Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Isuzu 6VD1 block swap

5K views 27 replies 8 participants last post by  cambraun 
#1 ·
Greetings,

I have an oil pressure issue on my Honda Passport 2000 engine. My mechanic told me it is the villebrquin that is worn out. We have found a used engine with the block reference 6VD1.

I would therefore only use the block of this used engine. The block of my Honda Passport engine has the same reference (6VD1).

My problem is that I do not know the year of the used engine. The references that appear on the used block are: 6VD1 (left side) and 438730 (right side).

I read on the forum that the blocks between 98-2002 are identical. My engine is the year 2000.

Is the year really important if I only use the block?
How do I know the year of the used engine with the references I provided to you?

Thank you in advance for your help

#2 ·
Someone else may chime in here but, as far as I know if it is a 6vd1 block you need it shouldn't matter the year, they are the same. Is the donor engine a dohc or sohc ?? If its dual the you could just drop the whole engine in. Btw what exactly is a worn villebrquin ?

Edit... Sorry meant it shouldn't matter the year from 98 and up, the 92-97 are different deck height, they might be made to work together but i couldn't confirm that one.

#3 ·
Thank you Espltd!

I don't know if the used engine is DOHC or SOHC. How can I check this?
Sorry for the word mistake. I mean crankshaft engine (instead vilebrequin). The mechanic explained that crankshat bearing and engine is worn out.

I saw some differences:
- there is a sensor at the top of the used block (my block don't have it;
- the compressor is located at the right side (my compressor is located at the left side);
- the crankshaft pulley in the used block is larger than mine and has 2 belts. The mechanic explained we will swap the pulley.

Also, Intake manifold is different that's why I can't use the entire engine (Only the block although the year must be 98+).

How can I know the engine year with the reference 438730 located on the block?

Thank you

#4 ·
I m not really sure on all your questions but if the intake is different and there are 2 drive belts instead of 1 serpentine then the engine is obviously pre 98. As far as if that block will work with the 98 plus head I know there has been a few write ups around here on the ability to interchange heads and blocks. I dont have the time to go through and look now though I do recall reading about people doing hybrids of the 2, just not sure what was recommended or how they went about it, hopefully someone else more knowledgeable will come along.

Are 98 + engines hard to come by in your area ?? If not I would just look around till you find one of those for a perfect swap. I know in my area they are actually the more common anyway.

#6 ·
I would look around for 2000-2004 engine used ,be a lot easier on you replacing. Look on Ebay for used engines in that years. You have a ion sensing engine. :idea:

#8 ·
What block have you got? Do you have the rest of the engine or just the block? If you have the whole engine you can easily check if it is DOHC or SOHC just by looking. Can you post photos of it?

There are differences in the older blocks and depending on what you have, I believe you may not be able to use it. Most of it will bolt together but you need to get the timing parts working together and that may be a problem.

#9 ·
chimpboy said:
There are differences in the older blocks and depending on what you have, I believe you may not be able to use it. Most of it will bolt together but you need to get the timing parts working together and that may be a problem.
The 93-95 6VD1 use a crankshaft with a 24x Crankshaft Position Sensor reluctor, the 96 and newer 6VD1 use a 58x reluctor as shown in the image. A 58x ignition system cannot operate using a 24x Crankshaft Position Sensor signal.

Attachments

#11 ·
In the image above, the large gear-looking structure on the crankshaft is the reluctor wheel. That wheel and a sensor send timing information to the computer. On a crank from a 96 and newer engine, that wheel will have 58 teeth, as shown. 93-95 crankshafts have a wheel with only 24 teeth. They are not compatible, as it will send a bad signal to the electronics. Take off the oil pan and count the teeth on this wheel.

Are you using the crankshaft as well, or just the engine block? That may narrow down the responses.

#14 ·
Just out of curiosity why not rebuild the one you already have? Did I miss something is there a hole in the block? Did it spin a main bearing or something? If the crankshaft really is damaged it should be able to be turned by any decent machine shop and you would be able to run oversize bearings to make up the difference. Unless there is something else wrong with the crank.

The only thing that I am not sure of is if there are oversize bearings available for this engine or not. It sure would make it a lot easier knowing that the crankshaft signal would be correct because its the one that came out of the SUV. I am not sure why your mechanic did not bring up this option?

P.S. Thanks for the picture Buster28 its nice to know now that the 3.2s have 4 bolt mains.

#15 ·
Thank you squeaks-leaks.
You are right but if the block is compatible, I think it will be more confortable for me. The problem isn't only camshat wear. The mechanic found same problem with bearing. Changing the whole block will allow us not to waste too much time...

Buster28: Unfortunately, The mechanic did not remove the oil pan to check the number of teeth on the wheel.
Currently, all parts are mounted without any problem (cylinder head, compressor, steering pump, pulley, cylinder head gasket, etc.

Chimpboy: The block is a DOHC with 24 valves

#16 ·
Greetings gwana66,

The used block has crankshaft and sensor include. We will use the whole block. I think in this condition, we should not have a bad signal to the computer according to your explanation.

Basically, the test will be done today or tomorrow. I will let you know and hope this topic will help isuzu community.

Thank you all

#17 ·
I think you may be misunderstanding. If your replacement block has the 24x reluctor and sensor, even if you put the whole thing in place of a block that had a 58x reluctor and sensor, it will not run because the computer is looking for a 58x timing signal. You also cannot just put the 58x sensor on a 24x block and have it run.

Reactions: abdocis
#20 ·
The reluctor wheel is part of the crankshaft. I don't think it comes off. If you change the crankshaft, you will need new bearings.

#25 ·
Thank you Buster28 and chimpboy!
The mechanic just inform me that he already mounted the engine in the car and planned to make a test tomorrow. But I am thinking another solution: sometimes, the vin number is written on the cylinder head side. With this information, we could know with precision the replacement block year

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.