ABS problems, thinking connector related -mystery to solve.

Discuss anything related to drivetrain problems here (Engine, Transmission, etc)

Moderator: Staff

ABS problems, thinking connector related -mystery to solve.

Postby lori_cohen » Wed May 17, 2017 8:21 pm

I did a search and couldn't find this issue. Here's my story and I'm sticking to it.....

The ABS on our 2002 Trooper was intermittently coming on and it seemed to be when the vehicle warmed up, the light would come on but almost never right away at the start. The code read a #51 -failing left front wheel speed sensor. We examined the area behind the tire and discovered the heat shield had rusted though it's holder bolt and was laying on the back side of the area where the ABS sensor was. So, we fashioned a new bracket with a metal coat hanger to keep it up off the ABS sensor. We examined the ABS sensor and there appeared to be some heat discolorization on the plastic where the ABS sensor connected to the plug for the wiring harness ( I think that's what it's called). We put an oscilloscope on the sensor itself and got a normal reading (while turning the wheel hub) and the sensor seemed to be working correctly. We cleaned out the area of dust and debris and made sure the connection into the wiring harness was clean and put it back together. Started up the truck, no light. Yay. Got about 100 feet down the road and the ABS light came back on and stayed on. Now it stays on even on start and doesn't go out. So....before we fixed the heat shield, the ABS light was intermittent. After the fix, it's always on.

Do you think the sensor is actually bad? Could it be the plug where the sensor attaches to the harness that leads to the module? Something else? If it is the plug, what is that part/number? Is it obtainable? It appears to be something we might have to find at a junk yard....the left front sensor is $400 new for an Isuzu but appears to share the part with an Acura that I can get for $150.

Experts?
lori_cohen
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Sponsor

Re: ABS problems, thinking connector related -mystery to sol

Postby lori_cohen » Thu May 18, 2017 12:13 pm

Anyone?
lori_cohen
Drives on Pavement

Postby Buster28 » Thu May 18, 2017 2:23 pm

Look at the sensor signal at the CIM connector C-4
Click on schematic to expand.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
02 Rodeo Sport 4X4 3.2L V6
01 Rodeo Sport 4X4 3.2L V6
Buster28
4L30E Guru

Have thanks: 876 times

Postby lori_cohen » Fri May 19, 2017 7:19 am

Thanks. I wonder if I can find any plug to put on the chassis side of the speed sensor fix it......
lori_cohen
Drives on Pavement

Return to Drivetrain Problems