defroster timer?

Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Isuzu

Moderator: Staff

defroster timer?

Postby fibersport » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:18 pm

I've noticed that the defroster switches, rear window and mirrors, don't shut off automatically. Every vehicle I've owned that had a working defroster also had an auto shut off. Is there a timer relay and if so where might I find it. This is on my '98 Trooper.
'98 Trooper 5 spd.
(burns oil, not rubber)
fibersport
Loyal P'up

Have thanks: 3 times

Sponsor

Re: defroster timer?

Postby fibersport » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:24 pm

Nobody can tell me if their defrosters turn off automatically?
'98 Trooper 5 spd.
(burns oil, not rubber)
fibersport
Loyal P'up

Postby Buster28 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:10 pm

The timer is in the Alarm and Relay control unit.
Click on image to expand.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
02 Rodeo Sport 4X4 3.2L V6
01 Rodeo Sport 4X4 3.2L V6
Buster28
4L30E Guru

Have thanks: 876 times

Postby Carl747 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:32 am

I've also got a 98 Trooper. I have not noticed any form of a time of either of the defrosting functions. I have found that the rear window defrost will turn off when the vehicle is turned off. The mirrors defrost will stay on until the button is pushed a second time, even if the Trooper has been turned on and off several times. The only way the mirror defrost can be turned off is by manually hitting the button again. From my experience, neither one of these functions drains much power. The only concern is to make sure that neither one is turned on when the temperature is warm outside to ensure nothing will overheat.
The mirror defrost button does have an orange indicator light to display that the function is active, so when the Trooper is turned on at night a quick glance down when shifting the Trooper into drive should be enough to check if the mirror defrost is turned on.
98 Trooper S. 230k miles, Dark Blue.
Carl747
Drives on Gravel

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby fibersport » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:34 pm

Thanks
'98 Trooper 5 spd.
(burns oil, not rubber)
fibersport
Loyal P'up

Postby fibersport » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:17 am

Both of your replies seem to be correct, according to Buster's diagram there is, however both Carl and I seem to have the same problem. Well I started browsing through the manual I downloaded and found that there is indeed a timer relay BUT it is factory set to turn off in 30 minutes! Every car I've had it shuts off in about 10 minutes. I'm going to turn them on today as I drive in to work and see if they shut off.
'98 Trooper 5 spd.
(burns oil, not rubber)
fibersport
Loyal P'up

Postby RickP » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:36 am

While not a 98, I noticed my button stays illuminated after the timer turns the rear defrost off. I have to manually turn it off to get the light to go off.
RickP
Mud King

Have thanks: 42 times

Postby fibersport » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:26 pm

Well I left them both on for my 45 minute drive to work today, sure enough the rear window defroster turned off in about 30 minutes or so however the heated mirrors stayed on. I should have known that as the switch stays "in" when you turn it on whereas the defroster switch returns to the same position. I then checked the owners manual like I should have done from the start, the heated mirror switch does in fact require it to be turned off manually.

RickP - are you sure it's turning off?
'98 Trooper 5 spd.
(burns oil, not rubber)
fibersport
Loyal P'up

Return to Audio & Electronics