MODS please consider...

Check here for periodic posting about the status of this website, or post a suggestion for the website

Moderator: Staff

Re: MODS please consider...

Postby JoeIsuzu » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:49 pm

IsuzuGeek wrote:I think its a great idea. After all, this is called "Planet" Isuzoo, not "USA" Isuzoo. :)

You just made my point that an international section is NOT needed--the entire site is international already.

Jack
Original owner, 1983 Isuzu P'up LS Diesel. Engine overhauled by JLEMOND. Ready for new paint now!
1994 Isuzu Amigo 2wd
IsuzuPup.com
"There are no dumb questions"?! Maybe not...
but there are smart ways to ask. Old, but classic:
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
JoeIsuzu
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 80 times

Sponsor

Postby JoeIsuzu » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:54 pm

Okay, here's an example of the confusion this could create:
Australian user wants to ask how to adjust the clutch on his 4ZD1. Does he post in "International" or in "Drivetrain Problems" or somewhere else?

Second example: Same user wants to browse to see how others have done it. Does he browse "International", "Drivetrain Problems", or "Hall of Fame"? Best answer: Search for "4ZD1 clutch adjust*"

Jack
Original owner, 1983 Isuzu P'up LS Diesel. Engine overhauled by JLEMOND. Ready for new paint now!
1994 Isuzu Amigo 2wd
IsuzuPup.com
JoeIsuzu
Zu Royalty

Postby IsuzuGeek » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:58 pm

JoeIsuzu wrote:
IsuzuGeek wrote:I think its a great idea. After all, this is called "Planet" Isuzoo, not "USA" Isuzoo. :)

You just made my point that an international section is NOT needed--the entire site is international already.

You do make a good point, which made me think of how some other forums (like this one for example: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/ ) have WAAAAAY too many sub-forums....I mean, it's ridiculous. I wouldn't want the Planet to get all convoluted like that.

Bart
:(
IsuzuGeek
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 198 times

Postby JoeIsuzu » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:01 pm

IsuzuGeek wrote:
JoeIsuzu wrote:

You do make a good point, which made me think of how some other forums (like this one for example: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/ ) have WAAAAAY too many sub-forums....I mean, it's ridiculous. I wouldn't want the Planet to get all convoluted like that.

Bart

WOW! Well, that's what I imagined could happen if someone abandoned all restraint in creating categories--but I didn't think it would actually happen! Holy cow!

Jack
1994 Isuzu Amigo 2wd
IsuzuPup.com
JoeIsuzu
Zu Royalty

Postby mustanger999 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:19 pm

I don't want to argue, just to point out search is flawed in some ways. If you type 2.6 in the search function it just ignores it because it is not 4 letters long. I realize I could type 4ze1 but not all posts concerning the the 2.6 have the word 4ze1 in them. So I might miss an important post because someone didn't type in the engine's name, just its size. If any search term is not 4 letters long the search function just ignores it saying it is a too common word. Maybe since Jack doesn't want any categories specific to engines we could just get the search function fixed so we can type 2.6, 2.3, etc.
Truth. The pill that everyone wants, but cant seem to swallow.

Planetisuzoo/Isuzu FB Groups Member map

'89 Trooper RS, 2.6 5spd, Smittybilt rear bumper Sort of build thread

'89 Trooper: 2.6 5spd, Weber 32/36, Round eye swap, 3" body lift, Sliders, Auto-Meter center cluster, Hand throttle. Build thread

SOLD '93 pickup: 2.6 mfi, 4x4, 5spd, Passport Bucket Seats, Intermittent wiper added. Build Thread: forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=72720&p=639130#p639130
mustanger999
Trail Master

Postby IsuzuGeek » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:22 pm

mustanger999 wrote:If you type 2.6 in the search function it just ignores it because it is not 4 letters long.

I completely agree there, that limitation drives me nuts, same with the damn 10 second rule, however I know that is to shut out search robots.

Bart
IsuzuGeek
I am the Stig

Postby JoeIsuzu » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:12 pm

mustanger999 wrote:I don't want to argue, just to point out search is flawed in some ways. If you type 2.6 in the search function it just ignores it because it is not 4 letters long. I realize I could type 4ze1 but not all posts concerning the the 2.6 have the word 4ze1 in them. So I might miss an important post because someone didn't type in the engine's name, just its size. If any search term is not 4 letters long the search function just ignores it saying it is a too common word.

