John's 2000 Trooper V8 SAS

Discuss anything related to drivetrain mods here (Engine &Transmission Swaps, lift, gearing, exhaust, etc)

Moderator: Staff

Creating Frankenstein's Monster

Postby Johnthegoon » Sat May 09, 2015 6:32 pm

Ok folks, I haven't been on here in a little while, mostly because I haven't been doing anything to/with my Zu, as it's been mostly dead from a burned out transmission for just about a year, waiting for this day. I'm starting this thread to document what I hope will wind up being a truly monster project with my 2000 Trooper. I have a tendency to over-document and get wordy, so I'll apologize in advance, but I'm expecting this to be a 9 to 12-month project (*edit: HAHAHAHHA), at the speed I work.

Some background. 2000 Trooper with some mild mods detailed in the thread in my sig -- basically a suspension lift and some bolt-on stuff. It's one of the ones that burns oil like a mother, so I have to clean the EGR every 6 months or so. In August of 2013, I towed a 2400lb pop-up camper about 200 miles, and by the time we got there, it had burned through nearly 3 quarts of oil and clogged the EGR again, causing serious driveability problems. As it hiccuped and stuttered down the road, I started daydreaming about an engine rebuild, or maybe even a swap. Got home, cleaned the EGR and all was well for a while.

Meanwhile, a buddy of mine was doing an engine swap on his 72 suburban and had a pretty sweet drivetrain for sale for a pretty sweet price, so I bought it off him and started cleaning it up.. taking my time.

Then in April 2014, we towed the same trailer about 250 miles in a different direction. I still burned a lot of oil, but while we were camped up, I got the tools out and cleaned the EGR for the return trip and didn't get the same problems. Unfortunately, the next morning (after the tow back home), it became clear that the transmission was toast. This was undoubtedly my fault for towing in overdrive. It could move under its own power, but it wasn't really usable anymore. So it's essentially been parked since April 2014.

Part of our master plan for our house/yard has always included a shop building in the back... we had planned to build it about 5 years from now, but when all this happened with the rig, we gave ourselves the go-ahead to start work on it last summer. I don't have room to work on it in the garage, and our HOA wouldn't let me leave it someplace visible for a 9-month project. So I guess the first step in this project was actually building the shop.

280.JPG

348.JPG

It was essentially done in January of this year, and I spent the last few months moving tools, building shelves, doing "moving in" kind of stuff, plus a few other little projects that needed to get done, like repainting this little beer fridge.

510.JPG

But now it's time. The other projects are done, the space is cleared, the tools and shop are ready. I fired the trooper up and limped it into the shop for its upcoming surgery, and here it sits.

566.JPG

Details coming, but I've got the parts and the plan to swap in: Small block chevy stroked to 383 with a Howell TBI, a built 700r4 mated to an NP205, with a leaf-sprung Dana 44 SAS in front. Bumpers and sliders, etc and a paint job. More pics to follow.. Hopefully I live through this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Johnthegoon on Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~~John
Current zu: 2000 Trooper, SAS with V8 conversion, dual battery, homemade roof rack, homemade rear storage, DC-AC inverter, Custom hail damage - Bought in Oct 2010 w/ 151k.
Build threads: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=67783 - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=82355

Previous zu: 1992 Rodeo XS, 4x4 TBI V6 5-spd, Shackle lift and T-bar crank, on-board air. Bought Jan 2003 w/ 161k - given to a family @ church, winter 2006
2001 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
2013 Audi S5
2013 Honda Odyssey

For this post the author Johnthegoon was thanked by:
Ricky
Johnthegoon
Has a Trail Truck

Have thanks: 10 times

Sponsor

Engine

Postby Johnthegoon » Sun May 10, 2015 11:55 am

My buddy and I pulled the entire drivetrain from his 72 suburban about a year ago. It's been mostly sitting in my garage on an engine stand, but I did strip it down, repaint the block/heads/brackets, degrease everything really well, etc. I looked up the casting stamp on the block. It started life in a 1978 Chevy van. When my buddy bought it, it was still stock, in a mid 70's GMC Jimmy. He rebuilt it into a 383 Stroker with a 4x4 cam but left it carbed. It had a minor leak from a valve cover gasket. There's also a bolt hole at the front of the engine that's not used with standard engine mounts, but is a through hole to the oil gallery around the mechanical fuel pump push-rod. He didn't have a bolt in this hole, so the engine was covered in a thin film of vaporized oil. Didn't do any damage, but took a lot of cleaning. This is what I got:

210.JPG

I stripped it down, cleaned and painted things, and put it back together. It started life with a stock intake, I replaced that with an Edelbrock Performer (low RPM range). Still has the late 70's "smog heads," but they're regarded as the "best of the bad heads." I ditched the carburetor and bought a Howell EFI throttle body system. I'm trying to keep the drivetrain as non-electronic, simple, and reliable as possible, so the computer in the EFI is a bit of a step backwards from that goal. The increased economy and driveability, plus not having to monkey with jets and stuff to get into the mountains for camping trips, it'll be worth it.

