2.6 / 2.3 valve train (edit from "camera test")

Discuss anything related to drivetrain problems here (Engine, Transmission, etc)

Moderator: Staff

2.6 / 2.3 valve train (edit from "camera test")

Postby DSUZU » Tue May 16, 2017 7:02 pm

So many of us when doing a head gasket simply remove the rockers as an assembly, sit it aside, and then re-install it, adjust the valves ,
and call it good. On my current 2.6 project, I decided to take the whole thing apart, clean it all, and then re-assemble it.
WHOA!!! The bottom side of the rocker shafts take the brunt of the load of the valve train.
0516171838.jpg[/attach;yment] The rockers themselves didn't look all that bad. I turned the shafts over, drilled "new" oil supply holes (5 per shaft and they are NOT hardened steel). Then I made small dimples alongside each hole to assist oil flow (note the slots on the original holes) When I get everything cleaned up and assembled, I'll see how it all works.
Again, this is NOT a recommended repair practice, but I wanted to see how it would work out (I'm hoping the shafts on my other 2.6 are in better shape). If this works out, it may help someone who does not have spare rocker assemblies in the future. We all know that 2.6 parts are getting harder to come by (2.3 should be about the same)
This is a test. [attachment=0]0516171838a.jpg

First time trying to use my phone camera to post a picture. My computer pooped and I've been using my phone this week (PITB, small screen and big fingers). Dennis
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1991 LS Trooper 2.8 V6 5 speed conversion (Sold)
1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N airfilter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years.

http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=64060

The American dream is getting farther and farther away from the American.

If your wife has 5.00, and you have 20.00, your wife has...25.00

"Water is one of the greatest essentials of life. Without water, you can't make coffee."
DSUZU
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 619 times

Sponsor

Return to Drivetrain Problems