01 Rodeo 3.2L 4x4 Auto trans shifting strange

Discuss anything related to drivetrain problems here (Engine, Transmission, etc)

Moderator: Staff

01 Rodeo 3.2L 4x4 Auto trans shifting strange

Postby Dan207 » Mon May 15, 2017 3:05 pm

I have a 2001 Rodeo 3.2L 4x4 that had the transmission replaced about 10K ago. Drove it cross country from San Diego to Maine with no problems. It shifts almost normal(a little hard) when the power button is ON. Winter button will only light up if pushed while trans is in Park, then goes off before I get to the end of the street regardless of how fast I go. When power button is off, I have to let off the gas for it to shift into 4th. if I go down a hill steep enough to speed up the car after letting off the gas, it down shifts and slows me down. If going 60mph and go up a hill it wont down shift until I have slowed to about 45 mph unless I floor it. I drove it in the rain and while in economy mode(power button off) it could not decide what gear to be in and was going back and forth with RPMs jumping. When I pushed the power button on it stopped. I am going to check all the electric connections again because of it acting up in the rain, I was thinking it might be electrical. Wondering if anyone has any ideas. I have been researching and reading about the TCC and shift solenoids, but not sure if that's the problem
Dan207
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 1 time

Sponsor

Re: 01 Rodeo 3.2L 4x4 Auto trans shifting strange

Postby Buster28 » Mon May 15, 2017 6:08 pm

The Power Mode Switch is does not directly control the transmission it just raises the shift point RPM the PCM uses to control the shift solenoids. The Winter Mode switch causes the PCM to command the shift solenoids to produce a 3rd gear start as opposed to a 1st gear start when selected. It cannot be selected if vehicle speed is above 6 mph and will self cancel at 21 mph. It is not clear from your description what your complaint actually is. Does the transmission act normally when it is not raining and the Power Mode Switch is Off?
02 Rodeo Sport 4X4 3.2L V6
01 Rodeo Sport 4X4 3.2L V6
Buster28
4L30E Guru

Have thanks: 884 times

Postby Dan207 » Mon May 15, 2017 6:38 pm

It drives more normal when power switch is on and it's not raining. With power switch off it's not shifting right no matter if it's raining or not.
Dan207
Drives on Pavement

Postby Dan207 » Wed May 17, 2017 7:56 pm

Ok I have driven it the past 2 days in dry warm conditions. In the early morning when it's pretty cold outside (30 F) it was shifting great the way it should. In the PM when it was warm and sunny, it was down shifting when going down a hill that was steep enough to speed the rodeo up with foot off accelerator. And when warm out it would take a long time to hit the last gear, I would have to feather the petal to get it to shift into 4th. Anyone have any ideas?
Dan207
Drives on Pavement

Postby robs » Tue May 30, 2017 10:57 pm

All of this sounds about normal. My 02 has always behaved this way since I drove it off the lot. Something you may need to adjust to?

Power button pushes the shifts point up avoiding getting caught at speeds resulting between gears. Normal

While going down hill you have to brake in order to stop the down shift. Normal

Getting stuck in converter lockup hitting the hill without flooring it.. Yep that too. Converter lockup disengages ~47MPH, engages at ~52MPH. I speed up or slow down to avoid the 50MPH lockup clutch "wonky range". Also normal

Very annoying shift characteristics but otherwise seems normal.
02 Rodeo Sport 2WD 3.2L V6 165K
robs
Trail Rider

Have thanks: 20 times

Postby Dan207 » Wed May 31, 2017 1:11 pm

robs wrote:All of this sounds about normal. My 02 has always behaved this way since I drove it off the lot. Something you may need to adjust to?

Power button pushes the shifts point up avoiding getting caught at speeds resulting between gears. Normal

While going down hill you have to brake in order to stop the down shift. Normal

Getting stuck in converter lockup hitting the hill without flooring it.. Yep that too. Converter lockup disengages ~47MPH, engages at ~52MPH. I speed up or slow down to avoid the 50MPH lockup clutch "wonky range". Also normal

Very annoying shift characteristics but otherwise seems normal.

Good to know. I was worried because one time my tranny couldn't decide what gear to stay in and kept flipping back and forth, I pushed the power button and it stopped. I changed the fluid and seems to be shift smoother. Guess I'll just keep an eye on it for now
Dan207
Drives on Pavement

Postby Sh_YVR » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:19 pm

Same with mine going up a steep grade even when it was 'new ish' ... it would sometimes shift down.. Also the downhill is 'grade logic' .. it senses the grade.. shifts to slow the vehicle.... Also you want to make sure it gets filled right.. many places I've been too freak out because there is no dipstick, or when I ask for a dump&fill.. I recommend MaxATF from royal purple. (DexVI the current recommended is thinner) They have to pump it in the overflow while it is running. http://planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f ... &p=777132& .. definitely don't drop it off for a trannyflush at some generic oil change place.
Sh_YVR
Super Trooper

Have thanks: 3 times

Return to Drivetrain Problems