installing trooper springs into 2nd gen rodeo writeup

Discuss anything related to drivetrain mods here (Engine &Transmission Swaps, lift, gearing, exhaust, etc)

Moderator: Staff

Re: installing trooper springs into 2nd gen rodeo writeup

Postby ZuBrew » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:02 pm

yes, an older trooper would probably have more sag because age and wear.
1999 Honda Passport
2WD / OME 913s / 31X10.5X15 / Gabriel Ultras - SOLD

1996 Acura SLX
G80 / OME 919s / 31X10.5X15 BFG / Aisin Hubs

1994 FZJ80
CDL w/7Pin Mod / OME Med / 285/75/16 AT
ZuBrew
Expedition Ready

Have thanks: 23 times

Sponsor

Re:

Postby superswire » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:19 pm

CatFuzz wrote:A spring compressor is going to be more of a hassle. It's not hard to drop the axle.

I'd be curious to see the results on the Sport. Seems like that's an even lighter rig and the lift is going to be a bit higher.

I used a spring compressor for mine and i can swap my springs in about 30 minutes, granted i have a trooper, but all i do is clamp on the compressor, remover bolts and lower swaybar link bolts, take some weight off the axle by jacking up on the frame until the swaybar and shocks slide off, continue to jack the frame up until the springs fall out, remove your compressors, put them on the new springs and slide them in then reverse the process, nothin to it and you dont have to disconnect more than necissary, although this may be a good time to grease up all your link bushings if your feeling froggy ;-) just my opinion...

I also have my stock springs CHEAp if anyone is intersted...
1999 vx, magnaflow, k&n drop-in, ome coils, 2" diff drop, rancho 9x, Darlington bump stop extensions, tones hidden hitch, reese basket on facory Yakima bars, mb razors w/ 33x12.50 Hercules M/T. (Currently undergoing a heart transplant because she seized up on me)

1999 rodeo ls, mua5, Moog cc784, Reese basket, 31x10.50 and some stickers !

Past zu's: '92 migo, '95 troop, '93 rodeo, '97 passport.
superswire
Trail Master

Have thanks: 4 times

Postby Westsideoki » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:17 am

Please help!! My 2001 Rodeo 4x4, is (scary) to drive.... I've replaced upper and lower ball joints, tie rods and shocks. This thing has soo much body roll its scary. Is there a fix for this, or should I just sell it?
Westsideoki
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby holger » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:49 pm

Start a new thread for that with distinct subject, and with more detailed description of the truck history and the maintenance state. Somebody will help you.
Oleg
Axiom 4WD 2004
ARB front locker; No-Slip rear; bent rear flexible links; TC coils, 2" spacers; extra long shocks; adjustable track bar; IronMan torsion bars; etc
holger
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 42 times

Postby calebduff1 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:55 am

so for this method i take it strut compressors arent necessary? even if im replacing both the springs and shocks? i have an 01 rodeo I'm lifting and would like to do it as cheaply as possible and now that all the parts are in the mail ild rather not pay someone to do the brakes, exhaust and a lift and i have almost all the tools just not a mcpherson.
01 Rodeo,
exhaust, intake, dual battery, 41/2" lift, 265/70r16 falken ATs,
2WD BUT CAPABLE!!!!
build thread: http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=59442
calebduff1
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 10 times

Postby holger » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:15 am

calebduff1 wrote:so for this method i take it strut compressors arent necessary?

