ISUZU AXIOM HELP!!!!!!!!

Discuss anything related to drivetrain problems here (Engine, Transmission, etc)

Moderator: Staff

ISUZU AXIOM HELP!!!!!!!!

Postby Tg16 » Thu May 18, 2017 1:26 am

I just bought a Used 2002 axiom and finding out the last owner LIED to me about almost everything.

Underneath the car looks fine and inside looked pretty good.

Care will not go into drive but trans sounds as if it's trying

Dash light on TOD rear wheels won't light this is no surprise since pulling the dash apart it seems the guy may have lied to me on mileage and jacked up the cluster.

Problems I am having

1. TOD just flashes
2. will not move at all sounds as if it's trying wondering id the TOD problem would keep it from moving at all
3. has a slight tick on bank 2 hopefully a deep service will clear it up as it seems this guy didn't do the oil changes properly
4. Trans cooler lines leaking (Fixed tonight)
5. with TEch 2 TOD Keep Saying Lost Communication when I run digs on the TOD but many codes say not present or failed)

Would like to diag TOD issue before investing in fixing trans if it's blown up

I have taken most of the dash and center console apart and cannot find the TOD Computer

I have looked in glove box area
I have looked under seats
I have taken center console out
I looked in Right Footwell
looked under driver dash

Anyone know where it is??

Anyone have a Service manual

Any Help would be appreciated.
1998 SLX
2000 Trooper
2002 Rodeo
Tg16
Drives on Gravel

Have thanks: 2 times

Sponsor

Re: ISUZU AXIOM HELP!!!!!!!!

Postby Tg16 » Fri May 19, 2017 3:37 am

found the module but still would like any help or feed back or AXIOMS are Lepers?
1998 SLX
2000 Trooper
2002 Rodeo
Tg16
Drives on Gravel

Postby gwana66 » Fri May 19, 2017 9:53 am

If you make one of your subjects about transmission help, maybe Buster will see it and respond. Relatively few Axioms were sold, and the vast majority of them are in junkyards now due to engine/trans problems or general lack of replacement parts. I think I've seen one on the road, ever. Mechanically they are quite similar to a Rodeo of the same year, at least as far as suspension goes.
98 Amigo, 2.2 5sp 4x4, 4.77 gears and factory LSD.
Power nothing - No power windows, no power locks, no power engine. ;)
Even the hubs are manual now.
2003 Grille and headlight swap
gwana66
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 205 times

Postby btw1549 » Fri May 19, 2017 7:42 pm

You have a 2002 which also means you have the 4L30E transmission, which is known to have issues.

When you downshift into 1st manually does it feel like the transmission engages? Unless the transfer case is stuck in a neutral position it sounds like you have internal transmission issues.

You also stated the engine has a knock. In all honesty (I have 2 02 Axioms) if the engine is knocking and it sounds like it's coming from the bottom end you may want to drop the pan and check the bearings before throwing money or time at the trans issue. If the crank is badly scored due to lack of oil pressure (which is common) at a minimum your going to need a new engine. If it is ok then I would dive into the trans issue.
BtW - 1991 LS Trooper In Progress, Complete Restoration with 3.4L Swap! (The Tank)
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=72642

2002 Isuzu Axiom In Progress, Complete Drivetrain Rebuild with Suspension Refresh/Lift
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=74409
btw1549
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 24 times

Postby Tg16 » Sat May 20, 2017 4:40 am

the engine sound if it is taking a load from the trans I don't hear a gear clunk if that's what you mean.

Has anyone ever heard of the dash know Transfer case getting stuck in neutral?

If so how can you force it out of neutral if it is?
1998 SLX
2000 Trooper
2002 Rodeo
Tg16
Drives on Gravel

Return to Drivetrain Problems