Need help please - '02 Rodeo 3.2L - no power

Discuss anything related to drivetrain problems here (Engine, Transmission, etc)

Moderator: Staff

Need help please - '02 Rodeo 3.2L - no power

Postby seabit » Fri May 05, 2017 9:02 am

Need help with a MAJOR problem with my '02 3.2L.... I'm tired of turning gray(er)... ANY help would be appreciated.

Info:
Approx. 150K miles on vehicle
All Coils - A-OK ; new plugs gapped & installed
Compression - A-OK - all cylinders at upper end of specified range
Fuel system - A-OK now. Pressure was below specs. Pump was in bad shape, so I replaced it (& filter)- all is now up to spec.

The Story...:
Got in to go to work and damn thing wouldn't start. CEL on steady. Did above checks/repairs and it starts now, but idles very rough and has barely enough power to get up the driveway...

CEL on... solid at idle... flashing up to @ 2000 rpm, then alternates between steady and flashing at will for a while, then flashing all of the time. I turn it off at this point to prevent FUBAR'ing it totally.

Timing belt tension pulley bouncing up & down like a mofo. Looks like the timing belt had skipped a few notches... Inspected it - found it had jumped a out of timing a bit. Belt was in need of replacement - done (along with waterpump, TB tensioner & pulley, etc...).
Verified TB was installed correctly - no help.
Doublechecked timing belt install - no help.
TRIPLECHECKED it - no help.

Paid a repair shop to diagnose problem. They verified the timing was set correctly and ran diags... mentioned something about catalytic converter might be the problem (sorry, but it's been a while since all this took place).

Did some digging here on this AWESOME forum, but couldn't find anything that matched my problem exactly. I did find a lot of similar issues, and most pointed toward a sensor being AFU as indicated by the OBDII info posted by frustrated Isuzu owners (like me).

So, I got a decent scantool (typical results from a run below) and was hoping one of you GURU's could help me out. I can supply complete data if necessary.

Intake Manifold Absolute Pressure(psi) 8.0
Engine RPM(rpm) 1107
Ignition Timing Advance for #1 Cylinder(¡ã) 14.5
Oxygen Sensor Output Voltage Bank 1-Sensor 1(V) 0.810
Oxygen Sensor Output Voltage Bank 1-Sensor 2(V) 0.000
Long Term Fuel Trim - Bank 1(%) -0.0
Short Term Fuel Trim -Bank 1(%) -12.5
Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 1-Sensor 1(%) -13.3
Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 1-Sensor 2(%) 99.2

Oxygen Sensor Output Voltage Bank 2-Sensor 1(V) 0.015
Oxygen Sensor Output Voltage Bank 2-Sensor 2(V) 0.430
Long Term Fuel Trim - Bank 2(%) -0.0
Short Term Fuel Trim -Bank 2(%) 14.8
Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 2-Sensor 1(%) 14.8
Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 2-Sensor 2(%) 99.2
seabit
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Sponsor

Re: Need help please - '02 Rodeo 3.2L - no power

Postby Buster28 » Sat May 06, 2017 8:35 am

Did you install the timing belt exactly as shown in this video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4st6CqDGmoc
02 Rodeo Sport 4X4 3.2L V6
01 Rodeo Sport 4X4 3.2L V6
Buster28
4L30E Guru

Have thanks: 876 times

Postby seabit » Sat May 06, 2017 9:19 am

Buster28 -Thanks for the reply and link to that video - that's some great info. I followed timing belt replacement procedure in the manual I have, which - if I remember correctly -didn't require removal of the camshaft covers. I have to go out of town for about a week, but I'll do that soon as I get home on Mothers Day.

In the meantime... Do you see any problems with the OBDII data? Could the O2 sensor B1S2 being at 0.0V cause the symptoms I'm having?

BTW - this is my girlfriends car, and she went and got a new vehicle when this one went down (it was long overdue...), so there's no rush to get it running. I just want to get it running right again so she can get more $$ for it when it sells.

Thanks again, and you have a great weekend!
seabit
Drives on Pavement

Postby Buster28 » Sat May 06, 2017 11:36 am

The B1S2 O2 sensor is monitoring the efficiency of the LH catalytic converter. 0 Vdc indicates some sort of a problem but it is unlikely the primary cause of your problem. I don't know what manual you used to install the timing belt but a lot of them are wrong. Your symptom strongly suggest the valve timing is wrong. Be aware in some cases the pin securing the camshaft drive gear can shear off and cause similar problems. Check out this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=106585
02 Rodeo Sport 4X4 3.2L V6
01 Rodeo Sport 4X4 3.2L V6

For this post the author Buster28 was thanked by:
seabit
Buster28
4L30E Guru

Have thanks: 876 times

Postby seabit » Sun May 21, 2017 1:11 pm

Buster - thanks for the link to the cam gear/shaft pin shear issue. Haven'nt had a chance to get back into the engine since returning home and now weather is not cooperating, but I'll check it out as soon as I can.
seabit
Drives on Pavement

Return to Drivetrain Problems