1990 Isuzu Trooper Clutch Replacement Help Thank You!

Discuss anything related to drivetrain problems here (Engine, Transmission, etc)

Moderator: Staff

1990 Isuzu Trooper Clutch Replacement Help Thank You!

Postby Inanity71 » Wed May 10, 2017 3:02 am

I have a 1990 Isuzu Trooper with the V6 4x4. Need a clutch and cylinder. Was going to order the parts from rockauto. Was just wanting to pick the brains of people on here for the replacement parts I would need. Seals for anything since I have it out. Just anything I could replace. I haven't done this to it yet. If anyone could give me a heads up on stuff I could replace while it is all apart since no one really has stuff available at local parts stores. Maybe some tips on how you have done it? Any knowledge is appreciated. I would like to order everything at once. Thank you for your input. May you receive an orange for Christmas that I will pick off my neighbor's tree.
Inanity71
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Sponsor

Re: 1990 Isuzu Trooper Clutch Replacement Help Thank You!

Postby gwana66 » Wed May 10, 2017 8:06 am

I would do the input shaft seal on the trans and the rear main seal on the engine - you will never get a better chance. While the trans is down you have a good chance to look for oil leaks on the back of the engine.

Get a quality clutch kit like LUK or Exedy, not the budget brand. Best to have a flywheel too unless you have a handy shop to machine your old one.

What sort of means do you have to get the transmission down?
98 Amigo, 2.2 5sp 4x4, 4.77 gears and factory LSD.
Power nothing - No power windows, no power locks, no power engine. ;)
Even the hubs are manual now.
2003 Grille and headlight swap

For this post the author gwana66 was thanked by:
Inanity71
gwana66
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 198 times

Postby paulevans76 » Wed May 10, 2017 9:26 am

My LUK was just repackaged Valeo parts, so as long as you get something at least mid-grade you'll be good to go. Get one for a 3.1 v6 pickup as it's a hair bigger.

2nd the rear main while you're back there.

Flywheel is probably cheaper to buy than to resurface unless you're buds with a machinist, but it's up to ya. I bought new flywheel bolts when I ordered from rockauto, but the ones that showed up were the wrong size, and the part number corresponded with what was listed on their site, so maybe someone can chime in with the correct size.

I didn't do the trans input shaft seal because I didn't think of it, so I don't have any insight on that one. I did have a leaking cam cover plate on mine and I had to buy a whole lower end gasket kit to get that gasket. Yours should be fine - mine was a fresh rebuild that someone goofed up that gasket.

I'd go ahead and get new exhaust gaskets from the donuts off the manifolds back to the cat. Should be 4 donuts and 1 other. I used felpro, they seem to be doing ok so far, but not many miles on 'em yet.

You could replace the transmission mount and I'd probably go ahead and do engine mounts as well. Both times I've pulled an engine or trans on one with more than 120k miles, at least one was broken. Check the carrier bearing/rubber on the driveshaft - if it's split, go ahead and get that done while you're at it.

*edit: oh yeah, and definitely start soaking everything in kroil or pb blaster or your penetrant of choice a few days prior.

I'll take that orange sliced and on the rims of a round of cold blue moons for the gang here. :mrgreen:
91 SAS Trooper - Neverending tinkering
Semi-hopped-up 3.4 + MUA5 + 3.07:1 low
Waggy D44 Front - 5.38's + RCV's + OX
Rodeo D44 Rear - 5.38's + Detroit
35" General Grabber X3's on Interco Birddogs

For this post the author paulevans76 was thanked by:
Inanity71
paulevans76
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 86 times

Postby Inanity71 » Fri May 12, 2017 11:10 pm

Thank you for the response. The rear main seal can be replaced without dropping the crank shaft? I haven't really messed with anything under there. The only reason why I am doing this is because when I shift to 2nd, 3rd, and 4th my motor revs and doesn't go anywhere until the rpms go back down. I thought maybe it was more of a clutch cylinder problem and while it was down maybe do the clutch considering I have no idea when it was ever replaced plus it might be slipping. Only does it at certain times. I kind of thought the clutch cylinder was leaking air into it. I have a tranny jack I can borrow. I really have no leaks or anything currently. I will look at everything if the rubber is cracked on the various things. Crazy doing something like this and all the other stuff that can add up. Haha. Such is life. Blue Moon and oranges sound great.
1990 Isuzu Trooper
Inanity71
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby gwana66 » Sat May 13, 2017 8:45 am

Air in the clutch hydraulics won't make it slip. Usually any problem with the slave or clutch master will make it hard to release and it will grind gears. That sounds like classic clutch wear and if it has slipped very much your flywheel will have heat glazing.

The rear main seal can be replaced without any further disassembly once the tranny is out. The best method I've found is to drive a self-tapping screw into the body of it and pull out with pliers. You have to be careful not to nick the crankshaft or you'll need a repair sleeve. It's recommended to do this since it's probably never been done and Murphy says it will start leaking 50 miles after you get the transmission back in. And you'll have to pull it out again or the oil will contaminate the clutch. It's a $10 part in most cases.
98 Amigo, 2.2 5sp 4x4, 4.77 gears and factory LSD.
Power nothing - No power windows, no power locks, no power engine. ;)
Even the hubs are manual now.
2003 Grille and headlight swap
gwana66
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 198 times

Postby DSUZU » Sat May 13, 2017 12:51 pm

1. Seal CAN be replaced w/o crankshaft removal. Are you comfortable replacing it? Extreme care needs to be used when removing to not scratch the crank, and when installing to get the seal in straight. Seen a few seals that weren't leaking replaced only to have the new one leak. (I say this not to scare you, but so that you are informed)
2. Trans jack - or floor jack with suitable lift range (big one) and some kind of platform bolted to the lift pad. The tranny is difficult to balance due to the transfer case hanging off the passenger side. I bolted a piece of 2x4 to my tranny mount to stabilize mine.
3. be careful of distributor cap (undo screws and move cap out of the way), heater hoses (they might get tight when rear of engine is lowered), and radiator fan (not so much, but a piece of cardboard between fan and radiator is a little insurance)
4. Top bell housing bolts are hard to get to (mine were - on my V-6 Trooper). It might help to remove tranny mount bolts and raise rear of tranny to make the gap between back of engine and firewall a bit wider (I have big hands). Exhaust will need to be loosened and part of it removed.
5. Keep asking here if you have more questions or run into any problems. Dennis
1991 LS Trooper 2.8 V6 5 speed conversion (Sold)
1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N airfilter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years.

http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=64060

The American dream is getting farther and farther away from the American.

If your wife has 5.00, and you have 20.00, your wife has...25.00

"Water is one of the greatest essentials of life. Without water, you can't make coffee."
DSUZU
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 619 times

Return to Drivetrain Problems