proud new member!

Say Hi here for the first time. We're all friendly :)

Moderator: Staff

proud new member!

Postby zutopia » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:32 pm

Hello all! I am a proud new member here as well as an extremely happy new owner of a 1988 Trooper LS. It has 107,736 miles on it and it is in very good shape. It is bone stock, all the way down to the factory isuzu cassette radio. I've never owned an isuzu anything before. But I come from a toyota background and am an avid outdoorsman. In my younger days I wanted big offroad tires and rock crawling trail rigs but now I just want a reliable and comfortable fishing and camping rig. I believe this Trooper to be just that! I look forward to browsing this site and reading as much as I can about these vehicles. I have wanted one for years but never pulled the plug on getting one because of the lack of market in America. But this one was too good to pass on. So here I am ready to venture into the isuzu world! Thanks for having me!

Also if any Trooper fans are located in Oklahoma, I'm smack dab in the middle of the state and would love to meet up and talk shop!
Thanks
Charlie
zutopia
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Sponsor

Re: proud new member!

Postby Hack » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:49 pm

Welcome to the Planet. You will find a stock 1st gen Trooper to be very capable. There are 3 things that you should know about the truck.

1. The valves have to be adjusted every 12,000 miles.
2. There were some early casting problems with the heads.

Due to these 2 issues it is a good idea to do a compression test to see if you might have a burnt valve or blown head gasket.

3. The rubber parts are probably suspect. I would pay close attention to the vacuum lines. Brittle vacuum lines can leak and cause all sorts of idle issues, Also the bushings on the leaf springs are probably shot, causing the suspension to squeak and contributing to body roll.
Mario

Daily Driver: 1995 Trooper Limited, Auto, 3.2L DOHC, Rear LSD, HD Torsion Bars, Moog Cc812s, Cooper Discoverer A/T3 245/70-16
Trail Truck: 2001 Amigo, Auto, 3.2L, Rear LSD, Front Aussie Locker, HD Torsion Bars, OME 912s, BFG M/T KA2 33x10.5R15
RIP: 1988 Troop 2.6L 5spd. Burnt valve(s). Damaged frame. Parted out. Sent to crusher.
RIP: 1998 4WD Rodeo, Auto, 3.2L -- Ruined by Daughter #1 with Russian assistance. Parted out. Sent to crusher.
RIP: 1989 Troop 2.6L 5spd --- Stripped of all good parts. Body and rotted frame sent to the crusher.
RIP: 1999 2WD Amigo, Auto, 3.2L -- Engine blown and body damaged by Daughter #2. Parted out. Sent to crusher.

For this post the author Hack was thanked by:
zutopia
Hack
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 119 times

Re: proud new member!

Postby zutopia » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:51 am

Thanks for the info, I do have a high idle issue. But aside from that the truck is in surprisingly great shape. I'm looking forward to learning about these machines. So any and all info is more than welcome.
zutopia
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Return to New Member Introductions