228.JPG

We don't do emissions testing in my county for inspection, and the rules here for engine swaps are that you CAN put in an older engine than the car came with, IF it's got all the emissions equipment that the original modern engine had. I'm friends with a guy who does state inspections, and they only have to visually verify that the components are present - there's no functional testing. Normally I'd feel a bit hypocritical to worry about air quality when I'm swapping a 3.5L v6 for a 6.3L v8, but as much oil as that isuzu motor burned, and as clogged up as all the emission components were, it might not be much worse. To that end, I'll be using a thermovacuum valve to control the evap and keep it functional, and I'll also run a functional catalytic converter, but the EGR is problematic. The EFI computer listens to an O2 sensor, but it doesn't control timing or know the state of a vacuum controlled EGR valve (which is what these motors had). So when the EGR valve opens, it leans out the mixture. If the system is designed for it, it's great, but mine isn't. The O2 sensor would see lean, dump more fuel, and the timing wouldn't adjust. The techs at Howell EFI said they tried it and the fuel consumption and emissions actually got worse with the EGR. It's gotta be there though, so I fabbed a little block off plate and pulled a dummy EGR from the salvage yard, and I'll run a vacuum line to no where to complete the look.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
~~John
Current zu: 2000 Trooper, SAS with V8 conversion, dual battery, homemade roof rack, homemade rear storage, DC-AC inverter, Custom hail damage - Bought in Oct 2010 w/ 151k.

Previous zu: 1992 Rodeo XS, 4x4 TBI V6 5-spd, Shackle lift and T-bar crank, on-board air. Bought Jan 2003 w/ 161k - given to a family @ church, winter 2006
2013 Audi S5
2013 Honda Odyssey
Johnthegoon
Has a Trail Truck

Axle

Postby Johnthegoon » Sun May 10, 2015 12:27 pm

Finding an axle was actually pretty tough -- Not many trucks had a passenger-drop, 63" WMS Dana 44, and the ones that did are getting harder and harder to find. So it was like a beam of light from heaven and angels singing when we spotted this 1979 Jeep J10 in my local salvage yard... Probably the only J10 for 500 miles or more. Pulled the axle and went back and pulled the leafs the next day.

238.JPG

239.JPG

I have it all disassembled, degreased, cleaned up and wire-brushed. I've got fresh U-joints, ball joints, bearings, etc to make essentially a brand-new axle out of it. The shafts were in great shape, so I just cleaned and painted them. I found some thick 4.30 gears on eBay to match the rear. I haven't set it up or built it yet, but that's coming next.

I also saw this rodeo in the salvage yard.. I wonder if it belonged to anyone we know.
244.JPG
~~John

2013 Audi S5
2013 Honda Odyssey
Johnthegoon
Has a Trail Truck

Re: Creating Frankenstein's Monster

Postby totten » Sun May 10, 2015 7:08 pm

Good start of parts. Thanks for the pics and will be watching your progress.
2004 rodeo 4x4,3.2,auto Calmini 3" lift, Zone 2" Body Lift, 285/75/16 Mastercraft Courser HXT Tires. Cobra 29LTD CB,Transmission cooler,Functional hood scoop,Skyjacker shocks 8000,Swaybars removed.
totten
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 85 times

Postby Johnthegoon » Tue May 19, 2015 12:23 pm

Started the tear-down process the other day. I started by removing as much body work as I could. I was hoping to get the entire front clip off, but after getting the outer fender off, I learned that the inner fender is part of a unibody, so it stayed on.

568.JPG

Then I set about unhooking everything that connects the engine to the body and frame. It actually isn't much. Trans cooler lines, radiator hoses, AC lines, PS lines, brake vacuum, evap line. Lots of wiring harness, but it's all conveniently fitted with big molex-style plugs... all the sensors and whatnot were left hooked up to the engine, which made things much faster. I unbolted the ECU and just laid it on top of the motor, instead of unplugging everything.

