Isuzu SUV Forum banner

cam issue

560 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Hawaiian Whore 
#1 ·
ok guys, I have a 99 3.2. When I bought it, I couldn't time it correctly. Long story short, I pulled the valve cover on the driver's side and noticed that there was a very small gap on between the cam gear and the cam on the intake side. Further investigation showed that the timing marks on the gear made the cam completely off in reference to the exhaust cam, like the gear spun but the cam didn't.

Anyway, I bought a junk yard cam, and noticed that the number 3 cam bearing and cam cap was scored pretty hard. I smoothed them down, installed the cam, and the car ran beautifully for a day. While driving, the car broke down. I pulled the valve cover, and the same thing happened as from before. I bought 2 complete heads, and am now in the process of installing them. Any idea what would cause the failure of two intake cams? I don't want to do all this work and then have the same thing happen for the third time

#2 ·
You say "same thing as before" do you mean the cam gear moved without moving the camshaft or that the cam got scored up near the number 3 bearing cap. Sounds like a possible oil starvation issue although I can't be too sure. How many miles on this motor? does it get regular oil changes? Something could've clogged in the head and it wasn't getting proper lubrication. Probably wise of you to just replace the heads anyway. Let me know how it goes!

#3 ·
bought the truck a few months ago. it has 201k miles on it. As far as "same thing as before" i'm referring to the cam separating from the gear and turning separately from each other. Oil starvation crossed my mind, but i couldn't locate any oil journals on the heads, can you advise where they're located?+

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.