4JB1 Repair and Swap into Amigo

Discuss anything related to drivetrain mods here (Engine &Transmission Swaps, lift, gearing, exhaust, etc)

Moderator: Staff

4JB1 Repair and Swap into Amigo

Postby mudoilngears » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:56 pm

Hi!

This thread is supposed to be a documentation of my latest acquisition, and its subsequent installation. Two weeks ago, I either did something stupid, or I scored a good deal, time will tell. I happened to come a across a cheap 4JB1 Turbo engine in one of my scrounging of the local classifieds. Now, cheap can be bad, or can be good.
This is what it looked like in the back off the LandCruiser on the way home.
IMG_3471.JPG

And this is how it looks on the floor of the storage building at work.
IMG_3476.JPG

IMG_3474.jpg

IMG_3475.jpg

And the short block in the back of the LandCruiser
IMG_3473.JPG

Now, the story behind this engine...

The fellow that I bought if off, is an older gentleman, stuck me as the honest sincere kind of guy, so I'll believe his story.

He had this in a 1992 Trooper, had it overhauled because it was tired. He spent a good lot of money on the overhaul.
When it was put back in the Trooper, he had trouble with having the coolant reservoir pressurize. He changed radiator cap, then the radiator, and the reservoir. In the end it was pressure from the cylinders leaking into the cooling system. The mechanic pulled the head.

Now, here is where it gets interesting.
The mechanics diagnostic was, that the wrong liners had been installed, and there was insufficient liner protrusion, to seal the headgasket properly, so rather than sinking more money into it, the poor man went a got a 4JG2.
Now, the manual states that the liners can be flush with the deck, or slightly projected, which these are. I haven't yet measured the exact projection. Furthermore, the fire rings on the failed gasket, show over-torque if anything.
Verdict?
Dunno!
Simply a botched head-gasket install?
Liners were not fully seated, and the head and gasket finished seating them, thus destroying the gasket?

I don't know.
Since the head had been checked, and it was not overheated since, and because the headgasket had visibly failed, I will probably skip sending the head off to be checked.

I am still debating whether to go full "ShaggyDoink" on it, or just clean it up and put a new OEM headgasket in, and go from there...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1990 Isuzu Amigo 4X4 4ZE1 engine. Front Aussie Locker, HD Sway Away T-bars,Smittybilt XRC8 winch.
Build in progress...

For this post the author mudoilngears was thanked by:
Ricky
mudoilngears
Expedition Ready

Have thanks: 58 times

Sponsor

Re: 4JB1 Repair and Swap into Amigo

Postby mudoilngears » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:24 pm

Failed gasket.
IMG_3482.jpg

IMG_3483.jpg

IMG_3484.jpg

Head face.
IMG_3487.jpg

And I scored this!
$_57.JPG

Diesel pattern front transmission case for the MUA5!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1990 Isuzu Amigo 4X4 4ZE1 engine. Front Aussie Locker, HD Sway Away T-bars,Smittybilt XRC8 winch.
Build in progress...
mudoilngears
Expedition Ready

Postby mudoilngears » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:34 pm

Houston... We've had a problem...
Watch on youtube.com
Build in progress...
mudoilngears
Expedition Ready

Postby mudoilngears » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:30 pm

Started building an engine stand. Not really very gettable here, so I decided to make one.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg
Build in progress...
mudoilngears
Expedition Ready

Postby mudoilngears » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:51 pm

And I bought an OEM top top mount intercooler...
d1949202-7693-4993-9432-82314552d766.jpg

4eb0e773-fa16-46b6-b77f-a843edf3d528.jpg
Build in progress...
mudoilngears
Expedition Ready

Postby 96TrooperSE » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:17 pm

This should be an interesting thread! So what's the game plan with it? Full on rebuild ?
2000 Trooper Limited: Was 2wd, auto, gas. Now 4wd, 5 speed, diesel.

