Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Going back into shop, flexplate just replaced... Update!

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  cr4x4cruiser 
#1 ·
2000 Isuzu Amigo
137.000 miles
4L30E Transmission
3.2L V6
2WD

Sing it with me, "You can't always get what you want..."

Issue #1:
Starter was not always working correctly [not cranking when required, occasionally], so I had a rebuilt starter installed - which did have the correct alignment dowels intact.

Issue #2:
Started to hear a racket under the hood, days later... this would be the dreaded flexplate death rattle.
The mechanic removed the starter, and verified that the alignment pins were in place.
Verified that the noise was coming from the transmission, and not the engine.
** Starter repair was a "simple" remove & replace repair... nothing else done to vehicle. **

Issue #3:
Was getting ready to put it in the shop before it broke... didn't quite make it.
Pulled away from a traffic light, and the Flexplate / Drive Plate / Ring Gear broke [just so others know, it will make one helluva racket, you'll think the engine blew].
Flexplate broke into two spheres or donuts... the smaller donut still attached to the bolts, while the outer sphere was a beautiful large ring.

Repair:
Transmission shop replaced the flexplate with a used unit... no visible apparent defects.
Replaced Rear Main Seal...
Replaced two clutch packs...
Regreased driveshaft [I did this myself]...
** I did not get to see any of the work performed. **

Result:
Just weeks later [this previous week] the rattle is back...
Vehicle will go in tomorrow, and the transmission will come out...
So, we will;
Check the condition of the Flexplate...
Check for Alignment Dowels...
Check to see what the Flexplate Torque numbers are...

My understanding is that the likely reason a Flexplate is breaking is the result of mis-alignment in the driveline, improper torqueing, and/or alignment dowels missing.

Would the experts care to impart their wisdom?

Is there any chance the replacement starter can be the culprit?
** I hear a distinct "crack" when the vehicle is started... the "crack" occurring at the end of the start cycle [engine enagages/ fires up/ "crack" is heard]. **

Anyone know where to locate an OEM Flexplate for less than the cost of tea in China?
Anyone know where to locate the alignment dowel pins [as well as their respective part numbers], or the actual physical dimensions?

In a simple world it would seem that Flexplates/ Dowels/ Parts for a 4L30E transmission should be available most anywhere... but I'm sure the "engineers" love to tinker - and make most every vehicle application unique? Tell me I'm wrong [I am aware that Honda is the most popular source - and never a local parts store]...

Help me get this Amigo back on the road with no more issues for awhile...

Thanks for your consideration & input!

Wm.

I could continue "Googling" this topic till the cows come home, but know the experts are going to be in the zoo...

=================================================================================================

UPDATE [15JAN17]:

Got the Amigo up on jackstands...

Found 3 out of 8 bolts [Bellhousing to Engine Block] loose...
All located on the passenger side... the 3 top-most bolts.
The one that can be accessed from the beneath the transmission had completely backed itself out, only being stopped by a hoseline.
The two above this [and directly behind the engine] can be removed by hand.
The two on the very-bottom and the driver's-side bolts would appear to be seated properly, though I have no idea how one is able to ever get a torque wrench in thses locations.

Removing the cover plate [oops, another bolt missing - "so what, you got three more holding it"] it would appear that the flexplate is not damaged... then again, how is it possible this shop can tell me they even bothered to torque it to the right specs?

Monday, this Amigo will go into their shop - on a flatbed provided by them - and it will get the service it requires... it better come out silent as it should or we will be insisting they pull the transmission, and do the job right!

Torqueing???
Loctite???
Pride in work???

JHCOAC!

Let's see how the shop owner responds to all of this, as well as seeing how much he will care to chip in for the car rental... I do suspect the owner will be apologetic, and likely willing to accomodate.

Lastly, we will take this time to have the original starter serviced [rebuild - performed by an old-school (73 years-old) automotive electrical mechanic], and put back in - as I should have done in the first place [the current starter does appear to be properly seated]... I have no proof, but the original flexplate did break shortly after I had a rebuilt unit installed. So, simple logic tells me there might be an issue. We'll see...

Again, thanks for the input,

Wm.

See less See more
#2 ·
Missing transmission bellhousing to engine alignment dowels (two) will cause the flexplate to crack as you describe.

The Isuzu parts catalog calls the flexplate a Gear; Ring part # 8-97174-420-0.
Isuzu catalogs the bolts that attach it to the crank as Bolt; Flywheel part # 8-97015-187-0 the and
the Converter attaching bolt as Bolt; Plate to Converter part # 8-94157-666-2
http://parts.sonshonda.com/products/Hon ... 420-0.html
Torque Converter to Flexplate bolts 54Nm (40 Ft Lb) (six bolts)
Flexplate bolts 54Nm (40 Ft Lb) (six bolts)

#4 ·
Further...

Is the following the correct part number for the Alignment Pins Dowels;

Honda
8-94325-506-1
Dowel, Transmission Case
[2 required]

Trying to line up the parts to prevent errors/ delays...

So, to be clear...

HONDA
[01] 8-97174-420-0 Gear, Drive
[06] 8-94157-666-2 Bolt, Plate to Converter
[02] 8-94325-506-1 Dowel, Transmission Case

Anything else... besides ensuring the install is properly performed?

Thanks again, for the input...

Wm.

#6 ·
Flydex,

Thanks for the offer, however I am leaning heavily towards an oem unit... since this replacement unit is also used. It doesn't mean the replacement is defective, but I'm willing to bite the bullet. Honestly, I believe the transmission shop erred by not figuring out exactly WHY the Flexplate failed initially... instead, they simply serviced the transmission and replaced the flexplate.

Had I done further research, upon the initial failure, I would have ensured the shop find out the exact cause - before putting it back together [flexplates fail because of forces upon it... rarely ever does a flexplate simply destroy itself]. No matter how I look at it it sucks... another rental car... debating with the shop to share in the cost of finding out the problem. It's going to be a fun week...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.