IMG_2284.JPG

Next I crawled under and started working on the front driveshaft.. That was a bear.. There's a short thread about it here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=82335

The rear driveshaft came off without much fuss, then it was time to go after the TOD transfer case. The transmission crossmember has to come off (remember to support the transmission with a jack or a stand), along with various plugs. The center console needs to come out, as a few of the connections/bolts are only accessible from the top, and it's a lot easier to wiggle out if you remove the shifter too. It took some coaxing and a pry bar, but after the 7 bolts were removed, it slid back and lowered to the ground on a floor jack. Here's a picture showing the bolt locations.

FullSizeRender (2).jpg
~~John

2013 Audi S5
2013 Honda Odyssey
Johnthegoon
Has a Trail Truck

Postby Johnthegoon » Tue May 19, 2015 1:02 pm

The shop manual says to drop the transmission in order to pull the engine, but I didn't really want to do it that way. We were able to get the engine and transmission out as a single unit; it brought its own set of challenges, but on the whole I think it was easier than doing it in 2 pieces. The fuel supply and return lines have to be removed - there are rubber hoses connected to hard lines at the rear of the transfer case - this is the only fuel line disconnection you need, everything else is attached to the engine/trans combo. I spent a few minutes trying to unbolt the exhaust but finally got the sawzall out instead, and cut the pipes forward of the cats. I'm replacing the exhaust anyway. Along the same lines, I cut the wires to the two upstream O2 sensors, their plugs were impossible to reach.

We used the sawzall to cut the upper radiator support off the body. I'll thank myself when we're doing fitment of the V8, and I'll weld it back in place later; the engine/trans combo won't come out as a unit with that bodywork piece in place. I preemptively removed the EGR valve, it looked like it was going to give us clearance issues, but I'm not sure whether or not it truly would have. We chained up the hoist to the lift points, and the right combination of extensions and swivel joints got the 4 motor mount bolts out pretty easily.

We immediately got stuck in the removal.. the rear of the engine/bellhousing would bind against the firewall long before the oil pan could clear the front axle. We fought with trying various angles for a while, then hit the brainstorm: I got under and undid the 4 bolts that hold the diff brackets to the frame. The axle was still connected at both ends (heck, the tires were still on), but this allowed it to drop and rotate forward just enough that the oil pan cleared and the whole thing lifted out.

Here sits the motor and transmission

FullSizeRender (9).jpg

and here sits the empty boiler room

FullSizeRender (3).jpg
~~John

2013 Audi S5
2013 Honda Odyssey
Johnthegoon
Has a Trail Truck

Postby Johnthegoon » Tue May 19, 2015 1:11 pm

I spent a few hours the other day stripping down the IFS stuff from the frame. I got the hubs and axle out, the steering knuckles/spindles, the torsion bars, the ball joints and lower control arms, all the brake components, stabilizer bar, shocks, steering idler. I need to find/borrow a tool to separate the center link from the pittman arm -- my puller kept slipping off and the hammer isn't getting it done, so the center link is still connected, and I ran out time before I got to the upper A-arms.. So once those are out, and the brake hose and ABS sensor wires are disconnected, I'll be spending many an hour with my grinder, cleaning off the welded points from the frame.

FullSizeRender (7).jpg

This is where it currently sits - hopefully I get something done later this week, but it's shaping up to be busy at work and around the house.
~~John

2013 Audi S5
2013 Honda Odyssey
Johnthegoon
Has a Trail Truck

Postby totten » Mon May 25, 2015 8:27 pm

Looking good. Hope you are not flooded out right now. Weather bad for Texas. Thanks for pictures,Tony
2004 rodeo 4x4,3.2,auto Calmini 3" lift, Zone 2" Body Lift, 285/75/16 Mastercraft Courser HXT Tires. Cobra 29LTD CB,Transmission cooler,Functional hood scoop,Skyjacker shocks 8000,Swaybars removed.
totten
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 85 times

Postby Jem Andes » Wed May 27, 2015 6:35 am

Looks like a good start to the project!

I'm subscribed!
Jem Andes
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 46 times

Postby bradzuzu » Wed May 27, 2015 11:30 am

I'm lookin forward to your project John !!