2001 Trooper S: Castrated and sold.

1996 Trooper SE: Former beaten and battered trail cruiser. Gone but not forgotten
96TrooperSE
Mud King

Have thanks: 14 times

Postby mudoilngears » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:23 pm

Originally the plan was slap a new head-gasket on it, and go from there, but from what I'm seeing now, I will probably do a full rebuild, if the budget allows. Fortunately parts for these engines are easily obtained here, and I was quoted around $700 for the parts needed for a full overhaul. That's non OEM of course, but good quality parts.
Build in progress...
mudoilngears
Expedition Ready

Postby joeshmoe_44883 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:57 pm

Is there a part number on that bellhousing? Jerry lemond told me if i could get a part number he could order one in the states, i have not been able to get a part number for it.
86 Trooper II 4 door 4x4 5 spd with 2.2 Turbo D. Gen 3 rods, getting rebuilt and adding variable vane turbo, intercooler, and some other goodies. cant wait for it to run.
" I think a man only needs one thing in life. He just needs someone to love. If you can't give him that, then give him something to hope for. And if you can't give him that, just give him something to do"- Flight of the Phoenix (2004)
joeshmoe_44883
Loyal P'up

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby mudoilngears » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:04 pm

8-98047230-0 But better wait til it gets here, and I install it, to make sure it indeed fits properly.
Build in progress...
mudoilngears
Expedition Ready

Postby gruff54 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:11 pm

Joe,
I'll take a look at mine, if you'd like. Wouldn't the number on the bellhousing would be a casting #? Would that be the same as the part #?

Mike
'88 Trooper 2.6L 5 spd
'89 Trooper 2.6L 5 spd
gruff54
Trail Master

Have thanks: 52 times

Postby bradzuzu » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:49 am

I wouldn't get to worried yet , diesel Pistons do have a bit of slop because they swell up with the temperature and the top is slightly smaller than the skirt making it look like the bore is loose .. I'd pull one and take a quick look but you might find that it's in good shape !!

I wonder if they didn't retorque or double check the torque ?? Do you have a straight edge to check the head for warpage ?
91 amigo sas toy front leaf- traded off :(
2000 amigo sas d44 wagonear 4 link
custom built buggy ffor the dirty stuff

My build up page
Four link pics
Intake R&R - port and polish

Sometimes trying is all you can do, but when you succeed , that's something to be proud of...
bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 354 times

Postby mudoilngears » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:20 am

bradzuzu wrote:I wouldn't get to worried yet , diesel Pistons do have a bit of slop because they swell up with the temperature and the top is slightly smaller than the skirt making it look like the bore is loose .. I'd pull one and take a quick look but you might find that it's in good shape !!

I wonder if they didn't retorque or double check the torque ?? Do you have a straight edge to check the head for warpage ?

I hadn't thought of piston swell, that may well be it! I don't have a precision straight edge, but I think I can get it checked for pretty cheap.

I do have some wear on the liners, at the very top of the stroke, here's a pic.
IMG_3618.JPG

There is enough wear on that shiny area at the top, that I can feel it with my finger. How does that look to you. Fairly normal?
Build in progress...
mudoilngears
Expedition Ready

Postby bradzuzu » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:26 pm

The big cat engine I'm rebuilding had close to 300,000 miles and the cylinder liners looked very similar , I'm not sure they did a complete over haul on that one ... I guess if you can get a rebuild kit for it and can afford it it wouldn't be a bad way to go... You could rering it as well ... Pull the Pistons and see how they look , check the skirts for wear and stuff ... Any idea on the engines mileage ? You get that ridge up top because the upper compression ring shifts (rocks) every time it hits tdc and travels back down , I'm not sure what the shape (style) of the ring is though , I just know they make like 550 to 650 psi on the isuzus that are used in the hitachi trackhoes , I think they're very close in design...

