It's been a long time since I did anything aside from lurk or respond to threads. So I thought I'd start another to document the rebuild of my engine and any eventual projects I come up with.
Last fall I decided to do a fluid flush on my 4l30. Unfortunately all the crap floating in the fluid was the acting friction material and the since the new fluid was.....well new, 50 miles later I had 1st, sometimes 2nd, 3rd rarely and 4th came and went as it pleased. During the trans swap my buddy pointed out he could turn my engine over with one hand using the flex plate. A quick compression check showed 4, 5 & 6 had 120 PSI or less. At least I now knew why my throttle pedal only increased the noise coming from the engine but didn't give me anymore power. I didn't bother with the other 3 cylinders because the FSM states that any cylinder below 128 PSI requires an engine tear down.
Since I still drive my Trooper on the rare occasion I decided to just buy a junk yard engine. My mechanic tossed a started on it and did a quick compression check. Cylinders 1 ,2 & 3 had 30-80 PSI. I had several very colorful words to say. It came with a warranty and I probably should have taken it back but it only cost me $200 including the gas to go pick it up. So I set about ordering all the parts needed for a rebuild. Most of the parts came from eBay. I'm still debating on whether to use the HG that came in the eBay gasket kit or pick up a set from Fel-Pro.
Just so everyone knows these engines are heavy. My neighbor helped me unload my JY engine from the back of my Trooper and hang it on the engine stand. It only took the two of us but it was a retarded idea to have it loaded in the back of my Trooper and then have 2 guys pick up a fully dressed engine. My wife got a very good laugh watching us struggle with the stupid thing
Once the engine was hung it only took my 2 hours to strip the intake, exhaust, fuel and ignition system off. It would have gone a lot quicker if I hadn't take a few pictures and didn't have to dig around my shed to find tools. I still need to find the right socket to get the harmonic balancer off but I ran out of time before heading to work. I didn't take any pictures of the engine hanging on the stand but I did take some of the intake and exhaust ports.
This is one port on each side of the Lower Intake Manifold. The screw driver is 2.5mm at the tip. The port mating surfaces are mismatched so badly the screw driver tip only covers half the area. Each port looked the same.
Top of Lower Intake Manifold
Bottom of Lower Intake Manifold
Here is a couple shots showing all the ports have the same mismatch.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by nasty610
on Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- For this post the author nasty610 was thanked by: