Nasty's Trooper Project

Discuss anything related to drivetrain mods here (Engine &Transmission Swaps, lift, gearing, exhaust, etc)

Moderator: Staff

Nasty's Trooper Project

Postby nasty610 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:51 pm

It's been a long time since I did anything aside from lurk or respond to threads. So I thought I'd start another to document the rebuild of my engine and any eventual projects I come up with.

Last fall I decided to do a fluid flush on my 4l30. Unfortunately all the crap floating in the fluid was the acting friction material and the since the new fluid was.....well new, 50 miles later I had 1st, sometimes 2nd, 3rd rarely and 4th came and went as it pleased. During the trans swap my buddy pointed out he could turn my engine over with one hand using the flex plate. A quick compression check showed 4, 5 & 6 had 120 PSI or less. At least I now knew why my throttle pedal only increased the noise coming from the engine but didn't give me anymore power. I didn't bother with the other 3 cylinders because the FSM states that any cylinder below 128 PSI requires an engine tear down.

Since I still drive my Trooper on the rare occasion I decided to just buy a junk yard engine. My mechanic tossed a started on it and did a quick compression check. Cylinders 1 ,2 & 3 had 30-80 PSI. I had several very colorful words to say. It came with a warranty and I probably should have taken it back but it only cost me $200 including the gas to go pick it up. So I set about ordering all the parts needed for a rebuild. Most of the parts came from eBay. I'm still debating on whether to use the HG that came in the eBay gasket kit or pick up a set from Fel-Pro.

Just so everyone knows these engines are heavy. My neighbor helped me unload my JY engine from the back of my Trooper and hang it on the engine stand. It only took the two of us but it was a retarded idea to have it loaded in the back of my Trooper and then have 2 guys pick up a fully dressed engine. My wife got a very good laugh watching us struggle with the stupid thing

Once the engine was hung it only took my 2 hours to strip the intake, exhaust, fuel and ignition system off. It would have gone a lot quicker if I hadn't take a few pictures and didn't have to dig around my shed to find tools. I still need to find the right socket to get the harmonic balancer off but I ran out of time before heading to work. I didn't take any pictures of the engine hanging on the stand but I did take some of the intake and exhaust ports.

This is one port on each side of the Lower Intake Manifold. The screw driver is 2.5mm at the tip. The port mating surfaces are mismatched so badly the screw driver tip only covers half the area. Each port looked the same.
Top of Lower Intake Manifold
IMG_0183.JPG

Bottom of Lower Intake Manifold
IMG_0190.JPG

Here is a couple shots showing all the ports have the same mismatch.
IMG_0188.JPG

IMG_0189.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by nasty610 on Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1996 Isuzu Trooper Base model
Front t-bar crank, Rear lifted with 1st gen Grand Cherokee Coils, Cooper Discovery AT3 265/75R16
1991 Trooper Base Model
HD Sway-a-Way torsion bars, Sweet Camo Paint(adds 50 hp), Snowflakes w/ Firestone Destination LE2 265/75r16
Lift Coil Spring Options
Add-a-Leaf kits and Part Numbers
Longer Shocks for your Lifted Isuzu

For this post the author nasty610 was thanked by:
TyCobb2001
nasty610
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 199 times

Sponsor

Re: Nasty's Trooper Project

Postby nasty610 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:56 pm

Surprisingly the Upper Intake Manifold ports match very closely.
IMG_0184.JPG

IMG_0185.JPG

Here's a on of all 6 injectors. If you look on the upper lip there is a good bit of carbon build up. That section of the injector is oriented towards the head and is shrouded by the injector bung. I didn't notice it when I changed the injectors in my "running" engine.
IMG_0191.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Front t-bar crank, Rear lifted with 1st gen Grand Cherokee Coils, Cooper Discovery AT3 265/75R16
1991 Trooper Base Model
HD Sway-a-Way torsion bars, Sweet Camo Paint(adds 50 hp), Snowflakes w/ Firestone Destination LE2 265/75r16
Lift Coil Spring Options
nasty610
Zu Royalty

Postby nasty610 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:01 pm

When I was taking the manifolds off I was expecting very bad port matching after seeing the intake manifold. I was pretty surprised that they aren't that far off. They could use a little work but at least there's enough material to match the ports.

Close up Right Manifold
IMG_0192.JPG

Whole Right Manifold
IMG_0193.JPG

Whole Left Manifold
IMG_0195.JPG

Right Head Exhaust Ports
IMG_0196.JPG

Close Up Right Head Exhaust Port with 2.5mm screw driver
IMG_0197.JPG
1991 Trooper Base Model
Lift Coil Spring Options
nasty610
Zu Royalty

Postby nasty610 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:27 pm

I noticed a couple things when looking at the valve train. I'll get pictures posted later since I forgot to take them.

1. I have a couple rockers that are not touching the camshaft when the valves are closed. Is this normal? All the rockers feel tight when I push on them and there doesn't appear to be any abnormal wear on the camshaft itself.

2. It appears that Isuzu used 2 different profiles on the exhaust lobes. On the same cylinder one exhaust lope is pointed while the other is quite fat and rounded. Has anyone noticed this before? I've never seen it referenced and I didn't see anything about it in the FSM.
1991 Trooper Base Model
Lift Coil Spring Options
nasty610
Zu Royalty

Postby nasty610 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:06 pm

Well it's been a couple weeks since I posted anything on this. Working 2 jobs sucks. Anyways I have the engine torn down to the block and rotating assembly. Hopefully I'll have time this weekend to finish tearing it down. Found a few more parts that I'll have to replace. Both the intake rocker shafts are trash. You can actually see the steps worn into them with the naked eye. The oil ports on them were all clogged as well so it's no surprise the amount of damage. All my sub exhaust rockers worn out as well. Surprisingly the intake rockers were all good. I found this a little odd since they ride on the same shaft as the sub rockers. I have no idea on my camshafts. They have some odd wear patterns from the excessive clearance to the rocker arms. I don't have the tools to measure them properly. Hoping the machine shop can do that. I'll get some pictures of everything post later on.
1991 Trooper Base Model
Lift Coil Spring Options
nasty610
Zu Royalty

Postby Wolffarmer » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:40 am

This sounds like an interesting thread to follow.
Wolffarmer
Drives on Dirt

Have thanks: 7 times

Postby nasty610 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:25 pm

As promised pictures of my intake rocker shafts. I only took a couple close ups to show the damage that occurred. Same damage was present on every single sub rocker point. All of the oil holes on the sub rockers were clogged with grit and metal shavings. The intake rockers points were partially clogged. If you guys want some better pictures let me know. The shadows make it hard to see the steps ground into the shaft.

IMG_0275.JPG

IMG_0274.JPG
Last edited by nasty610 on Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1991 Trooper Base Model
Lift Coil Spring Options
nasty610
Zu Royalty

Postby nasty610 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:27 pm

In these pictures you can see vertical scoring on the cylinder walls. This could probably be honed out but I'm having this engine bored 1mm O/S.

IMG_0267.JPG

IMG_0268.JPG

IMG_0269.JPG
1991 Trooper Base Model
Lift Coil Spring Options
nasty610
Zu Royalty

Postby nasty610 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:32 pm

The same vertical scoring is present on 4-6. Scoring appears to be roughly mid way through the piston stroke on the outboard side.

IMG_0270.JPG

IMG_0271.JPG

IMG_0272.JPG
1991 Trooper Base Model
Lift Coil Spring Options
nasty610
Zu Royalty

Postby nasty610 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:36 pm

Last picture for the day. The oil that was still present in the block was super thick almost like gear oil. Pretty sure it was gear oil since it had that distinct smell. I popped the main caps really quick to look at the bearing and journals. They all look good so I'm really hoping I can get away with standard bearing and not having to grind the crank.

IMG_0266.JPG
1991 Trooper Base Model
Lift Coil Spring Options
nasty610
Zu Royalty

Postby pepegurr » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:41 pm

As far as the head gasket goes, talk to JLEMOND and get the factory upper set. I went the way of feel pro when I rebuilt mine on to have both head gaskets pop in the exact same place after 750 miles. Also, make sure you replace the head bolts, I checked the length on mine after teardown(all except the two that broke off in the block) and they varied in length up to 5mm. All my other parts(gaskets, lifters,etc) came from clegg engine and are all top quality. Look into port matching your intake too, I noticed a drastic increase in throttle response on my trooper when I did mine while it was all apart and even though some of it could be attributed to a fresh engine I can't imagine that all of it is from just a stock rebuild.
pepegurr
Drives on Gravel

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby nasty610 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:35 pm

I looked up the Fel-Pro and they are listed as molded rubber. The gaskets that came in the kit I bought are graphite like the OE ones. I think I'm going to chance the ones that came in my kit. Couldn't agree more on replacing the head bolts. The factory bolts are torque to yield so they are supposed to stretch during installation.

