TOD transfer case loud thumping noise SOLVED AGAIN #2

Discuss anything related to drivetrain problems here (Engine, Transmission, etc)

Moderator: Staff

TOD transfer case loud thumping noise SOLVED AGAIN #2

Postby ofg » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:22 pm

2004 axiom. Car is making a loud thumping / clicking noise while rolling. Makes noise if its driving, or being towed. Its not the engine, and the transmission is shifting fine, so I dont think its the trans. Im thinking its the transfer case.

If put into reverse, it makes a much bigger clunk, and a slight jerk to get rolling. In forward, it makes a loud clunk click noise with every revolution. Its not tire because it happens about every 1/4 turn of any given tire. Car is derivable, but I do not know if its going to give out completely if I try to drive it home. its about 4 miles away. We tried towing it, but it made the same thump click noise so I figured its getting damaged either way. I just need to know what it might be, if I will make it much worse by driving it home,, what a possible band aide might be?

Car seems to have full power. I dont think the trans or transfer case are slipping. It seems to drive as if no problem,, but the noise is accompanied by vibration. At slow speed its more harsh, like big thumps, and at slightly higher speed(10 mph) its more of a harsh vibration. So what ever is happening, its happening fast. I dont think I would dare take it over 20 mph as is. Honestly, I think any rolling speed even 5mph is doing damage. Its a bad harsh noise and thump.

When I put it into TOD 4 high, it dosent seem to change anything. The TOD lights work, no dummy lights on except for abs,, which Im sure is the tod speed sensor.

What could it be? Transmission, transfer case, u joint, cv axle? Its definitely got a slight slip with every click or thump, like its slips and grabs slips and grabs. Thats probably the source of the noise and thump,, the action of slipping and grabbing. However like I said, it seems to have full speed potential,, not a constant slipping.
Last edited by ofg on Sun May 21, 2017 12:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
ofg
Has a Trail Truck

Have thanks: 7 times

Sponsor

Re: TOD transfer case making loud thumping noise SOLVED

Postby ofg » Mon May 01, 2017 11:14 pm

Solved. It was the front drive shaft where it connects to the front axle. That uses 6 bolts, and 3 plates that serve as double washers for 2 bolts each. So, 1 bolt was missing, and 5 were loose,, and 1 of the washer plates was flipping out and scraping against something,, possibly the diff housing. It sounded like a serious internal problem!

I could not find a replacement bolt anywhere, so just tightened the 5 remaining bolts and saved the double washer plate. On the way home I could not go past about 35 mph due to a very bad out of balance in that drive shaft. After getting home, I located a suitable size bolt, but the hex head was too large, so I had to mill it down to fit. Still needs an exact replacement bolt as the drive shaft is still slightly out of balance, but for now my home made bolt is working fine. Amazing how delicate the balance is on a drive shaft.
ofg
Has a Trail Truck

Re: TOD transfer case making loud thumping noise SOLVED

Postby loopedr1 » Wed May 17, 2017 1:53 pm

thanks for posting your resolve to the problem......check Fastenal for your bolts or a small mom and pop hardware store....just get grade 8 bolts and nuts..
loopedr1
Mud King

Have thanks: 34 times

Re: TOD transfer case loud thumping noise SOLVED AGAIN #2

Postby ofg » Sun May 21, 2017 12:32 am

Solved again. I got under the car to take out 1 drive shaft bolt, and was going to go shopping for a set of replacement bolts. Problem, I couldnt find my t50 torx bit. So,, under the car, and checked out the drive shaft flange, and there was my torx bit, still in the bolt head! Out comes the bit and went for a drive,, no vibration. 80mph on the highway, smooth as silk. The torx bit was enough to throw the assembly out of balance. My home made bolt seems good enough.

Yup.
ofg
Has a Trail Truck

Postby rbral » Sun May 21, 2017 7:42 am

Wow! that's amazing that it stayed in there. You'd think it would just fly out as soon as you got up to speed.

Bob
2002 Trooper
98 Blazer
rbral
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby ofg » Sun May 21, 2017 10:59 am

Yeah. It is very strange. In the whole time that this was going on, I never got past 55 mph, because it was a noticeable vibration. So, perhaps by going faster the torx bit would have gotten flung out, but then ide be out a t50. Happy ending on this one.
ofg
Has a Trail Truck

Return to Drivetrain Problems