purchased a 1977 eldorado biarritz from an estate sale. 60k orig miles, white exterior, white leather interior. I absolutely loved that car! It was like driving your couch down the freeway. I see it at some of the local car meets every so often. Is that your Eldo in the clip? Very clean!
Ricky
Drives in Mud

Have thanks: 4 times

Postby RickP » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:56 pm

Ricky wrote:Years ago I purchased a 1977 eldorado biarritz from an estate sale. 60k orig miles, white exterior, white leather interior. I absolutely loved that car! It was like driving your couch down the freeway. I see it at some of the local car meets every so often. Is that your Eldo in the clip? Very clean!

No definitely not mine. The only Cadillac I've ever driven was a 78 Eldorado. I was a valet parker in south Florida and Jackie Gleason pulled up in his sparkling Eldo and I had to move it a few feet.
RickP
Mud King

Have thanks: 42 times

Postby 6079smithw » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:25 am

Did the same thing to my newly-acquired 01 Rodeo. Stumbled across a '73 DeVille at the local Pick-n-Pull that still had the 3 horns. Sure gets the attention of the phone zombies when they step off the curb with their faces buried in the screen! I'd recommend using a relay to power these monsters; a friend of mine fried the contacts on her FIT with a set of Buick horns on the stock harness.
2001 Rodeo LS 4WD AT 164k Bone Stock 01-14-2017
1994 Trooper SE DOHC AT 145k
1987 Wrangler 2.5L 5-spd 87k All Original
2001 Saturn SL1 353k
1993 Saturn SL1 5-spd 227k Work car RIP
6079smithw
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Ed Mc. » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:01 am

Love the Doppler Effect on those Train Horns! They certainly get your attention.

Used to have a '79 Buick Riviera "S" which IIRC was built on the same platform as the White Eldo in the vid. Very smooth and quiet ride, for sure. Beautiful leather interior, too. The body fitment left a lot to be desired, though. The 231 c.i. Turbo V6 was pretty wild once it got up on boost, but it was a heavy car and one day I got off to a slow start & a Honda 1500 S blew me away before it built up enough boost to get going! :oops:

Cheers..............ed
'90 3.4 Troop LS;
'89 Troop RS (Exhaust Valve Challenged), now gone to a Good Home!
Yes, I am a Trooper-Holic!!!
Keep On Troopin' !
Ed Mc.
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 204 times

Postby fibersport » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:40 am

My son put Cadillac horns on his Trooper a few years ago, I suggested that he too use a relay just to be safe. Sure doesn't sound like you would think it shoulds when he blows the horn.

Cadillac had what they called an "Eldorado horn" back in the 60's that was actually a dealer option. In addition to the regular horns, this one had a long end bell which added yet another note. My dad had one on his Caddy that he forgot to remove when he bought another one so that horn is long gone, not sure if they even made anything like that now.
'98 Trooper 5 spd.
(burns oil, not rubber)
fibersport
Loyal P'up

Have thanks: 3 times

Postby Ed Mc. » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:57 pm

Here's an informative thread on Caddy horns:

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/i ... c=117928.0

Get this, the 1964 Eldo convertible had a horn with a 2-foot-long trumpet. Those were the days!
'90 3.4 Troop LS;
'89 Troop RS (Exhaust Valve Challenged), now gone to a Good Home!
Yes, I am a Trooper-Holic!!!
Keep On Troopin' !
Ed Mc.
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 204 times

Return to Audio & Electronics