transmission issues on 2001 Rodeo 3.2 V6 2WD

Discuss anything related to drivetrain problems here (Engine, Transmission, etc)

Moderator: Staff

transmission issues on 2001 Rodeo 3.2 V6 2WD

Postby g-spot915 » Sun May 14, 2017 1:09 am

Hey fellow isuzu owners.

I currently ran into an issue today with my 2001 Isuzu Rodeo 3.2L V6 2WD Automatic transmission (4L30E transmission) as i was driving my Rodeo it began to high rev but with no acceleration. When it finally starts to catch it bucks and will either go back to high revs or drive normal-ish. When i first bought her in November she had the same buck feeling but never high rev'ed. I changed the tranny fluid which was a dark brown, and put a new tranny filter. 3,500 miles later its now worse than before. if i but it in low gear and then shift to 2nd and 3rd i don't tend to have as bad of an issue but to much gas and it slips out of gear. Is this a gear issue or could it be a solenoid????? What am i looking at for cost? Just wanna know if its worth saving
g-spot915
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Sponsor

Re: transmission issues on 2001 Rodeo 3.2 V6 2WD

Postby Buster28 » Sun May 14, 2017 5:37 am

g-spot915 wrote: if i but it in low gear and then shift to 2nd and 3rd i don't tend to have as bad of an issue but to much gas and it slips out of gear. Is this a gear issue or could it be a solenoid????? What am i looking at for cost? Just wanna know if its worth saving

The gears in an automatic transmission planetary gear set are in constant mesh so the transmission cannot mechanically slip out of gear. When the engine revs and there is no increase in vehicle speed the clutch that is driving the planetary gear set is slipping.

The 2nd clutch drives the planetary ring gear input, the 3rd clutch drives the planetary input sun gear and the reaction drum brake band (special type clutch) holds and releases the reaction drum sun gear that mates with planetary gear set long pinion gears.

To produce a 2nd gear ratio the 2nd clutch and the brake band are applied. The brake band is also the applied in L (Manual 1st), therefore, if the transmission can accelerate without slipping in L (Manual 1st) the problem is worn out clutch frictions in the 2nd clutch assembly.

You have to disassemble the transmission to replace the clutch frictions so your looking at a $2500 (more or less) rebuild.
02 Rodeo Sport 4X4 3.2L V6
01 Rodeo Sport 4X4 3.2L V6
Buster28
4L30E Guru

Have thanks: 884 times

Postby 02RodeoAlex » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:06 pm

So as I'm starting to understand the issues through the research. I have an 02 Rodeo 2wd. V6. 175k miles. It too has the feeling of it slipping out of gear. But it's more added to it. Putting it in drive it automatically starts rolling if my foot is not on the brake. During the start of rolling it will slip out of gear , catch roll a little more slip out again, catch again then I am able to press the gas like a normal car. Slight High rev mis-shift between 1-2. High rev miss shift between 2-3. Once I am going in 4th gear (after 50mph) it drives fine untill I stop. And the process repeats it self. Trans fluid was changed along with filter around 8 months ago. The previous owner said it has been high rev shifting for about 10 years now. The "slip" just started recently. Couple months now. Resevoir up by the brake fluid resivour was low.
02RodeoAlex
Drives on Pavement

Postby 02RodeoAlex » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:29 pm

Also. If it helps me diagnose. . The previous owner went through the transmission gasket recall. It happens around 34k miles. While it was in the shop. They said a sensor out side the trans is going out. Not covered under warranty. They said it would harm the transmission. It started high reving months after he had it repaired. Never looked into it because it kept driving. How do I figure out and diagnose my issue. It's paid off and fixing it will be cheaper over time with a car payment for another vehicle. Thanks
02RodeoAlex
Drives on Pavement

Postby CalG » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:12 pm

Buster gave you the answer in MAY

Transmission issues means something is broken and needs fixing.

IF you wish to do good things incrementally, You could first remove clean , lubricate and replace the electrical multi switch that is external on the side of the transmission.

A great diagnostic is to unplug the electric connections to the transmission and see if the unit "behaves" when shifted manually. If it does, GREAT! If not, there is an issue inside.

Then you could drop both pans, and have a good look for debris that might have shed from worn clutches (a sure sign that a rebuild is in order)
You could look at the filter to check for loading also. Then you could pull the valve body, clean and check all the solenoid valves make sure the gaskets are in good order.

If you find something while doing these things, Great! these things need done.
If you don't find any obvious faults, a rebuild will expose and repair the problem deeper in.
Either way, R&R the transmission and "do it all", or check the easy stuff the hard way. It all needs to be done.
CalG
Has a Trail Truck

Have thanks: 22 times

Postby Buster28 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:09 pm

CalG wrote:Buster gave you the answer in MAY

The one I responded to in May was not posted by 02RodeoAlex. This new post sounds like the reaction drum brake band is slipping.
02 Rodeo Sport 4X4 3.2L V6
01 Rodeo Sport 4X4 3.2L V6
Buster28
4L30E Guru

Have thanks: 884 times

Return to Drivetrain Problems