Transmission slip/shuddering

Discuss anything related to drivetrain problems here (Engine, Transmission, etc)

Moderator: Staff

Transmission slip/shuddering

Postby jgomez123 » Tue May 02, 2017 11:43 am

I need some help with troubleshooting my automatic Transmission. I have an 01 Trooper, Limited. A couple of weeks (2) back I heard a shudder around 35-40 MPH. This would only happen on light acceleration thru that speed range. If I was heavily accelerating thru that speed range, there was no shudder. Then I started hearing it in the mid 50 MPH same conditions as before light acceleration/heavy acceleration. Now, on a cold start, when taking off quickly I get the transmission slipping and then it kicks in. I have no transmission indication lights on in the dash. I have no shuddering or slipping if I start in 2nd gear and manually shift up to drive. I will be checking the fluid level this afternoon when I get home but after that I am not sure where to start looking with all the different components that interact during normal operations.
Red - 1990 Red Isuzu Trooper (Red is dead now)
Storm - 2001 White Isuzu Trooper Limited (Storm)
jgomez123
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 2 times

Sponsor

Re: Transmission slip/shuddering

Postby Oregon RS » Tue May 02, 2017 2:43 pm

Can you describe the "shudder" any better...when I hear the word 'shudder' it translates into more of a feeling than a noise.

When was the last time you changed the fluid and filter ?

When you're checking the fluid level this afternoon, make sure it's not old and thick or burnt smelling.
Also spend some time going over every connection between the transmission and the engine, the frame, and the rest of the drive train to see if anything is loose or missing, or otherwise suspect.

Sludgy fluids or a clogged filter will alter the flow of the fluid like a marble in a garden hose or a blob of hair in your shower drain.
Either system will flow intermittently better if you change the working pressure behind the blockage (starting in 2nd gear and moving up to drive, or applying pressure to your shower drain with a plunger) up to the point where the system becomes completely clogged.

The last vehicle I had with an automatic transmission was my '68 Impala...a lot of years ago, and a very different beast for sure...
Either way, I solved a similar problem by changing the fluid and fliter, and it shifted like buttah after that.

While you're at it, make sure your motor mounts are in good shape too.
I also had a collapsed motor mount on my old truck that would allow the engine to slightly rise up when I got on the gas, changing the geometry between the engine and transmission and stick, and causing some shifting issues.

I'm sure others on here know more about these than I do, but it's a starting place.
Besides, you never know what you'll notice while inspecting your rig every now and again...also known as preventative maintenance!

Good luck
White 1989 RS
Aisin Hubs • BFG All Terrain TA's • Delta 272 Cam • Magnaflow Cat and Muffler with 2-1/4" Pipes • 2nd Gen Rodeo Side View Mirrors • Yakima Bars • and [•]||||||||[•]

Build Thread
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=71799
Oregon RS
Super Trooper

Have thanks: 5 times

Postby jgomez123 » Tue May 02, 2017 3:31 pm

Thanks for the info, I will check the fluid as described.

Maybe shudder is not a good description. It sounds like when you are in too high a gear for the speed you are going.

The transmission had work done to it in the last 2 years and has less then 5K miles on it since then. 3-5 years previous to that, the transmission also had work done to it. The shop told me that they had to rebuild the transmission but I cannot confirm that it was a complete rebuild. I cannot even confirm if they reused the torque converter.
jgomez123
Drives on Pavement

Postby Oregon RS » Tue May 02, 2017 5:10 pm

Whoa, that sounds like a LOT of transmission work in fairly short order for such a young truck.
How many miles on the rig ?
Do you or did the previous owner tow super heavy stuff with it or generally beat the piss out of it some other way ?

I'm gonna have to tap out since I've reached the end of my auto transmission knowledge, but I imagine your description of the engine winding up under load and your info about previous repairs might help other folks come up with some more suggestions.