Absolutely not. Moreover, I believe that with struts compressors it would take more time than with the described here method. Just follow the instructions. You need just wrenches, a jack and jackstands.
Oleg
Axiom 4WD 2004
ARB front locker; No-Slip rear; bent rear flexible links; TC coils, 2" spacers; extra long shocks; adjustable track bar; IronMan torsion bars; etc

For this post the author holger was thanked by:
calebduff1
holger
Zu Royalty

Postby calebduff1 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:37 pm

awesome thank you! one more question, i got a kit from indy4x and it has the brake extension, so do i need to deal with undoing the brake line? just want to make sure before i go to town on this thing.
01 Rodeo,
exhaust, intake, dual battery, 41/2" lift, 265/70r16 falken ATs,
2WD BUT CAPABLE!!!!
build thread: http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=59442
calebduff1
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 10 times

Postby holger » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:29 pm

Yes, the stock brake line is too short and the stock attachment is not allowing full suspension extension. You have either replace the brake line for a longer one, or modify the attachment point (with the brake extension).
Oleg
Axiom 4WD 2004
holger
Zu Royalty

Postby budmaster_decker » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:20 pm

ok i found 92 trooper uprated springs and was hoping they will fit my 99 rodeo has anyone tried them ?
budmaster_decker
Drives on Pavement

Postby superswire » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:21 am

Spring compressors are like 15 bucks at any parts store, i pretty much had to use them the first time because the jeep springs i used were like 8 inches longer than stock trooper springs eliminating my need for any sort of retainers at full flex. theres noway it takes longer, but i dont reccomend using them if you never had before, if one of them lets loose someone or something can get hurt but as far as time, come on guys, all you have to disconnect is your shock and brake/ebrake lines, clamp spring compressors on and jack the truck up and the old springs pop out, same with putting new back in, clamp em down, slide em in, unclamp, bolt ur shocks back up, crank your tbars, flip your bjs and drive it like you stole it...the process explained is a little better for your average do it your selfer nad will get you more familiar with your ride and everything anyhow.

i agree with the brakeline extension, you cannot run stock lines with extended shocks, only stock shocks...

i never had a coil rodeo but everyone says the trooper springs give you around 2 inches maybe ??? someone actually bought mine to lift thier rodeo said it ave him like 1.5" but i have no idea, theyre really easy to swap, front jeep coils and fullsize truck front coils are some good ones to try if you can come by some cheap but after experimenting, i gotta say calmini and ome make some serisously nice stuff if you have the cash...
1999 vx, magnaflow, k&n drop-in, ome coils, 2" diff drop, rancho 9x, Darlington bump stop extensions, tones hidden hitch, reese basket on facory Yakima bars, mb razors w/ 33x12.50 Hercules M/T. (Currently undergoing a heart transplant because she seized up on me)

1999 rodeo ls, mua5, Moog cc784, Reese basket, 31x10.50 and some stickers !

Past zu's: '92 migo, '95 troop, '93 rodeo, '97 passport.
superswire
Trail Master

Postby ZuminaZX » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:21 am

I got about 1.5" from these. I added dodge daystar 2" pucks and got 2.5". IMHO, you're better off spending the extra $100 for 912/919s and getting 3-4" of lift.
2004 Rodeo 3.5 DI
ZuminaZX
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 22 times

Postby zooguy » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:56 am

okay this may be a silly question ... but is this for the rear only or all 4 corners
1998 dark green Rodeo V6 5-speed 4wd --- my DD
zooguy
Drives in Mud

Postby merlin05 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:14 am

zooguy wrote:okay this may be a silly question ... but is this for the rear only or all 4 corners

Coils just for the rear.

Adjust the front torsion bars to suit rear lift
2001 Holden Frontera S 4x4, OME929 lifted springs & OME shocks front & rear, torsion bar crank , Darlington bent upper link, 31" Federal Couragia tyres, airtec snorkel, ARB bullbar,9500lb winch, IPF 901XS lights, GME uhf radio, 2 1/2" exhaust, extended diff breathers, ARB diff cover, rear draw system, Dual battery system, cargo barrier, rooftop tent, Custom roof console, scangauge II. [img][IMG]http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy299/jimijack05/Twitchespointnshoot574_zps138e1fd1.jpg[/img][/img]
merlin05
Drives on Gravel

Have thanks: 3 times

Postby BroncoDave042163 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:13 pm