I'm going to try to match the ports on the intake manifold. If I have time I'm going to port the head as well and as much of the exhaust manifolds as I can reach. I don't think I'll see any power increases from the porting because I have no way to adjust the fuel for the increase flow. It should increase engine efficiency and throttle response by a good margin. Hopefully I see an improvement in MPG's as well but I'll be happy if it averages 17 on the highway.

While everything is apart I'm going to see about an offset crank key while I'm at it too. I'd like to shift the available power down in the RPM range a little to better match transmission shift schedule.
1991 Trooper Base Model
Lift Coil Spring Options
nasty610
Zu Royalty

Postby nasty610 » Fri May 08, 2015 1:56 pm

Dropped the heads, block and rotating assembly off at the machine shop yesterday. They told me roughly a week to bore/hone the block and rebuild the heads. Hopefully late next week I'll be able to start assembling the engine. I'll get pictures of the new and cleaned parts up as soon as I get them home.
1991 Trooper Base Model
Lift Coil Spring Options
nasty610
Zu Royalty

Postby nasty610 » Thu May 21, 2015 3:38 pm

Still haven't gotten my engine back from the shop. The crank is good but they still haven't worked on the block. I decided to take a different route with the heads. After seeing that rocker arms and shafts we're going to run me 400+ before shipping I decided to do a DOHC swap. As far as I can find no ones done this swap on the 96-97 OBD2 trucks. I'll make sure to document the swap in case someone else wants to do it. The new heads are sitting at the shop now so hopefully I can get it all back before the weekend.
1991 Trooper Base Model
Lift Coil Spring Options
nasty610
Zu Royalty

Postby nasty610 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:39 am

Between work, moving and my recently acquired 1st gen I haven't had any time to work on this project. This is back on top of the list though since I can't really work on the 1st gen without having a daily driver. I was hoping to get more done but my helper was tired and didn't want any part of it so I only got the rotating assembly together. There were a couple things I noticed once I got the block out of the wrapping. First off the machine shop did a crappy job cleaning it. Second even with the 1 mm over pistons the scratches in the bores were still visible. I can't catch my nail on them or even feel them so I'm not going to worry about it. No pictures of the scratches.

IMG_0483.JPG

IMG_0479.JPG

IMG_0481.JPG
1991 Trooper Base Model
Lift Coil Spring Options
nasty610
Zu Royalty

Postby nasty610 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:05 am

By the time I started installing pistons my helper was getting up every 10 minutes or so wanting to go home. Unfortunately I don't have a garage anymore so I'm working out of a storage unit. Since it was hot and my helper needed a nap where it wasn't 90+ degrees I skipped pictures of the pistons going in. Didn't miss much though just lots of lube, a piston ring compressor and using the rubber end of a hammer to push the pistons into their respective bores. My lower thrust washer managed to pop out while installing #5 though so I'll end up removing the #3 main cap to reinstall it. No pictures of that either.

IMG_0480.JPG

IMG_0482.JPG

IMG_0484.JPG
1991 Trooper Base Model
Lift Coil Spring Options
nasty610
Zu Royalty

Postby Wolffarmer » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:41 am

I have used Lubriplate for years also. No Cat mechanic here just a shade tree kind of one. I know there are other names of assembly lube out there but I still trust Lubriplate.
Wolffarmer
Drives on Dirt

Postby nasty610 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:20 pm

Been awhile since I've done or posted anything on this project. Between work, my kids and the wife's schooling I just haven't had any time. Anyways went over to the storage unit today and finished up the bottom end. Got the oil pump, oil pick up and rear main seal installed and torqued. The flywheel got hung today as well but I didn't torque it. The white/green stuff you see in the cylinders is a mixture of Lubriplate and Lucas assembly lube. Since I had to spin the engine a few times to get the flywheel bolts somewhat tight I decided to squirt some of the Lucas lube in the cylinders.

