Fixing stuff on my 92 Rodeo XS 3.1 V6

Discuss anything related to drivetrain problems here (Engine, Transmission, etc)

Moderator: Staff

Fixing stuff on my 92 Rodeo XS 3.1 V6

Postby Emmact » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:23 am

Hi everyone, :D

I decided to start fixing the little things on my Rodeo and documenting the process as I go along. So far nothing major has happened and hopefully as the month's go by I will be able to start taking it on some nice adventures(provided nothing major happens to it). I'm sort off starting over in Vegas and this is also a new truck for me so the process will probably be very slow. Any advice and/or tips on what to look for in my '92 Rodeo will be greatly appreciated.

On to the first problem:
I've been having a noise coming from the engine lately. It didn't take long to figure out it was the serpentine belt fortunately. Unfortunately, because I used to fix things with my dad(who lives in Florida) and his tools, I don't have the tools I need to fix it, my socket set is missing that one size I need to release the tensioner pulley. I will be looking at garage sales and CL for cheap tools in the meantime. Will update as soon as I start working on it.

In the meantime, Should I also change the idler and tensioner pulley's with the new serpentine belt or is it ok to leave them be for now?
Never Give Up, Never Surrender!

1992 Isuzu Rodeo XS 4X4 3.1L V6
Emmact
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Sponsor

Re: Fixing stuff on my 92 Rodeo XS 3.1 V6

Postby DSUZU » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:42 pm

Not as critical with a serpentine belt as with a timing belt (which your engine doesn't have). What I do is while the belt is off, spin the pulley(s). Does it make noise? Sound rough? Spin very easily? Probably due for replacement (easily is because there should be some grease in there and an almost dry pulley will spin very easily. On some, you can re-lubricate them with a syringe. Dennis
1991 LS Trooper 2.8 V6 5 speed conversion (Sold)
1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N airfilter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years.

http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=64060

The American dream is getting farther and farther away from the American.

If your wife has 5.00, and you have 20.00, your wife has...25.00

"Water is one of the greatest essentials of life. Without water, you can't make coffee."
DSUZU
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 619 times

Postby Emmact » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:11 pm

DSUZU wrote:Not as critical with a serpentine belt as with a timing belt (which your engine doesn't have). What I do is while the belt is off, spin the pulley(s). Does it make noise? Sound rough? Spin very easily? Probably due for replacement (easily is because there should be some grease in there and an almost dry pulley will spin very easily. On some, you can re-lubricate them with a syringe. Dennis

Thanks Dennis,

I will take that into account when I take the belt out.

Emmact
Drives on Pavement

Postby Emmact » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:37 pm

The other day I went to pick up this TV stand i found on Craigslist and when I got there I couldn't open the tailgate on my Rodeo. I looked up a couple of threads here and found that it usually happened after getting rear ended, but mine just decided not to work that day. The problem is not yet fixed but I decided to upload some pictures and see if anyone has any ideas.

Unlike most problems I found with the Isuzu tailgates my problem was not the window; that is opening and closing fine. But for future references if anyone has that problem I found out you can remove the plastic bar on the very edge of the trunk floor and it makes it way easier to pry the door panel away from the metal itself and access the wire release for the window latch. The pic below shows the plastic bar with the screws removed. There are 5 srews total on my 92 Rodeo.

Here is a picture of the bare tailgate with all the plastic and metal panels removed. If you look from the locking mechanism down and slightly rightyou can see a little wire, that is what you are looking for to manually release the rear window.

But if you're trying to open the tailgate like me you might have to feel for the release wires(one left and one right of the locking mechanism) and pull them towards the center of the tailgate to release the tailgate. BE READY TO CATCH THE TAILGATE AS IT CAN FALL PRETTY HARD! Or just have someone holding it for you on the other side xD

Anyway I still cant fix the locking mechanism as it appears to be stuck when I use the handle and the tailgate won't come down. This little rivet appears to be out of place and is now blocking the handle's access to the wires that release the tailgate U_U
Any ideas on how to push that black plastic piece back into it's place?

Tomorrow I might go to the local U Pull and try and get a new locking mechanism and replace the whole thing since it appears to be faulty.

Wish me luck.

Emmact
Drives on Pavement

Postby Emmact » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:39 am

I spent almost an hour after removing the locking mechanism looking at it and could think of nothing that would work... a friend happened to call and suggested I lubricate the part that was stuck. Tailgate is opening and closing like new; problem was solved. So easy to overlook the simple things. I used chain lubricant instead of WD-40 hoping it would last longer. Let's see what happens

Emmact
Drives on Pavement

Postby Emmact » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:24 pm

Hello Everyone, Recently I changed the alternator to my 1992 Rodeo V6(3.1L). Today I heard a really nasty noise and thought oh ---- I'm screwed. Luckily it is just the tensioner pulley that got stuck and the belt ripped it to pieces. I was close enough to home to be able to drive it back and am now looking for a replacement. But before I do that I was wondering if anyone knew which direction does this particular bolt loosen and tighten? Does it tighten right and loosen left or vice versa?

I ask because I have to pull it left in order to release tension and remove the belt. I think maybe when I removed the belt last time with the alternator I accidentally tightened the pulley shut and because it didn't spin it eventually broke. Any Ideas?

Thanks

Emmact
Drives on Pavement

Postby Ed Mc. » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:47 pm

The bolt that holds the pulley onto the tensioner assy has left-hand threads. So, Lefty Tighty, Righty Loosey!!!

I didn't know this when I was messing with one and stripped-out the bolt!

BTW the bolt has a shoulder on it such that it can't tighten down too-tight and bind the pulley.

Here's a selection of idler pulleys from Rockauto, note that they offer both ribbed and smooth pulleys so be sure the one you're getting matches what you have installed on your engine:

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/isuz ... ulley,6956

HTH......ed
'90 3.4 Troop LS;
'89 Troop RS (Exhaust Valve Challenged), now gone to a Good Home!
Yes, I am a Trooper-Holic!!!
Keep On Troopin' !
Ed Mc.
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 205 times

Postby Emmact » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:06 am

Thank you Ed,

Fortunately I was unable to strip the bolt, but will try tomorrow morning to go back at it and turn in the right direction(pun intended :wink: )

Emmact
Drives on Pavement

Postby Emmact » Thu May 04, 2017 11:20 pm

I ended up renting a breaker bar and it did the trick. It is very uncomfortable and it took a few tries to get that pulley out of there. But a little patience went a long way. Now however the car won't start. I turned the key and nothing... no spark, no engine turning, no lights turning on. I made sure the battery was plugged in correctly, measured the voltage and it reads 12.64 which means the battery is not the problem. After cleaning out the battery terminals the best I could with a flat head screwdriver and some soda(for lack of baking soda) I tried again. Still nothing, it's as if the battery was dead with no charge except the battery is perfectly fine. Any ideas?

Emmact
Drives on Pavement

Return to Drivetrain Problems