Odd trans issue (4L30E)

Discuss anything related to drivetrain problems here (Engine, Transmission, etc)

Moderator: Staff

Odd trans issue (4L30E)

Postby anchorsaweigh » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:49 am

So I just recently picked up a 2002 Izusu Trooper, Auto V6. Its had a motor swap out within the last 3k miles. Its been driving fine since then. One day I was driving at it started accelerating kinda lurchy while I was driving it. It would occasionally do this, for a day or two and then one day at a stop light I went to go forward and it wouldn't move even though I had D selected. I know the RMS is the first failure point, but as I cycled through the gears(including 4L, 4H, Power, and winter mode) the indicator on the dash agreed with what I had selected but when I would select gears you couldn't "feel" it engage like you normally can. After shutting the car off for 15-20 minutes it would run in any gear again but once I hit the brakes and came to a complete stop it wouldn't stay in gear. Had it towed home, hoped in it a week later and it drove fine around the block a few times. Any idea what it could be? About to take it to the tranny shop if I can't figure it out soon.
anchorsaweigh
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Sponsor

Re: Odd trans issue (4L30E)

Postby Buster28 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:14 pm

If the truck will move in Reverse and L (Manual 1st) there may be a problem involving the B Shift Solenoid. Will the truck move in Drive with Winter Mode selected?
02 Rodeo Sport 4X4 3.2L V6
01 Rodeo Sport 4X4 3.2L V6
Buster28
4L30E Guru

Have thanks: 884 times

Postby anchorsaweigh » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:09 pm

It wouldn't move in L or Reverse, or with winter mode or power mode selected.. Everything started working fine after I shut it off for 20-30 mins. When it first went out I tried every position and nothing would happen. I'm thinking it's something electrical I just have no idea what. It works fine now by the way.
anchorsaweigh
Drives on Pavement

Postby Buster28 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:01 pm

anchorsaweigh wrote:It wouldn't move in L or Reverse, or with winter mode or power mode selected.. Everything started working fine after I shut it off for 20-30 mins. When it first went out I tried every position and nothing would happen. I'm thinking it's something electrical I just have no idea what. It works fine now by the way.

Reverse and L (Manual 1st) are selected manually, no electricity necessary.
02 Rodeo Sport 4X4 3.2L V6
01 Rodeo Sport 4X4 3.2L V6
Buster28
4L30E Guru

Have thanks: 884 times

Postby anchorsaweigh » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:10 pm

I just got underneath the car and noticed some fresh tranny fluid on the RMS. Could low fluid have caused my symptoms?
anchorsaweigh
Drives on Pavement

Postby busboy111 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:47 pm

Check the tranny fluid.....my 98 was tripping out when I first bought it from a guy.....he never added fluid when he had a leak......after I added the proper amount it shifted perfect. .....btw there isn't a dip stick on mine....you have to fill through a plug underneath.....it sucks to do but it might be worth a try. Good luck and google how to fill for the proper instructions. Take care and have a great day!

Bryan
1989 Isuzu Trooper 2, 4 Door, 5 speed, 366,000 + miles
Upgrades : Converted to the Weber 32/36, 2.3 intake, pacesetter manifold / straight piped with Cherry bomb ;)

1998 Isuzu Trooper automatic 3.5 v-6 158,069+ miles, cracked windshield :(
busboy111
Drives on Dirt

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby anchorsaweigh » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:41 pm

Buster28 wrote:The shifter cable rotates the shaft that goes through the RMS. The shaft operates the transmission Manual Valve, so the RMS is reporting the Manual Valve position to the PCM. When the vehicle is stationary and in D the PCM configures the two shift solenoids for 1st gear operation, when you select Winter Mode the PCM configures the two shift solenoids for 3rd gear operation. However, when you select R or L, the Manual Valve controls the gear selection without using the shift solenoids so it is unlikely the RMS is the source of the problem. Was the truck in TOD mode when you had no motion in any gear selection?

I do not believe it was. Its currently at the shop right now. I drove it into the shop(about 5 miles from home) just fine without a single issue. Hopefully they can find the issue.

I'll tell them to check the fluid also.
anchorsaweigh
Drives on Pavement

Postby busboy111 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:59 pm

Good luck.....please keep us up to date. I hope it's something simple for you. ;) take care and have a great day.

~Bryan
1989 Isuzu Trooper 2, 4 Door, 5 speed, 366,000 + miles
Upgrades : Converted to the Weber 32/36, 2.3 intake, pacesetter manifold / straight piped with Cherry bomb ;)

1998 Isuzu Trooper automatic 3.5 v-6 158,069+ miles, cracked windshield :(
busboy111
Drives on Dirt

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby anchorsaweigh » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:01 pm

Alright went to the shop today to pick up my trooper since they haven't even touched it since I dropped it off. As I walk up to it I noticed some fluid underneath the front end. Turns out it's a pretty decent sized puddle of tranny fluid. So looks like I'm a little closer to figuring out the issue. Now I just have to figure out where the leak is coming from. The RMS is covered in the fluid. Should I go ahead and just swap over another 4L30e? Or will it be alright after being that low on fluid? Also what's the easiest way to go about filling up the transmission?
anchorsaweigh
Drives on Pavement

Return to Drivetrain Problems