transmission issues on 2001 Rodeo 3.2 V6 2WD

Discuss anything related to drivetrain problems here (Engine, Transmission, etc)

Moderator: Staff

transmission issues on 2001 Rodeo 3.2 V6 2WD

Postby g-spot915 » Sun May 14, 2017 1:09 am

Hey fellow isuzu owners.

I currently ran into an issue today with my 2001 Isuzu Rodeo 3.2L V6 2WD Automatic transmission (4L30E transmission) as i was driving my Rodeo it began to high rev but with no acceleration. When it finally starts to catch it bucks and will either go back to high revs or drive normal-ish. When i first bought her in November she had the same buck feeling but never high rev'ed. I changed the tranny fluid which was a dark brown, and put a new tranny filter. 3,500 miles later its now worse than before. if i but it in low gear and then shift to 2nd and 3rd i don't tend to have as bad of an issue but to much gas and it slips out of gear. Is this a gear issue or could it be a solenoid????? What am i looking at for cost? Just wanna know if its worth saving
g-spot915
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Sponsor

Re: transmission issues on 2001 Rodeo 3.2 V6 2WD

Postby Buster28 » Sun May 14, 2017 5:37 am

g-spot915 wrote: if i but it in low gear and then shift to 2nd and 3rd i don't tend to have as bad of an issue but to much gas and it slips out of gear. Is this a gear issue or could it be a solenoid????? What am i looking at for cost? Just wanna know if its worth saving

The gears in an automatic transmission planetary gear set are in constant mesh so the transmission cannot mechanically slip out of gear. When the engine revs and there is no increase in vehicle speed the clutch that is driving the planetary gear set is slipping.

The 2nd clutch drives the planetary ring gear input, the 3rd clutch drives the planetary input sun gear and the reaction drum brake band (special type clutch) holds and releases the reaction drum sun gear that mates with planetary gear set long pinion gears.

To produce a 2nd gear ratio the 2nd clutch and the brake band are applied. The brake band is also the applied in L (Manual 1st), therefore, if the transmission can accelerate without slipping in L (Manual 1st) the problem is worn out clutch frictions in the 2nd clutch assembly.

You have to disassemble the transmission to replace the clutch frictions so your looking at a $2500 (more or less) rebuild.
02 Rodeo Sport 4X4 3.2L V6
01 Rodeo Sport 4X4 3.2L V6
Buster28
4L30E Guru

Have thanks: 874 times

Return to Drivetrain Problems