My build up page
Four link pics

Sometimes trying is all you can do, but when you succeed , that's something to be proud of...
bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby mudoilngears » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:24 pm

bradzuzu wrote:The big cat engine I'm rebuilding had close to 300,000 miles and the cylinder liners looked very similar , I'm not sure they did a complete over haul on that one ... I guess if you can get a rebuild kit for it and can afford it it wouldn't be a bad way to go... You could rering it as well ... Pull the Pistons and see how they look , check the skirts for wear and stuff ... Any idea on the engines mileage ? You get that ridge up top because the upper compression ring shifts (rocks) every time it hits tdc and travels back down , I'm not sure what the shape (style) of the ring is though , I just know they make like 550 to 650 psi on the isuzus that are used in the hitachi trackhoes , I think they're very close in design...

No idea on the mileage. I'm going to pull the pistons and see waht they look like. I'm going to get a quote on parts for a full rebuild, and for getting the head and everything else checked. So i'll have a worst case scenario. I believe this exact engine is used in some trackhoes, we have a Bobcat 843 that uses a N/A version. I'm almosy finished building the engine stand. As soon as I finish I'll tear into it.
Build in progress...
mudoilngears
Expedition Ready

Postby mudoilngears » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:34 pm

And it fits! That's the back steel plate from the engine sitting on top. It fits perfectly!
Build in progress...
mudoilngears
Expedition Ready

Postby mudoilngears » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:25 pm

So I got it torn apart today! Didn't pull the crank, but that's about the only thing left in the block.

#1 Piston
IMG_3744.JPG

#1 Bearings
Bottom one
IMG_3746.JPG

Top one
IMG_3747.JPG

Not so pretty...
Build in progress...
mudoilngears
Expedition Ready

Postby bradzuzu » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:26 am

That's typical wear , doesn't look like a fresh rebuild by any means but it's not torn up , the piston looks strange though , almost like it was running hottter than normal ... how do the cylinders look ?

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby mudoilngears » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:50 am

Haven't had a chance to get a good look at the cylinders. I finished too late.
This is number 3 con rod bearing
IMG_3749.JPG

It looks like the crank is dinged and scored the bearings.
Build in progress...
mudoilngears
Expedition Ready

Postby bradzuzu » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:06 am

What's typical is dabree will pump through the oil and wash through the bearings and stuff causing scratches like that , cold weather startups take a little longer for the oil to flow or low oil levels , things like that ... bearings are soft and designed to absorb particulates , even on the larger engines ... there's still hope the crank is in good condition ...

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby mudoilngears » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:13 am

This is the ding on the crank. Hopefully the crank is recoverable. I will have it professionally checked
IMG_3752.JPG
Build in progress...
mudoilngears
Expedition Ready

Postby bradzuzu » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:19 pm

Looks like a little nick of some sorts , if the journals smooth enough to be polished that little indent won't hurt anything ...

Any update on your progress ?

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby mudoilngears » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:38 pm

Hopefully it will polish well. I hope to take it to the machine shop this week. Talked to a very knowledgeable fellow that has a shop, but it's a bit far. Asked another machine shop that would pick it up here, but they want two arms, and a couple legs.
Build in progress...
mudoilngears
Expedition Ready

Postby Dingbat » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:52 am

Did you need to undo the big crank bolt to get the 3 v-belt pulley off the crankshaft ?
1997 UCS7VF (Rodeo / Passport / Frontera)
Wry Wench build thread
3-inch Calmini Lift Kit, Indy4x 1.5-inch Leaf Lift
Dingbat
Trail Master

Postby mudoilngears » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:57 am

I think not. Trying to remember... I can check later today.
Build in progress...
mudoilngears
Expedition Ready

Postby mudoilngears » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:29 am

Dingbat wrote:Did you need to undo the big crank bolt to get the 3 v-belt pulley off the crankshaft ?

Sorry I didn't get back to you on this. I checked and you only have to remove the four small bolts to remove the balancer.
Build in progress...
mudoilngears
Expedition Ready

Next

Return to Drivetrain Mods