It would be nice if we could get folks to seed their posts with some keywords like "4ZE1".
mustanger999 wrote:Maybe since Jack doesn't want any categories specific to engines we could just get the search function fixed so we can type 2.6, 2.3, etc.

I'm pretty opinionated, but I don't carry any weight around here! :) I'm just opining.

Tad is just sitting back watching all this develop. He's the smart one!

Jack
1994 Isuzu Amigo 2wd
IsuzuPup.com
JoeIsuzu
Zu Royalty

Postby IsuzuGeek » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:42 pm

I think the lack of "stickies" for really common topics is something that has been brought up in the past...

Bart
IsuzuGeek
I am the Stig

Postby drinksoptional » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:48 pm

you dont need a internation section for each drive train thats been anal considering over here in Uk we get questions from all over the wrorld on our forums we dont need a internation section only .
Simple engine question in the right section is enough petrol or diesel not internation petrol diesel

The search function does not cover every thing if i was to search diesel i would get this topic aswell as other diesel topics
ImageImage
drinksoptional
Mud King

Have thanks: 7 times

Postby JoeIsuzu » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:50 pm

IsuzuGeek wrote:I think the lack of "stickies" for really common topics is something that has been brought up in the past...

Bart

Bart, I hear you loud and clear. But here's the counterpoint: on the forum that I operate, we have a sticky topic at the top of the "Parts" category for "Sources for Parts - New and Used". In it, JLEMOND is featured PROMINENTLY as a parts source. But people still post right below it and say "I've looked EVERYWHERE and can't find part XYZ. And very often, it's a part everybody else knows that Jerry keeps in stock all the time. But they've checked "EVERYWHERE". Never fails.

Jack
1994 Isuzu Amigo 2wd
IsuzuPup.com
JoeIsuzu
Zu Royalty

Postby IsuzuGeek » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:55 pm

IMO, stickies should be a page full of info, nothing more. Like for instance, a sticky for 4ZE1 Trooper vacuum routing, and have lots of pictures and diagrams in ONE POST and then the thread is locked. IMO, that is how a sticky should work. Not as a thread people can post on, just a thread with the information needed for the most common topics.

Bart
IsuzuGeek
I am the Stig

Postby drinksoptional » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:04 pm

ImageImage
drinksoptional
Mud King

Have thanks: 7 times

Postby mustanger999 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:07 pm

I like the locked sticky idea. It could do away with a lot of questions that have been answered over and over. Maybe the "Hall if Fame" thread could be changed to Instructionals or Diy and loaded with the best instructional threads for everything we do to our trucks. I never really got why its called the hall of fame.
Truth. The pill that everyone wants, but cant seem to swallow.

Planetisuzoo/Isuzu FB Groups Member map

'89 Trooper RS, 2.6 5spd, Smittybilt rear bumper Sort of build thread

'89 Trooper: 2.6 5spd, Weber 32/36, Round eye swap, 3" body lift, Sliders, Auto-Meter center cluster, Hand throttle. Build thread

SOLD '93 pickup: 2.6 mfi, 4x4, 5spd, Passport Bucket Seats, Intermittent wiper added. Build Thread: forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=72720&p=639130#p639130
mustanger999
Trail Master

Postby JoeIsuzu » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:43 pm

IsuzuGeek wrote:IMO, stickies should be a page full of info, nothing more. Like for instance, a sticky for 4ZE1 Trooper vacuum routing, and have lots of pictures and diagrams in ONE POST and then the thread is locked. IMO, that is how a sticky should work. Not as a thread people can post on, just a thread with the information needed for the most common topics.

Bart

Agreed.

Jack
1994 Isuzu Amigo 2wd
IsuzuPup.com
JoeIsuzu
Zu Royalty

Postby Van » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:38 pm

PST wrote:Gents,
i love all the knowledge on this site but i was wondering if it would be possible to have a international/diesel section while there may be few posts and whatnot i think it might help bring in more members from around the world and most the other trooper forums are weak... so it would be awesome to stay on this great site and get input on 4jb1's and what not.... thanks for the consideration and sorry if it upsets anyone. Just thought it would be beneficial.

happy hollidays :bigsmurf:

-russian

Brilliant idea. :idea:

Devoted to any diesel engine only... every other part of the truck in the appropriate section... what's so hard about that. :dontknow:
Van
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 87 times

Postby JoeIsuzu » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:43 pm

Van wrote:Brilliant idea. :idea:

Devoted to any diesel engine only... every other part of the truck in the appropriate section... what's so hard about that. :dontknow:

Moving all the diesel posts to the new diesel section would be quite a chore. If you don't move them, you haven't accomplished anything that a simple SEARCH won't accomplish. Search on "diesel" and you have your own diesel section in a couple of seconds.

