Isuzu SUV Forum banner

94 3.2 4x4 rodeo, clunking noise from back end during durns

957 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Grayfox 
#1 ·
Just picked up a 94 rodeo, 200k miles. When I take turns slowly, no noise. When I take them at a normal or faster speed I hear a single clunk. Almost feels like something is shifting too. Happens no matter which way I turn. Im thinking worn out leaf spring bushings. Any other suggestions appreciated.

#3 ·
Yep. I got the rear up on the Jack and saw my bushings were obliterated.

I was A little shocked but extremely happy when I saw that rodeos don't have inner and outer sleeves around the rear bushings. It made replacement a breeze! Now, I still need to replace the bushings on the front of the leaf springs, but just replacing the rear with energy suspension polyurethanes has eliminated the clunking sounds.

Here is a pic of my old bushings

#4 ·
exactly what mine looked like when i removed them... the bores in my springs were pretty rust pitted but the bushing still fit tight enuff... i did not have to change the front bushing on mine... i took them out and that were both in great shape so i lubed them up good and sloppy with silicon past and put them back in and saved the new ones for later date. i am fighting fuel pressure with mine currently... but i have a solution for that as well if, if i can get a good part. The best tool you can buy if you drive a older car is a Smoke machine...( OTC Leak Tamer or the Smoke Wizard one from the AesWave web site.) i was able to get a brand new (old style) leak tamer from ebay, best 500$ i have ever spent. takes seconds, and its far better than any other method i have found.
example.. i sprayed my throttle body with every flammable solvent there is starter fluid, brake clear, carb cleaner, propane. and heard Zero effect in the engine rpm. i though i have it solid with zero vacuum leaks, and my vacuum gauge when i put it to the intake was showing 20 inches of vacuum... that seemed like good proof to me. when i got the smoke machine and hooked it up the first time. less than five minutes after i stuck it in the brake booster hose. LoL i had smoke coming out the throttle shaft on the side with the big return spring, smoke out of the exh manifolds where the y pipe bots up, smoke out the rear Cam plugs, both sides( that one made me scratch my head a bit LoL), smoke out both valve cover seals, smoke was belching out of the pintle shaft on the egr valve, smoke leaking out around the pvc valve gromit, the pvc valve itself is brand new,

LoL after all the work i had done with spraying carb cleaners and using the vacuum pump and thinking i has it all good then to see all those leaks , and seeing them so fast. LoL i felt worthless for a few seconds

#6 ·
ya mine has that from time to time.....i started changing the oil every thousand miles for a while and that helped... then i went to the wix filters and i just change it ever 3 thousand now. most of the time after it warms up on the first drive of the day , it shuts up and runs like a mouse for the rest of the day. when i have time i think i will tare the heads down and rebuild them... funny part was when the smoke machine showed me the cam seals were leaking.... when i fixed those , they were pretty well non existent.... but after the fix, i noticed i starts making progress with the chattering.. im thinking dirt was getting in as fast as i was taking it out prior to fixing them.... poor mans fix, but no smoke comes out from the back no more LoL
luck of the Ohio valley i guess

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.