I got 2" of lift just putting clamp on helper coil springs over my stock rear shocks and it only took 15 minutes. Don't know what they cost though, got mine for free off a friends Jeep before it went to the wreckin' yard.
'00 Rodeo LS 2WD Automatic 3.2L V-6 IF I CAN'T FIX IT, IT ISN'T BROKE and THE DIFFICULT I DO RIGHT AWAY, THE IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES ME A LITTLE LONGER
BroncoDave042163
Drives on Dirt

Have thanks: 7 times

Postby 02rodeoLS » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:10 pm

I just finished mine the other day, using these instructions for the OME 912 coils. It was a simple project that worked out great, i used coil compressors to help them get in there after i dropped the axle, Anyway the biggest issue i had was getting that awkward bolt back in, One side i used a C-Clamp and the other side was a lot harder because it was too close in, not too far out. so i had to wedge it, By myself haha, took awhile.

any way when i took the old springs out , there was a rubber spacer on the top of them, I left them out, should i have left them on?

oh and taking off those shock absorbers really showed how terribly i need them replaced. They are the stock ones and my truck has 138k
02 Rodeo LS, OME 912 lift, Maxxis bighorns 265/75/16, 44" LED bar roof mounted,2"wheel spacers , CURT hitch , air horn , line-x rocker panels,new exhaust yeoo
02rodeoLS
Loyal P'up

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby Ripah28 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:42 pm

like the wheels-sharpe looking
96 trooper
4" susp lift
285 guard dogs
HD tie rods
..................NO ROAD NO PROBLEM
Ripah28
Trail Scout

Have thanks: 9 times

Postby mountainrodeo » Sun May 04, 2014 10:09 pm

I just did this mod on my 2000 rodeo. Do I need a longer shock for the rear? If so, what size.

For this post the author mountainrodeo was thanked by:
Esuzu
mountainrodeo
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 1 time

Re:

Postby Esuzu » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:33 am

Dae wrote:nice write up!

Lol. When I did mine, I forgot my shop manual at home that day, so we ended up just dropping the whole rear axle and sliding the OME coils right in. :oops:
The top upper link bolt was also kinda a PITA, but we got it done in an hour and a half, and changed the shocks while we were at it. :D
Did you replace the rear shocks with longer ones, or just use the stock length. Going to do this lift on the weekend, and wanna be preparred with the right stuff.
Esuzu
Drives on Pavement

Postby Quinn88 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:53 am

Great read helped me through my spring swap today thanks a lot for the tutorial
Quinn88
Drives on Pavement

Postby Enemigo » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:18 am

Great write up, not the first time I've read through it either.
Is there any reason to not grab a pair of the KYB K-flex springs for the Trooper, brand new, from Rockauto for $50/ea instead of gambling on used springs?

Also, I saw some early discussion asking if the lift would be more significant on an Amigo, but never saw that question answered. Is there another thread I could search to find what length shock to install to make full use of this lift, or is the common suggestion to call OldManEmu or Calmini and just ask?

Thanks.
Enemigo
Trail Scout

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby egagnon086 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:38 pm

On an amigo it gave me 2" of lift.
egagnon086
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 83 times

Postby Enemigo » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:23 pm

Perfect, thanks.
Enemigo
Trail Scout

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby chimpboy » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:17 pm

I am looking to put 31s on my Rodeo (Frontera) and considering trooper (Jackaroo) springs in the rear. I have access to a trooper I can raid for parts - just wondering what else it is sensible to grab. For example does it make sense to grab brake lines or anything like that as well? Also, what about the torsion bars? Do trooper torsion bars also swap over, and if so are they heavier duty?

Alternatively (and for me, preferably) I wouldn't mind trying to fit the 31s without lift, and with just a bit of fender trimming. But that question probably belongs elsewhere.
2000 Isuzu Rodeo aka Holden Frontera - 6VD1 DOHC - 4L30E
chimpboy
Loyal P'up

Previous

Return to Drivetrain Mods