drive train clunk clunk clunk sound...

Discuss anything related to drivetrain problems here (Engine, Transmission, etc)

Moderator: Staff

drive train clunk clunk clunk sound...

Postby Sh_YVR » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:08 pm

00Rodeo4wd

In 4wd mode (thanks to great winter storms)

when turning I heard what sounded like a crunch sound that went away (there was also ice build up so hard to tell)

at times it seemed like maybe the 4wd system wasn't engaged some wheel spin at the rear (light was on solid) (it was in 4wd for a relatively long time in very cold temp .at times it would not disengage

then after pulling out of a parking lot there was a much more pronounced and consistent sound like the way a bad engine bearing sounds, but only in gear (matching tire RPM_ and seemed to be coming from the passenger FRONT t. CV seems to be intact. may have been some hydraulic fluid on the a-arm or grease.. (cold out -35) have to look again... Turned on the engine, put it in drive with brakes on , no noise.

is it more likely a wheel bearing ? or CV ? (CV re greased 3 years ago) differential ?

I was close to 'home' parked it.. then reversed it and took it out of 4wd mode. but have not driven it since (in 2wd) may try again to see if the sound is gone ... or tow it in ..

I'd like to order the parts in advance...
Sh_YVR
Rodeo King

Have thanks: 2 times

Sponsor

Re: drive train clunk clunk clunk sound...

Postby Buster28 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:01 am

The left and right front CV axles have splines on the end of the shaft that mate with the splines in the drive plate which is bolted to the wheel hub. The CV axles are retained in the drive plate with a 25mm C clip. It is possible for the C clip to slip out of the groove cut in the CV axle shaft allowing the CV axle to partially disengage from the drive plate. With partial engagement, the splines on the end of the CV axle shaft can become "chewed" off such that the CV axle can no longer rotate the drive plate and provide torque to the wheel hub. This effectively places the front axle in 2WD mode. Remove the wheel hub end caps and see if the C clips have the CV axles retained in the drive plate.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
02 Rodeo Sport 4X4 3.2L V6
01 Rodeo Sport 4X4 3.2L V6
Buster28
4L30E Guru

Have thanks: 862 times

Postby Sh_YVR » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:29 pm

What has happened is the CV axel on the passenger side has pulled out of the hub/wheel, so its hanging loose .
Guess i have to tow it in.. (I didnt take off the wheel - parked on the street etc etc) .
can that happened just because of the C-clip ? I guess the grinding sound was it coming out ... when i looked it wasnt obvious it was out.
are the drive plates likely to be toast ? (i'll try to upload a pic)
Sh_YVR
Rodeo King

Postby Buster28 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:40 pm

Sh_YVR wrote:What has happened is the CV axel on the passenger side has pulled out of the hub/wheel, so its hanging loose .
Guess i have to tow it in.. (I didnt take off the wheel - parked on the street etc etc) .
can that happened just because of the C-clip ? I guess the grinding sound was it coming out ... when i looked it wasnt obvious it was out.
are the drive plates likely to be toast ? (i'll try to upload a pic)

The only thing retaining the CV axle in the hub is the C clip
02 Rodeo Sport 4X4 3.2L V6
01 Rodeo Sport 4X4 3.2L V6
Buster28
4L30E Guru

Have thanks: 862 times

Postby Sh_YVR » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:15 pm

it was the CV joint that busted -(with very little warning 2 times it made a sound - that sounded the same was what i was driving on..lol) I had it serviced not too long ago ~24 months...they prob just used cheap stuff... the clang was it swinging around and hitting something .. LUCKY I wasnt on the hwy at speed when it happened) ... at the time of the 1st boot replacement - couldn't get the complete shaft... rockauto has them at $53. !! much better option to replace the whole thing.. (or use a SPLIT BOOT) ....

has anyone used a split boot for replacing the boot.... ? What is the best grease to use if you didnt use what came with it ?
Seems a split boot could save a bundle on labour (4hrs) .
Sh_YVR
Rodeo King

Postby Grumpfrompahrump » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:28 pm

I tried split boots twice on an old Audi. They only lasted a short time.
Steve
-----------------------------
2000 Amigo Ironman, 3.2L Auto 4WD
1982 Cadillac Fleetwood Hearse
1927 Ford Model T Roadster w/327 Chevy
Grumpfrompahrump
Trail Master

Have thanks: 34 times

Return to Drivetrain Problems