Jack
1994 Isuzu Amigo 2wd
IsuzuPup.com
JoeIsuzu
Zu Royalty

Postby Van » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:51 pm

JoeIsuzu wrote:
Van wrote:Brilliant idea. :idea:

Moving all the diesel posts to the new diesel section would be quite a chore. If you don't move them, you haven't accomplished anything that a simple SEARCH won't accomplish. Search on "diesel" and you have your own diesel section in a couple of seconds.

Jack

You're partially correct. With 9,338 previous posts on "diesel", it would make it a chore, plus so many non related engine posts would show up. :wink: That's why a new section devoted strictly to "diesel engine only", with the designated diesel engine type listed in each "Subject", would make it simpler to search. :idea:

Sure, not everyone is going to follow that rule, (who does follow rules around here?), but a newly appointed moderator (hint, hint Jack) could take care of that problem. Besides, don't you have 2 diesel sections on your website? :lol:
Van
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 87 times

Postby JoeIsuzu » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:27 pm

Van wrote:You're partially correct. With 9,338 previous posts on "diesel", it would make it a chore, plus so many non related engine posts would show up. :wink: That's why a new section devoted strictly to "diesel engine only", with the designated diesel engine type listed in each "Subject", would make it simpler to search. :idea:
True!
Van wrote:
JoeIsuzu wrote:Besides, don't you have 2 diesel sections on your website? :lol:
:lol: Yes, but mine started out that way, along with a complementary "general" section for everything that's NOT diesel related. I didn't do a specifc "gas" (or "petrol") section because when we started, I didn't anticipate a lot of gas participation. At this point, if someone wanted it, I would not even consider going back and adding one, because all the "gas" topics are in the "General" section.

We do have some confusion when people think just because they have a diesel truck, EVERY question (shocks, windshield wipers, turn signals, sun visors etc.) belongs in the "diesel" section.

And again, this is where we all have our say. We can't all get our way. I carry no weight here. If it happens, I've spoken my piece, and I'm done...well, maybe some occasional jabs now and then, but I'll get over it.

Jack
1994 Isuzu Amigo 2wd
IsuzuPup.com
JoeIsuzu
Zu Royalty

Postby soot fart » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:38 am

You'll "get over it", Now that's funny right there. On Isuzu pup.com you "always have it your way"! Having you as our International representative. Ayoto lla Jack. You could clean up the whole world.
Corner the market on Planet, Luvtruk, Isuzupup and 500 club. Wow." If you want to cry about this go to the folks at Isuzupup". hehehehe Jerry
soot fart
Trail Rider

Have thanks: 13 times

Postby JoeIsuzu » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

soot fart wrote:You'll "get over it", Now that's funny right there. On Isuzu pup.com you "always have it your way"! Having you as our International representative. Ayoto lla Jack. You could clean up the whole world.
Corner the market on Planet, Luvtruk, Isuzupup and 500 club. Wow." If you want to cry about this go to the folks at Isuzupup". hehehehe Jerry

Here we go again. :roll:

Jack
1994 Isuzu Amigo 2wd
IsuzuPup.com
JoeIsuzu
Zu Royalty

Postby electricpuppyboy » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:13 pm

IsuzuGeek wrote:
mustanger999 wrote:If you type 2.6 in the search function it just ignores it because it is not 4 letters long.

I completely agree there, that limitation drives me nuts, same with the damn 10 second rule, however I know that is to shut out search robots.

Bart

Just type this into Google:

2.6 site:forum.planetisuzoo.com
-Bob
Image Image Image Image
1988 Trooper LS 4ZE1 mua5 - "Build" Story
1990 Trooper S 4ZE1 mua5 - Being parted out - click for parts
1989 Trooper RS 4ZE1 Auto - gone
1989 Trooper LS 4ZE1 Auto
electricpuppyboy
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 43 times