Wheel bearings and Hubs, a few questions!

Discuss anything related to drivetrain mods here (Engine &Transmission Swaps, lift, gearing, exhaust, etc)

Moderator: Staff

Wheel bearings and Hubs, a few questions!

Postby C10r0x » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:17 pm

Hey Isuzoo mates,

I have a 4ZE1 91' Trooper with a squeaky front end, more squeak on the right side but was wondering if this guide would work with fixing it? ( http://www.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.p ... it=Murrell )

I also have issues with my automatic hubs, (Clunking when turning really hard in 4WD) was gonna switch to manual hubs. Need some recommendations for parts, should I go (Rugged Ridge, Superwinch, WARN?). ALSO not sure what to buy yet with the repacking of my bearings. Was gonna do it all at once.

Was also looking at this package to take care of my squeak and manual hubs, ( viewtopic.php?f=2&t=96906 )

Thanks for the help!
C10r0x
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Sponsor

Re: Wheel bearings and Hubs, a few questions!

Postby DSUZU » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:25 pm

Really doubt your squeak is from wheel bearings. While it may be a good idea to service them, if they were to the point of squeaking, the wheels would be about to fall off. Things to check for the squeak: Hood latch (this fooled me once - would have sworn it was shocks. Greased it and squeak went away). Upper control arm bushings. look through fender well at front and back of upper control arm, Does bushing (behind large round washer) appear split? look down from top (under hood) does inside of bushings (towards centers of each other) appear split? Ball joints again, not as likely, but possible. Are boots split or torn? Sway bar bushings are they worn or torn (or missing) Things to check.
Also, any clunking when in 4wd is more likely bad CV joints. With front tires on ground, can you twist the shaft any? You shouldn't be able to. Dennis
1991 LS Trooper 2.8 V6 5 speed conversion (Sold)
1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N airfilter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years.

http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=64060

The American dream is getting farther and farther away from the American.

If your wife has 5.00, and you have 20.00, your wife has...25.00

"Water is one of the greatest essentials of life. Without water, you can't make coffee."
DSUZU
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 575 times

Re: Wheel bearings and Hubs, a few questions!

Postby BigSwede » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:20 pm

If you want bulletproof hubs, go with Aisin or Warn.
95 Trooper LS - 4" lift, 35" tires, 5.38 gears, ARB lockers
Indy4x Revolution 3.07:1 low range gears, Indy4x HD tie rods, homemade sway bar disconnects, Calmini HD sway bars, Darlington diff drop, OME 929 coil springs + 1" poly spacers and 1" body lift, Indy4x HD torsion bars, Indy4x HD rear axle links, Indy4x Kevlar brake lines, ARB bullbar, custom rear bumper with swing-out dual jerry can carrier, rock sliders, Sears Platinum Group 31 battery, ARB mini-compressor, Indy4x kevlar air lines, Warn M8000 winch, Blue Sea 6006 winch cutoff switch, Yaesu FT-1900R 2-meter ham radio, Larsen MHW-150C 1/2 wave antenna, Cobra 18WXST CB radio, Firestik II CB antenna, IPF driving lights, generic fog lights, two (2) Blue Sea auxiliary fuse panels, sleeping platform, and outofrshell Dave's custom 1" shifter extension. (I actually typed this list as a joke but people seem to like it.)
BigSwede
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 244 times

Return to Drivetrain Mods