2000 Honda Passport Trans Rebuild

Discuss anything related to drivetrain problems here (Engine, Transmission, etc)

Moderator: Staff

2000 Honda Passport Trans Rebuild

Postby DIYPerson » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:55 pm

Hello everyone!

I acquired a 2000 Honda Passport 4x4 automatic about 1.5 years ago. Found this site after starting to work on a few things here and there on the Honda and have so far really enjoyed the vehicle.

Until recently, the transmission developed a leak, thus low transmission fluid, some slipping of gears, and now no reverse. I was able to get under and put in several quarts of transmission fluid following many of the recommended procedures found on this site. This didn't do much to help with reverse but did help with the slipping.

I took it in to a local shop and was told the overdrive accumulator piston is the location of the leak and that the reverse clutch plates are burnt to shreds and the rest of the clutch plates are probably sure to follow soon. Thus requiring a new/re-manufactured transmission for great gobs of money. Due to finances, I have to rebuild the transmission myself. I am very mechanically inclined however this is my first transmission rebuild and transmissions, up until now, have been the mystical part of cars that I never ventured into. I will be purchasing a rebuild manual for the 4L30E and I have come across lots of info from folks that have rebuilt this transmission as well.

Now on to my actual question. I've been looking at Rock Auto ( https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/hon ... d+kit,8512 ) and I am just not sure which kit to purchase. I know I want to go through and replace as much as I can without destroying my savings account. Any thoughts on a good rebuild kit? Or maybe a different site to procure the rebuild kits?
DIYPerson
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Sponsor

Re: 2000 Honda Passport Trans Rebuild

Postby CalG » Mon May 01, 2017 8:33 pm

Look for a kit that includes frictions.
http://www.americanpowertrainwarehouse.com/4l30e/
Also plan on a new torque converter depending on any damaged internal parts. Flush the cooler as well.
I had trouble getting the cooler pipes off, and had to buy some replacement fittings.

A rebuild will put you back about $500 in parts. It will really help if you have some sort of press to get the clutch packs apart and together.

For this post the author CalG was thanked by:
DIYPerson
CalG
Has a Trail Truck

Have thanks: 22 times

Postby DIYPerson » Mon May 01, 2017 10:40 pm

Thanks for the info. I was wondering about the torque converter as well. I will add one to the purchase list.
DIYPerson
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby CyrodiilSavior » Tue May 02, 2017 9:06 am

When you do it you definitely should install a shift kit, It'll go a long way to prolonging the life of the transmission, we all know what that 4l30e is like. I posted a while back my process when installing part of a shift kit I got. Since you'll have the whole tranny out you should install the whole kit.

http://www.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=105681

Maybe will help you during the rebuild too. Good luck, its complicated but can be a really rewarding experience.
99 Trooper. Black 170k miles - April 2015 AT Rebuild (Soon to be have 4JG2T swap :wink: )
99 Trooper. Green 240k miles. - April 2013 AT Rebuild/December 2013 Engine Rebuild/April 2016 SUPERCHARGED!

For this post the author CyrodiilSavior was thanked by:
DIYPerson
CyrodiilSavior
Drives on Dirt

Have thanks: 9 times

Return to Drivetrain Problems