Good luck man !
White 1989 RS
Aisin Hubs • BFG All Terrain TA's • Delta 272 Cam • Magnaflow Cat and Muffler with 2-1/4" Pipes • 2nd Gen Rodeo Side View Mirrors • Yakima Bars • and [•]||||||||[•]

Build Thread
Oregon RS
Super Trooper

Postby jgomez123 » Tue May 02, 2017 5:25 pm

Thanks for the advice.

The previous owner did tow a sail boat with it and I haven't really towed anything with it and I have owned it for the last 8 years.

I totally agree on the amount of problems. Since I have owned it I really cannot pinpoint any one thing that i can say is the reason for the issue. It only has 156K on it.
jgomez123
Drives on Pavement

Postby cwmoser » Wed May 03, 2017 8:19 pm

jgomez123 wrote:I need some help with troubleshooting my automatic Transmission. I have an 01 Trooper, Limited. A couple of weeks (2) back I heard a shudder around 35-40 MPH. This would only happen on light acceleration thru that speed range. If I was heavily accelerating thru that speed range, there was no shudder. Then I started hearing it in the mid 50 MPH same conditions as before light acceleration/heavy acceleration. Now, on a cold start, when taking off quickly I get the transmission slipping and then it kicks in. I have no transmission indication lights on in the dash. I have no shuddering or slipping if I start in 2nd gear and manually shift up to drive. I will be checking the fluid level this afternoon when I get home but after that I am not sure where to start looking with all the different components that interact during normal operations.

Your description sounds like what is happening with my 2000 Trooper LImited.
But, I would describe it more like a vibration sound.
Occurs in 4-th gear when under load, then transmission downshifts and the vibration
sound goes away.
cwmoser
Trail Master

Have thanks: 9 times

Postby jgomez123 » Wed May 03, 2017 11:00 pm

It is a hard sound to describe. What about when you are accelerating quickly? So I don't have this rattle/shudder/vibration when accelerating like getting on the highway.

So I checked and filled the transmission last night. Slipping in first gear is gone. Still has the noise when lightly accelerating, but only sporadically. The higher gear noise is gone.

Things are looking up.
jgomez123
Drives on Pavement

Postby cwmoser » Thu May 04, 2017 8:37 am

Mine is a vibration sound or buzzing sound when the Transmission is in 4-th gear and starts to be under
load like going uphill. Transmission then downshifts and the sound goes away.
And, it seems like its random - doesn't happen consistently.

-- Carl
cwmoser
Trail Master

Have thanks: 9 times

Postby Oregon RS » Thu May 04, 2017 9:33 am

jgomez123 wrote:So I checked and filled the transmission last night. Slipping in first gear is gone. Still has the noise when lightly accelerating, but only sporadically. The higher gear noise is gone.

Things are looking up.

Hey, glad to hear you're not slipping anymore :occasion5:
Probably wouldn't hurt to change the fluid and filter when you get the chance now that you're not so worried about it coming apart.
That way, you can log it in your maintenance records to keep future changes on schedule.
White 1989 RS

Build Thread
Oregon RS
Super Trooper

Postby jgomez123 » Thu May 04, 2017 9:33 pm

Thats a good point. A filter replacement is on the to do list. Thanks.
jgomez123
Drives on Pavement

Postby thepotz » Tue May 16, 2017 7:37 pm

I read on another forum that this is a classic sign of torque converter failure. The quick fix was fluid change with Lucas transmission fix to thicken the fluid up
89 Trooper 2.6 Everything stock, torsion turn, add a leaf, round headlight grill, custom turn signals, early rims

For this post the author thepotz was thanked by:
jgomez123
thepotz
Drives in Mud

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby jgomez123 » Tue May 16, 2017 7:50 pm

thepotz wrote:I read on another forum that this is a classic sign of torque converter failure. The quick fix was fluid change with Lucas transmission fix to thicken the fluid up

I was thinking that that is what it might be. I guess I will wait to do the filter change until I get the torque converter fixed. Thankfully I/we will have an extra car to move around in within the next 2 weeks, if this fix takes a couple of days.

Thanks "thepotz"
jgomez123
Drives on Pavement

Return to Drivetrain Problems