Sbc's are my favorite engines too !!
91 amigo sas toy front leaf- traded off :(
2000 amigo sas d44 wagonear 4 link
custom built buggy ffor the dirty stuff

My build up page
Four link pics
Intake R&R - port and polish

Sometimes trying is all you can do, but when you succeed , that's something to be proud of...
bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 375 times

Re: Axle

Postby T89 » Sat May 30, 2015 1:16 am

[quote="Johnthegoon"]
I also saw this rodeo in the salvage yard.. I wonder if it belonged to anyone we know.
244.JPG
[/]

Probably worth checking for any good aftermarket parts like springs/torsion bars/heavy duty tie rods/etc. given the Independent 4x4 sticker.
1989 Isuzu Trooper 2.6 5-Speed
T89
Mud King

Have thanks: 27 times

Postby Johnthegoon » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:57 pm

Haven't had much time to work on it lately, too many other things building up to take care of first. But I did make a start on getting the IFS brackets off. I used up a bunch of grinding wheels and broke a few sawzall blades without making much progress. When my buddy heard about that, he showed up with a flame thrower. It was actually an acetylene torch, but man it made quick work of those brackets. In about 6 hours, we had accomplished what would have taken me weeks with the grinder.

torch3.jpg

FullSizeRender_1.jpg

I need to take off the steering box to access the last few bits to torch off, then just grind flat on the gouged-out welds. Then flap-disc the front part of the frame all clean and shiny, and get some cardboard to template for the 3/16" to plate the frame.
~~John

2013 Audi S5
2013 Honda Odyssey
Johnthegoon
Has a Trail Truck

Postby bradzuzu » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:55 pm

Good progress dude !! That was really nice if your buddy to bring over his torch set ...

My build up page
Four link pics

Sometimes trying is all you can do, but when you succeed , that's something to be proud of...
bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby wvopowered » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:08 am

I will be watching this I also have a sbc with a set of vortec heads that I was thinking of building a v8 rail with but maybe it will be going in the passport/rodeo.
wvopowered
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Johnthegoon » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:12 am

If it wasn't for him, I'd have sold this thing or parted it out when the transmission went south. He was the one that built the drivetrain, helped me pull and build the axle... He's like a savant for 4x4's, it's his therapy and his only hobby. None of his trucks keep their engines or axles for more than a year before he tears it all out and rebuilds it even stronger. I was a bit gratified that as he was cutting this stuff out, he kept griping that the Isuzu robots sure did weld this thing together really strong. With the fully boxed frame, the rear axle about Dana 60 equivalent, and everything else, I've surprised him a few times on how tough this truck is. He's used to chevys and jeeps, though. His last project was a 70's Jimmy; it had a Dana 60 front, a Dana 80 (out of a military aircraft tug vehicle) rear, NV4500 and NP205, riding on 44's. Wish I had a picture of it. Anyway, he's a good friend to have.
~~John

2013 Audi S5
2013 Honda Odyssey
Johnthegoon
Has a Trail Truck

Postby Jem Andes » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:40 am

Looking good man! I'll be watching the progress!
Jem Andes
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 46 times

Postby cptcljerjr » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:29 am

the trooper will be a beast with a 383 stoker motor !
Carl
Veteran
Albany, NY, USA
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2528787/2 ... u-trooper/
"Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night
because rough men stand ready
to do violence on their behalf."
cptcljerjr
Loyal P'up

Have thanks: 6 times

Postby Johnthegoon » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:17 am

That's what I'm hoping. I haven't done a minute's work on it in about 3 weeks.. Yard/garden work, helping at my kids' VBS program, other projects (a hoist for the garage loft and some display racks for fireworks this weekend) have been sucking up all my time. Plus my friend that's helping me with all this just had a new baby AND they're in the process of moving from one house to another in the same neighborhood - so he's got NO spare time and I'm trying to help them get moved... Oh well, I'd love to be making more progress, but there's no real deadline for the project.
~~John

2013 Audi S5
2013 Honda Odyssey
Johnthegoon
Has a Trail Truck

Postby cptcljerjr » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:57 am

time is on your side
but it will be awesome to have a 350-400HP Trooper that can smoke cars ( and other SUVs)
I had a 78 camaro and I was looking into a crate 383 Stroker.
Carl
Veteran
Albany, NY, USA
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2528787/2 ... u-trooper/
"Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night
because rough men stand ready
to do violence on their behalf."
cptcljerjr
Loyal P'up

Have thanks: 6 times

Postby Johnthegoon » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:32 pm

I haven't made any significant progress in a long time. The dead of summer makes it a little miserable to work during the day, and lots of other projects all started happening at the same time. Been working my butt off around the house, just not on the trooper. I did manage to finish stripping the frame with the OA torch, everything's ground and stripped all nice and shiny virgin metal. I dragged out the leafs and burned the old bushings out and cleaned them up a bit. Ordered leaf and shackle hangers from Ruff Stuff and have begun roughing out locations. It looks like I'll have to strengthen (box) and extend the frame forward a few inches for the length of the leafs. I think Wrangler leafs are a little shorter, but the ride is going to suck enough already. No pictures of this yet.

