Related or unrelated issues? VSS and stalling

Discuss anything related to drivetrain problems here (Engine, Transmission, etc)

Moderator: Staff

Related or unrelated issues? VSS and stalling

Postby bjvista » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:00 am

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the Trooper club here. Just bought a 1993 Trooper S model. It's a 93 so it has some issues. I've rebuilt the PS pump to fix a leak. Replace the alternator since the pump leak had saturated it. My next issue is what my question is about. The CEL comes on regularly and goes off. It's code 24, the VSS. So I'll try to pull that out and clean it and test. Related to that is the speedometer, tripmeter, and odometer do not work. So I'm assuming this is VSS related.

What I don't know is related is this, after driving for 15-20 minutes (warm climate where I live) when I push the clutch in to shift, if I hold the clutch in (for example turning in to a driveway or slowing for a speed bump) the RPM's drop all the way to zero and it will stall. It cranks right back up either with the key or if I depress the clutch and rolling start it.

It is consistently doing this. Is it possible this is related to the VSS?

I also plan on cleaning the IACV to see if this helps. I checked for vacuum leaks but haven't found any but it's possible I could be overlooking something.

I'm just a weekend wrench turner so I'm googling and researching to try to fix the issue. Thanks in advance for your help.
bjvista
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Sponsor

Re: Related or unrelated issues? VSS and stalling

Postby gwana66 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:12 pm

Yes, in manual transmission vehicles, the VSS sends a signal to the engine computer to raise the RPM if the clutch is pushed in and the vehicle is moving. It's common to do a manual transmission swap into a formerly automatic car with an auto ECM and have stalling problems due to not having the code to deal with it.
98 Amigo, 2.2 5sp 4x4, 4.77 gears and factory LSD.
Power nothing - No power windows, no power locks, no power engine. ;)
Even the hubs are manual now.
2003 Grille and headlight swap
gwana66
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 205 times

Postby bjvista » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:17 pm

So this is good news then. If I put in a new VSS the stalling issue (theoretically) should go away. I'll test it and see.
bjvista
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby TyCobb2001 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:37 am

As I found out through personal experience, code 24 doesn't necessarily mean the VSS is bad. My speedo went out and I had code 24. Bought a new OEM VSS from Jerry (cheaper than autozone and gaurnteed to fit), and that didn't fix it. After 2 more trips to the shop having them trace all the electrical wiring, I ended up having to replace the speedometer (again, new OEM from Jerry). I actually got a whole gauge cluster from Jerry. The signal goes from the VSS to the speedometer head unit, and then to the computer. A break anywhere in there will throw the code. If the VSS checks fine, trace the wiring for breaks. Hope this helps.
1992 Trooper S, 3.2 SOHC 5spd. Cooper Discovery H/T LT265/75R16's on stock steel wheels. ProComp ES9000 series shocks. OME 929's in the rear. Environmentally friendly velocity powered climate control. CrossFit window actuators. Custom 3 bar roof rack (soon to be RTT) by Backyard Garage. Sound system by 405 Wind Turbulence.
TyCobb2001
Trail Rider

Have thanks: 19 times

Postby TyCobb2001 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:39 am

And I had a similar stalling problem/drop in rpm when coming to a stop before that. The new speedometer fixed it right up.
1992 Trooper S, 3.2 SOHC 5spd. Cooper Discovery H/T LT265/75R16's on stock steel wheels. ProComp ES9000 series shocks. OME 929's in the rear. Environmentally friendly velocity powered climate control. CrossFit window actuators. Custom 3 bar roof rack (soon to be RTT) by Backyard Garage. Sound system by 405 Wind Turbulence.
TyCobb2001
Trail Rider

Have thanks: 19 times

Return to Drivetrain Problems