I was going to install the heads but the new head bolts were in my other Trooper, ironically the same Trooper this engine is being built for. Later this week I'll grab the bolts and get the heads installed along with the timing set and water pump. I'm sure the heads will present a couple problems since I'm swapping a set of DOHC heads onto my OBD2 engine. It looks like everything lines up but the cam position sensor requires the front cover to positioned a certain way and the DOHC heads are shorter than the SOHC heads. Anyways I'll get make sure to get some pictures and fixes for anything I find.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
1991 Trooper Base Model
Lift Coil Spring Options
nasty610
Zu Royalty

Postby DSUZU » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:20 pm

Build is looking good. Somehow, I missed this back when you started. Dennis
1991 LS Trooper 2.8 V6 5 speed conversion (Sold)
1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N airfilter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years.

http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=64060

The American dream is getting farther and farther away from the American.

If your wife has 5.00, and you have 20.00, your wife has...25.00

"Water is one of the greatest essentials of life. Without water, you can't make coffee."
DSUZU
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 577 times

Postby nasty610 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:35 pm

Really miss my garage. I'd have this thing done by now if I wasn't working out of a storage unit. Biggest hurdle is going to be actually installing the engine once it's completed. I don't have anywhere right now to do the swap and I really don't have the room for a boost. The easy solution would be to pay a shop to do it but I really don't have the cash for that right now.
1991 Trooper Base Model
Lift Coil Spring Options
nasty610
Zu Royalty

Postby bradzuzu » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:59 pm

Finally caught up with what you've been up too ... On the cam lobes it sounds like you have a flat cam lobe unfortunately ... What year is this motor ? It looks just like the late model engine , I'd like to see a piston if you got any pics before installing them ...

At least now I'm subscribed !!
91 amigo sas toy front leaf- traded off :(
2000 amigo sas d44 wagonear 4 link
custom built buggy ffor the dirty stuff

My build up page
Four link pics
Intake R&R - port and polish

Sometimes trying is all you can do, but when you succeed , that's something to be proud of...
bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 354 times

Postby nasty610 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:00 pm

I didn't take any pics of the Pistons before installation. They looked exactly like the new 98+ pistons I've seen pictures of. From what Jerry told me they have a different pin height so they aren't interchangeable. This engine was out of a 96-97 Rodeo and it's going into my 96 Trooper.

I was thinking the same thing about the cam lobe. After seeing the $400 bill for just sub rockers and intake shafts I decided to try swapping on a set of 94 DOHC heads. So far everything lines up but I still need to mount the coil packs. I'm curious if the cam sensor will be in the right location but I need to get the heads bolted down to figure that out.
1991 Trooper Base Model
Lift Coil Spring Options
nasty610
Zu Royalty

Postby bradzuzu » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:45 am

I was just staring at a 3.2 in a 94 trooper about ten minutes ago :) , I'm trying to save a member from having to get rid of his rig ... Things are looking up !!

Justin did a dual head cam setup in his rodeo , it should work .. Then run the sohc intake and it'll get it on !!
91 amigo sas toy front leaf- traded off :(
2000 amigo sas d44 wagonear 4 link
custom built buggy ffor the dirty stuff

My build up page
Four link pics
Intake R&R - port and polish

Sometimes trying is all you can do, but when you succeed , that's something to be proud of...
bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 354 times

Postby nasty610 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:22 am

Everyone that's done the DOHC swap has done it on the OBD1 engines. I asked Jerry about doing it on an OBD2 engine and he wasn't sure if it could be done because of the cam sensor. So I'm playing guinea pig to see if it can be done and what's needed to make it work. There's the little detail of mounting the coil packs too since the 96+ motors have cool on plug and the 92-95 engines had remote coils but that can be solved with a drill bit. I was really hoping the 98+ heads and manifold would work but Jerry told me Isuzu changed the head bolt pattern.
1991 Trooper Base Model
Lift Coil Spring Options
nasty610
Zu Royalty

Postby Wolffarmer » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:25 am

It can be done. Real question is difficulty and cost.
Wolffarmer
Drives on Dirt

Next

Return to Drivetrain Mods