Engine Ignition Coil Fuse keep blowing - 98 Rodeo

Discuss anything related to drivetrain problems here (Engine, Transmission, etc)

Moderator: Staff

Engine Ignition Coil Fuse keep blowing - 98 Rodeo

Postby sdrodeo » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:45 pm

Hello everyone.

I just discovered Planet Isuzu today while scouring the Internet for solutions to a problem I've had on my 98 Rodeo.
During hard right turns, the ignition coil fuse will blow. This is like if you are on an on-ramp to the freeway. This has put me in very dangerous situations --I've had to open the drivers side door to quickly replace the fuse. The rodeo I have currently has 255000 miles. This problem has been intermittent for the past several years but lately becoming more of an annoyance and extreme hazard since moving to souther California.
I am wondering if any of you have seen this issue before and a possible resolution?

Not sure if this is related, but during hard acceleration, the check engine will illuminate and the ECU throws codes indicating an issue with the EGR valve. I've cleaned the valve in the past, but am replacing the EGR valve today with a new one. I wonder if this will resolve the issue with the ignition coil fuses blowing because i read that they share the came circuit? I also read an article of someone that showed gas mileage improvements after replacing the valve. Any thoughts? :?:
Last edited by sdrodeo on Tue May 16, 2017 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sdrodeo
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Sponsor

Re: Ignition Coil Fuses keep blowing - 98 Rodeo

Postby Buster28 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:51 am

If your blowing the fuse under certain steering conditions there is most likely a short circuit in wiring to the coils. The schematic may help in the troubleshooting of the problem. The voltage supplied by the fuse goes to each coil, a short to ground on any coil will blow the fuse. The EGR valve is not electrically connected to the ignition circuit. Connector H17 is behind the driver left kick pad and H6 is in the engine cmp by brake booster. Wiggle these connector harnesses and see if the fuse blows.
Click on image to expand.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
02 Rodeo Sport 4X4 3.2L V6
01 Rodeo Sport 4X4 3.2L V6

For this post the author Buster28 was thanked by:
sdrodeo
Buster28
4L30E Guru

Have thanks: 876 times

Postby iasonus » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:50 pm

Were you able to figure out the issue? I have a 99 Passport that is having similar problems. My ignition fuse is not blowing during a turn, but more of a bump....

The first time was on an 18 hour drive from Texas to California, I was headed out of LA on I5, cruise control on, downhill, hit a rather large bump in the road and everything went dead. Crawled all under the truck searching for a chaffed wire and nothing. Replaced the fuse and went on my merry little way.

About 3500 miles later, while pulling a trailer back from Arkansas, a smaller bump did the same thing. It has happened two additional times since both small bumps......... I am lost......

Could it be a bad coil boot? shorting out? loose bolt for the coil?

Any help is greatly appreciated
iasonus
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby Buster28 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:15 pm

A defective spark plug boot can cause a misfire on that cylinder but should cause a fuse to blow. What is the name of fuse that is blowing?
Buster28
4L30E Guru

Postby iasonus » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:31 pm

It's the "Engine Ig" on the inside fuse panel. When it blows the coil packs do not fire.
iasonus
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby Buster28 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:58 pm

The Engine IG fuse supplies +12Vdc to energize the PCM power relay. When the fuse blows the relay de-energizes and removes PCM operating power which stops the engine. It is same as turning off the ignition switch. The fuse also supplies the vapor canister vent valve, the canister and the vent valve are mounted to a steel plate located under the rear of the vehicle and is probably a good candidate for a short to ground. The fuse also powers the canister purge valve, the MAF sensor and the VIM solenoid, these are in the engine compartment.
Buster28
4L30E Guru

Postby sdrodeo » Tue May 16, 2017 1:01 pm

3 years later...

I solved the problem. :cheers:

The issue was a bundle of wires that had become loose enough so that during turns or movement, they touched the front corner of the motor kind of behind the "lower" radiator hose where the valve cover is.
It looks like these wires come up from the alternator possibly. --I'll have to do a thorough inspection this weekend.

The heat had melted the wiring loom and then the actual wire jacket so that bare copper was exposed.
I can't figure out if they were shorting out when touching the motor, or themselves; there were about 3 wires completely exposed, and one was severed.

I reconnected the severed wire and sealed off the bare wires as best as i could for now.

I test drove all evening making hard right turns, general aggressive driving, and bumps, and no stall!!

Here is a photo of where the short occurred:
rodeo short.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1998 Isuzu Rodeo V6 4wd Auto; 280,000 miles original motor
sdrodeo
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Return to Drivetrain Problems