I've been collecting amazon boxes to get some cardboard to template the cuts for the frame plating, but now my plasma cutter is acting up, I can't get it to arc and I don't know why.

Spent the better part of Thursday getting the axle rebuilt. Removed the 3.54 gear set it came with and installed the 4.30's I got off eBay. I am shocked (no, SHOCKED) at how smooth it went. Careful MacGuyvering with the shop press left me with usable setup bearings, and I think it required a total of 3 shim swaps. Starting from the original measurements, I had zero backlash. Swapping a single shim left it perfectly in spec. We patterned it there and the pinion was a little too close. Another shim swap in the pinion depth pack and it patterned perfect AND kept backlash in spec. I've never had one fall together that fast.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Locating and mounting that thing is next, then fitting the engine, then saying a few prayers while we try to solve the steering. Any advice from someone who's done this?
~~John

2013 Audi S5
2013 Honda Odyssey
Johnthegoon
Has a Trail Truck

Postby bradzuzu » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:18 am

The steering isn't to bad , what needs to be done is clean the inner corner of the frame so it's square ish then put in a small piece of angle to fill it back in , then move the steering box forward as far as you can and flatten it out ... The u joint angle will be steep but it will work just fine .. To connect up the drag link get a Chevy drag link end as they are 2-3"s linger and long slot for travel , I put it on the pitman arm side ... You might have to lengthen the pitman arm to get maximum steering as well ...

Any progress is good progress !!

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby Johnthegoon » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:29 pm

I guess it was wishful thinking to leave the factory bracket in place for the steering box, huh? Guess I'll cut that off.

Is this the corner you're talking about squaring off? Taking that rounded bracing out?
image.jpg
~~John

2013 Audi S5
2013 Honda Odyssey
Johnthegoon
Has a Trail Truck

Postby bradzuzu » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:15 am

Yep !! I'm not sure if the late model trooper frame has more room than the amigo frame but most likely you'll need every bit of room... Get some tube to use as new mount holes so the frame won't crush, the bottom bolt will go under the frame ..

My build up page
Four link pics

For this post the author bradzuzu was thanked by:
Johnthegoon
bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby Johnthegoon » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:19 am

Slowly but surely making progress.. I managed to get the plasma working again (actually, I didn't, it just magically decided to start working again.. I'll take it) and cut some 3/16 plate to reinforce the frame from just under the door hinges (actually the body mount point there) up to the front end. I used cardboard to template, and traced some welding reinforcement holes out of various sizes of sockets and a smaller spray can. Remember no sharp edges, straight lines, or points in your plates. Don't want any areas where force can concentrate to break welds.

IMG_2402.JPG

I used a "Rapid Strip" wheel to finish cleaning the frame.. Man I LOVE this thing. Grime, rust, 15-year-old frame paint all just flew away like wiping off a dry-erase board. The finish it leaves is similar to what you'd get with a flap-disc, but without the material removal. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00939 ... ge_o07_s00

I torched off the steering box bracket, ground it smooth and then stripped everything with that wheel.

IMG_2404.JPG

After seeing some of my gouges, I filled in the frame with some fresh welds and flap-disc'ed it back smooth.. Didn't get any pictures of that. Next step is getting the axle measured up under it, spring hangers located and attached, then I can get it back down on all fours and start to work on fitting the motor. My little 110v welder isn't up to the task of structural frame welding.. I can't really do that without my buddy bringing over his 180amp unit (and I don't trust my welding enough to stake my life on it). I can keep myself busy for the next little while by getting the fuse-box and stock wiring sorted out a bit better.
~~John

2013 Audi S5
2013 Honda Odyssey
Johnthegoon
Has a Trail Truck

Postby Hatfield » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:03 pm

Awesome, can't wait to see the finished results.

Nice garage too. What size is it?
2000 Trooper - AR5 swap, 4.77s w Aussie & ARB, TeraLows, 285/75 Goodyear MTRs,
Indy4x bumper, OME lift with N85 shocks, 1" BL, TG sliders, M8000, 20" LED, dents

1999 Trooper - parts car or future crawler
2007 Acura TL Type S - the daily
1995 Nissan 240sx - the racecar
Hatfield
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 24 times

Next

Return to Drivetrain Mods